Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 04:01 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,302,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Very nice. Everyone isn't expected to agree with or support same-sex marriage, but certain people are expected to do their jobs without blatant discrimination. The victory for marriage equality has been hard fought and we're seeing the poor losers show their true colors.
Of course, the legislature determines what their jobs actually are, at least until the matter goes to court, rather than internet sophomores and armchair experts.

Regarding the victory for homosexual marriage, the Supreme Court has not yet ruled on the basics. It may well be (or not) that one person decides the issue for us here in NC -- the Supreme Court's swing voter -- despite the express will of the people of North Carolina, their legislature, and the fundamental notion of federalism. Congratulations go to "the media" in the long term for turning the discussion away from degenerate behavior and turning it toward the alleged civil rights of the aggrieved.

One secure victory for the homosexual lobby is that they have all but destroyed the Episcopal Church (and several other mainline Protestant denominations) in the United States, with the help of one generation of ****-poor clergy. I'm sure that this will be viewed in a positive light by those of a certain mindset. Perhaps it helps clergy who can't keep their hands off children feel better about themselves.

I wonder what the rules for homosexual divorce will turn out to be, and who will be the champions of the cause . . .

Old 06-03-2015, 04:19 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,373,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I wonder what the rules for homosexual divorce will turn out to be, and who will be the champions of the cause . . .
Why should they be any different than they are for the rest of the population. You would "champion" otherwise?

Old 06-03-2015, 04:26 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,066,035 times
Quote:
Of course, the legislature determines what their jobs actually are, at least until the matter goes to court, rather than internet sophomores and armchair experts.

Regarding the victory for homosexual marriage, the Supreme Court has not yet ruled on the basics. It may well be (or not) that one person decides the issue for us here in NC -- the Supreme Court's swing voter -- despite the express will of the people of North Carolina, their legislature, and the fundamental notion of federalism. Congratulations go to "the media" in the long term for turning the discussion away from degenerate behavior and turning it toward the alleged civil rights of the aggrieved.

One secure victory for the homosexual lobby is that they have all but destroyed the Episcopal Church (and several other mainline Protestant denominations) in the United States, with the help of one generation of ****-poor clergy. I'm sure that this will be viewed in a positive light by those of a certain mindset. Perhaps it helps clergy who can't keep their hands off children feel better about themselves.

Destroyed the Episcopal Church by being accepted? LOL! That's a pretty typical ignorant point of view...it's not about a particular mindset but simply one of love and acceptance for fellow humans. That isn't hard to understand and is neither liberal or conservative.

The victory is that marriage equality is legal in NC and 37 other states. It doesn't matter what the SCOTUS decides for this state - it's been decided...so that tells everyone who the internet sophomore actually is.

You just can't bring yourself to type the word "gay" can you? I am always surprised when I run across someone with this antiquated viewpoint, but I shouldn't be because I know they exist.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Destroyed the Episcopal Church by being accepted? LOL! That's a pretty typical ignorant point of view...it's not about a particular mindset but simply one of love and acceptance for fellow humans. That isn't hard to understand and is neither liberal or conservative.
Regarding the Episcopal Church, check the membership and attendance numbers. The Church is literally dying. And why not? Why would anyone take them seriously? Let's all join hands and hug and kiss. And let's hope that our priest behaves himself or herself. What a modern-day crock the Episcopal Church has become! Too bad. Only one generation ago it was a great institution.

Quote:

The victory is that marriage equality is legal in NC and 37 other states. It doesn't matter what the SCOTUS decides for this state - it's been decided...so that tells everyone who the internet sophomore actually is.
Homosexual marriage has not been made legal in NC simply by the attorney general's unilateral decision not to enforce the law.

Quote:

You just can't bring yourself to type the word "gay" can you? I am always surprised when I run across someone with this antiquated viewpoint, but I shouldn't be because I know they exist.
I think I can use pretty much any word that I want, without your permission. But isn't homosexual the correct term? Sounds a lot more warm and fuzzy than the traditional terms that refer to them. And judging by your post here, I would guess that you are surprised by a lot of things. Try not to let it get you down, Joe

Old 06-03-2015, 04:46 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,404,138 times
Quote:
Regarding the Episcopal Church, check the membership and attendance numbers. The Church is literally dying. And why not? Why would anyone take them seriously? Let's all join hands and hug and kiss. And let's hope that our priest behaves himself or herself. What a modern-day crock the Episcopal Church has become!
The Episcopal Church has been shrinking for decades, as have almost all mainline protestant denominations in the US. I look forward to the day when all organized religion is gone.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Why should they be any different than they are for the rest of the population.
I would think that they would be the same, but one never knows.

At least it will provide robust job opportunities for personal injury lawyers who want to raise themselves up at least one small step.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:53 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,238,116 times
Quote:
You just can't bring yourself to type the word "gay" can you?
I can't remember the particulars but I either heard or read an interesting OpEd a good while back that talked about how conservative political/social orgs "focus grouped" all their talking points around gay issues and how using the word homosexual has a greater negative effect on the public when talking to the media, etc. I think that it has been shown to have a more negative cultural effect on people because it emphasizes the "sex" part of a gay person's life. In short, it plays to the "icky" factor of segment of the population. Pay particular attention to the term being consistently used from the most virulently anti-gay talking heads. I'm sure that they all got the memo to do so.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:54 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,373,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
The Episcopal Church has been shrinking for decades, as have almost all mainline protestant denominations in the US. I look forward to the day when all organized religion is gone.
Regardless what you feel about my posts in the other thread, we agree on SO MUCH. Can't rep you again because of that.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I look forward to the day when all organized religion is gone.
I have no doubt that you do.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:02 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,404,138 times
Quote:
I have no doubt that you do.
Good, you shouldn't. Overtly religious people are the most narcissistic, self absorbed, destructive people on this planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina