Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 11:33 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,843,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
yeah, I think I'll vote for Hagan. I was a Republican, I am a registered independent but I'm going to switch to registered democrat. These past 2 years, I've decided I align much more with democrats. Mostly due to how extreme the far right has become (Tea Party). After the tea party, I'm sick of the Pubs. I do like Romney & McCain & now Glenn Beck much more than the Huckabees, Cruz, and Sean hannitys of the party
Actually, it is to your advantage to remain Unaffiliated (no such thing as "Registered Independent" in NC), because you can still vote in either party's Primary (the only time party is an issue) to vote against the scariest candidate (since Primaries tend to bring out the loons on both sides) or if you are truly independent, you'll probably find someone in one party you like one year and the other the next year--remaining Unaffiliated gives you more choice of voting.

Also, it confuses the parties as to which one can count on your support. And when it comes time to gerrymander again, they won't know which camp to count you in.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:44 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,035,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Don't vote for people you don't approve of. Either vote for the best candidate on the ballot, or vote for noone. Voting for one of the two party candidates based on the "lesser of two evils" thought process just perpetuates the system. Nothing will ever change as long as the status quo is kept. It boggles the mind that people cannot grasp this simple concept. Even educated people will vote down party lines, then act shocked when they realize one party is in bed with the other. Or worse, they excuse the atrocities of their own party whenever it is in power. Kind of like how all the anti-war Democrats disappeared in 2009.
This is terrible advice... You can't reprimand me for voting the lesser of evils as perpetuating the system and then tell me to not vote. LOL

Old 09-29-2014, 11:58 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,035,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I hestitate to respond to you again. But since most of your response to me was thoughtful, I will say this.

You don't vote for a BASE. You vote for a candidate. If what you say is true about yourself, then voting for the same idiot that already holds the seat and has done nothing about your concerns in 6 years, is the most illogical thing you can do.

I've said before there is no difference between American "conservatism" and "liberalism". It doesn't matter which party that you vote for. Unfortunately, there are many, as demonstrated here, who are perpetually fighting this battle and their only arguments is to ignore what their candidate has done and insult the other. i.e "voting for who will cause the least harm".

This is your only real chance to have a say in the matter so make it count.
Let's separate the US Senate vote for a second. As I stated, this is a conscious decision because I personally feel it's more important to help try and keep the GOP from gaining control of the Senate.

However, as idealistic as you are about a candidate vs the base; it's pure folly when it comes to their actual actions and votes. What happens to a GOP politician that doesn't toe the line? How fast do they get a mega funded TP primary challenge if they look the wrong way? Heck, you could get a challenge in some districts just for being seen shaking the POTUS' hand. You stray from the base even in the slightest and you're branded a RINO. The candidates are swallowed up by the base (money) and assimilated (Borg reference here) - it's completely broken.

Help me understand how it gets fixed... show me a candidate who won't be handled and absorbed.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:19 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,555,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
This is terrible advice... You can't reprimand me for voting the lesser of evils as perpetuating the system and then tell me to not vote. LOL
I didn't tell you not to vote. I said don't vote for those you don't approve of. Whatever though. You'll get the candidate that you deserve:

Old 09-29-2014, 02:26 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,682,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Actually, it is to your advantage to remain Unaffiliated (no such thing as "Registered Independent" in NC), because you can still vote in either party's Primary .....
I'm not so sure about that. While the GOP lets unaffiliated voters vote in their primary, the Democrats, I'm pretty sure, do not. (unless it recently changed)

Old 09-29-2014, 03:06 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,402,732 times
Quote:
Actually, it is to your advantage to remain Unaffiliated (no such thing as "Registered Independent" in NC), because you can still vote in either party's Primary (the only time party is an issue) to vote against the scariest candidate (since Primaries tend to bring out the loons on both sides) or if you are truly independent, you'll probably find someone in one party you like one year and the other the next year--remaining Unaffiliated gives you more choice of voting.

Also, it confuses the parties as to which one can count on your support. And when it comes time to gerrymander again, they won't know which camp to count you in.
Yeah, unaffiliated voter. Didn't think about the gerrymandering issue. Good points.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:34 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,719,908 times
Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. While the GOP lets unaffiliated voters vote in their primary, the Democrats, I'm pretty sure, do not. (unless it recently changed)
I'm unaffiliated. I have been offered my choice of Democratic, Republican, or Libertarian as well as unaffiliated ballots in every primary since I've lived here.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm unaffiliated. I have been offered my choice of Democratic, Republican, or Libertarian as well as unaffiliated ballots in every primary since I've lived here.
You are correct. Apparently the law was changed sometime ago in the past.

Is it DOOM for Democrats in North Carolina?

Time to dump my registration with the democrats.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:53 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,843,828 times
Quote:
They most certainly do, and have since at least 2008. I have voted in both parties' primaries over the past few years, as my public voter record on the Board of Elections site would show.
I used to actually switch party registration every primary if I felt strongly about one Primary election or another (as long as Jesse Helms was running, I was registered Republican, so I could vote against him in both the Primary and the General), but once both parties began allowing Unaffiliated voters to vote in their primary (they did so at the same time, as I recall, since it would be a huge disadvantage for one to allow it and one not), I switched to that and don't really know why anybody would not be Unaffiliated unless they were actually running for office in one party.

Once again, your 'facts' are not researched.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:

Once again, your 'facts' are not researched.
First of all I did not state it as fact. In fact I left doubt that I was correct about it. Second did you miss my previous post? I already agreed that I was wrong about it.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 09-30-2014 at 01:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina