Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 12:36 PM

28 posts, read 45,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
I sure did!
You want something hard to find, try NESN for the Beanpot final next Monday...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 10:40 AM

378 posts, read 246,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Yep...it is a Raycom thing.

You ever wonder why they have Robert Trent Jones golf trail commercials? It's because Raycom also owns that.

ACC Commish John Swofford is in bed with Raycom...in fact I believe his son is a high up for them. He even took less money on the ACC's TV deal because he wanted Raycom to own rights to ACC broadcasts (that ESPN doesn't pick up). Many will say its a cultural thing, but in reality its a corporate thing.
My NBC affiliate, when thery had the rights to the ACC games, would sometimes preempt St. Elsewhere to air the games. However sometimes, the FOX station would air the game instead, so that St. Elsewhere would air on the NBC station

Old 09-12-2016, 11:21 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
In RDU the ABC station is an O&O. In Charlotte it's the Fox station.

WBTV, owned by Raycom, the producer of ACC basketball, preempts CBS programming at the drop of a hat.
Having one O&O means that you have one station with a stable schedule. I lived with it & worked in the business. I remember that at one point it was happening so often with one station that it was effecting a specific network's ratings & the network was so irate that when certain shows got bumped, the network would bid the show out to the independents to have the shows aired with the rest of the country.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:27 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
ACC basketball is so important to to the Triangle that WRAL listed it as one of the main reasons they left CBS for NBC this year. CBS was no longer going to allow them to pre-empt for ACC sports. I can't imagine what they make off selling spots in those games.

The only annoying thing to me is that a few years ago, Raycom and the ACC decided to start noon football games at 12:30 so they could air a commentary show first. It screws over the start of the network game that usually starts at 3:30 - SEC (CBS), Notre Dame (NBC) or ESPN's broadcast pick on ABC.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:47 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
ACC basketball is so important to to the Triangle that WRAL listed it as one of the main reasons they left CBS for NBC this year. CBS was no longer going to allow them to pre-empt for ACC sports. I can't imagine what they make off selling spots in those games.

The only annoying thing to me is that a few years ago, Raycom and the ACC decided to start noon football games at 12:30 so they could air a commentary show first. It screws over the start of the network game that usually starts at 3:30 - SEC (CBS), Notre Dame (NBC) or ESPN's broadcast pick on ABC.
As someone who was a student at an ACC school at that time and attended almost all home games and HATED noon games; I'd have to say I disagree with you on this!

Old 09-12-2016, 07:24 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
From your mouth to God's ears. I'd be willing to bet the ratings for ACC hoops are 3x whatever the regular network programming would be. Maybe more.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:32 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
As mentioned, WBTV in Charlotte is a flagship Raycom owned station, and Raycom produces the ACC telecasts. However, if WBTV feels a certain game may not command a high viewing audience, it will go ahead and air regular CBS programming. The ACC game will move to WJZY-46 or WMYT-55, the FOX owned stations. Which were formerly owned by Capitol in Raleigh, the owners of WRAL. Although this year, things may change a bit as the ACC has a new contract with ESPN. Not sure if they will still have the Raycom network, but hopefully some of the games will still be available on over the air TV.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
As mentioned, WBTV in Charlotte is a flagship Raycom owned station, and Raycom produces the ACC telecasts. However, if WBTV feels a certain game may not command a high viewing audience, it will go ahead and air regular CBS programming. The ACC game will move to WJZY-46 or WMYT-55, the FOX owned stations. Which were formerly owned by Capitol in Raleigh, the owners of WRAL. Although this year, things may change a bit as the ACC has a new contract with ESPN. Not sure if they will still have the Raycom network, but hopefully some of the games will still be available on over the air TV.
My NBC station would do the same thing. If they felt that a certain game would not command a high viewing audience, they'd show A Year In The Life and St. Elsewhere instead(the ACC games back then started at 9:00 back then) the FOX station(FOX didn't have a full schedule back then) would air the game instead.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:59 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderson400 View Post
My NBC station would do the same thing. If they felt that a certain game would not command a high viewing audience, they'd show A Year In The Life and St. Elsewhere instead(the ACC games back then started at 9:00 back then) the FOX station(FOX didn't have a full schedule back then) would air the game instead.
Back then the games were aired on WYFF-4.

More recently the ACC Raycom games are carried on 13-WLOS in the Asheville and Greenville-Spartanburg markets. If they don't want to preempt ABC, they will move games to sister station WMYA-40.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:12 AM

The reason that WYFF-4 gave up those games was because of how great NBC's lineup had gotten in 94-95(and i'm thinking that NBC was thinking that they didn't want WYFF-4 to preempt what was one of their top hits at that time in ER for ACC games. They went through that mess with St. Elsewhere, and also other shows like Empty Nest, Nurses, and Sisters sometimes, so why risk preemptons during winter when there were other stations in the market to carry the games?) ABC didn't really have a strong lineup, so having WLOS-13 carry the games made sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina