Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2015, 08:56 PM

3 posts, read 8,278 times

Advertisements

I am new to this forum but had a question I thought someone here could help me with.

My husband and I travelled from Mount Holly NC to Charlotte NC when we got married in 2010, we stopped for lunch at a Subway somewhere near Davidson County we came across this tiny log cabin church, just large enough for a few pews and a small alter area. There was a sign on the door that reads "Little Church/Chapel of God's Love."
We wanted to visit it again but can't remember where it is, if someone knows the street it's on and the town it's in I would be very grateful. We were on Interstate 85 when we exited for lunch.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 04:54 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
I think you have your geography confused. You don't go anywhere near Davidson County traveliing from Mt. Holly to Charlotte. My guess is you were coming from somewhere else to Charlotte, most likely from the direction of Greensboro. There is a Little Chapel of God's Love near Trinity, just off I-85 in Randolph County, just before you enter Davidson County:

"The Little Chapel of God’s Love, once a smokehouse, has also been repurposed as a roadside chapel. Visitors who look up can still see the ceiling hooks that were used to hang slabs of meat. About 40 years ago, a local woman named Kathryn Mendenhall Smithey acquired the old structure and moved it to its current location on N.C. Highway 62 near Trinity, to be used specifically as a prayer chapel. She has since died, but the chapel remains her legacy, a peaceful haven for neighbors and passing motorists who want a few minutes of solitude for spiritual reflection."

"The chapel sits only about 50 feet off the highway, but even as cars zip by, peace fills the room, which is about the size of a bedroom. A four-foot-tall wooden cross hangs on the front wall above the altar, and several small pieces of religious art adorn the chapel. In one corner stands a lectern bearing an old King James Bible. Six short wooden benches — each of which can seat two or three people — serve as pews."

More can be found in this article:

Roadside Chapels: Small Space, Large Presence

Old 08-19-2015, 10:29 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
It's a nice story.

I think I found it on Google maps: http://bit.ly/1NuOu99

The street address is 5170 Hwy 62 in Trinity, NC .

Old 08-19-2015, 12:13 PM

Talking Thank you!!!

Thanks to both of you that helped me find this church. Carolinadawg2 I did have my geography confused, we were travelling from Holly Springs not Mt Holly. Thank you again for your help we will definitely be visiting it again.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:15 PM

Talking Goldenage1

Thanks so much goldenage1!!!!!

Old 02-20-2016, 07:07 AM

2 posts, read 4,812 times
Smile Lovely Chapel

I have been visiting the "Little Chapel of God's Love" since 2004. I visited Mrs. Smithey before her passing. A stranger to her, I explained that I was a chapel member and thanked her for her gift to the Randolph county and Christian community everywhere. I visit regularly cleaning up, restocking items, reading prayers, and praying for them. I leave feeling HIS presence and thanking the blessing that Kathryn has left for travelers. If you know her family please let them know my deep appreciation of Kathryn and sympathy for her death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I think you have your geography confused. You don't go anywhere near Davidson County traveliing from Mt. Holly to Charlotte. My guess is you were coming from somewhere else to Charlotte, most likely from the direction of Greensboro. There is a Little Chapel of God's Love near Trinity, just off I-85 in Randolph County, just before you enter Davidson County:

"The Little Chapel of God’s Love, once a smokehouse, has also been repurposed as a roadside chapel. Visitors who look up can still see the ceiling hooks that were used to hang slabs of meat. About 40 years ago, a local woman named Kathryn Mendenhall Smithey acquired the old structure and moved it to its current location on N.C. Highway 62 near Trinity, to be used specifically as a prayer chapel. She has since died, but the chapel remains her legacy, a peaceful haven for neighbors and passing motorists who want a few minutes of solitude for spiritual reflection."

"The chapel sits only about 50 feet off the highway, but even as cars zip by, peace fills the room, which is about the size of a bedroom. A four-foot-tall wooden cross hangs on the front wall above the altar, and several small pieces of religious art adorn the chapel. In one corner stands a lectern bearing an old King James Bible. Six short wooden benches — each of which can seat two or three people — serve as pews."

More can be found in this article:

Roadside Chapels: Small Space, Large Presence

Old 02-20-2016, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 4,812 times
Smile Lovely Chapel - annette

I have been visiting "The Little Chapel of God's Love" since about 2000. I visited Mrs. Smithey at the nursing facility before she passed away. As a stranger to her, I explained to her my love for the chapel and deep appreciation for her beautiful gift to Randolph County and the Christian community everywhere.
I think this was around 2007 and when I said "chapel" she lit up like sunshine. I go by the chapel and clean up, restock pens and paper, read prayers and pray for those who left them. I leave with HIS presence and Kathryn's blessing to travelers. What a gift she has given to all who stop. A woman full of God's grace.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,932 times
Default Hwy 62 Chapel

This little chapel is off of Hwy 62. In trinity if you get off on the finch farm exit off of US85 you would take a right coming from greensboro go to the stop light make another right and it will be on your left
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina