Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 11:19 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times

Advertisements

The big musical acts who are not cancelling or saying anything about HB-2, are of greater interest to me than the ones who are cancelling! They are the ones that perpetuate bigotry and are only worrried about getting paid! I'll be casting a suspect eye their way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 11:31 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
The big musical acts who are not cancelling or saying anything about HB-2, are of greater interest to me than the ones who are cancelling! They are the ones that perpetuate bigotry and are only worrried about getting paid! I'll be casting a suspect eye their way!
You can't really think that way. Many of the NC communities that attract major concerts opposed Amendment 1 and HB2. The HB2 fight is liberal NC (Asheville, Boone, the Triangle, and Charlotte) vs the rest of the state. The irony is that Charlotte and the Triangle has the most to lose.

Just like Amendment 1, most people in NC supports HB2. Let's not forget that the Dems chose to walk out on the vote rather than oppose it. This is bigger than Dem vs Rep. This is liberal vs conservative. The truth is that MANY Dems in this state are more backwards than a republican from Washington state. We have a lot of Dems, but many of those Dems struggle with non-heterosexual civil rights. This is especially true when it comes to religious Dems who are white, black, and Hispanic. They ALL agree with conservatives when it comes to THIS issue.

NC prides itself on inclusiveness and "family values". Family values is a code with a double-meaning. In this state, non-heterosexuals are not considered "family" by most Dems and Reps. IMO, this state needed a public embarrassment like HB2 as a wake up call. NC has NOT "fallen" from being a liberal utopia. The truth; NC never was such a place outside of 2-3 specific NC areas. The fight between liberal NC and conservative NC was only a matter of time.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 04-19-2016 at 11:53 AM..

Old 04-19-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
You can't really think that way. Many of the NC communities that attract major concerts opposed Amendment 1 and HB2. The HB2 fight is liberal NC (Asheville, Boone, the Triangle, and Charlotte) vs the rest of the state. The irony is that Charlotte and the Triangle has the most to lose.
I also find it ironic that Charlotte and the Triangle have the most to lose in terms of the bigger musical acts cancelling their bookings, but since the general assembly sooo want to share sales tax money with the poorer counties, cancelled acts will in the long run, hurt the smaller counties whose political views might align more closely to the GA. The point I was trying to make is that some musical acts won't give a rat's rear about HB2 and those are the ones that should be boycotted by people who oppose HB2.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:49 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times
Quote:
Why?

Don't they have a right to conduct business in this state and earn some money while pleasing their fans? Are you boycotting anything in your home state? Are you not going to work because of the law? Are you not buying any goods/services that originated in NC as a way to protest this law?

Old 04-19-2016, 11:50 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
How tolerant of you to say.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Why?

Don't they have a right to conduct business in this state and earn some money while pleasing their fans? Are you boycotting anything in your home state? Are you not going to work because of the law? Are you not buying any goods/services that originated in NC as a way to protest this law?
The musical acts that support HB2 are most likely not ones I want to see. And yes, if a local company here in NC announces their support of HB2, you can sure bet I'll take my business elsewhere! Money talks, bs walks!

Old 04-19-2016, 12:13 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
So the question is, what do you consider being progressive and why? Serious question.
If you have a statement or question about the topic at hand, I'm glad to answer.

I have no interest in arguing semantics though. So, no offense, but I define "progressive" EXACTLY like the dictionary does. Matter-of-fact, I define EVERY word exactly like the dictionary does. I find it's less confusing when trying to communicate.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:10 AM

325 posts, read 368,912 times
Cheer up, NCers. Maybe Ted Nugent or Toby Keith will step in and fill that void.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina