Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 08:13 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Wow, so much outrage here from men on behalf of us women. As I've mentioned on other threads, I'm a life-long swimmer, pushing 60, and I can't remember the last time I encountered a bathroom or locker room that didn't have individual stalls. I sometimes swim at one municipal pool that has a large group shower, and everyone showers in their suits, then changes in a stall in the locker room. Somehow I go through life seeing almost no naked people in public facilities.

All this obsession about possibly seeing a penis? Do you guys realize how creepy you sound? The fact that you keep harping on how men will sneak into women's locker rooms to flash their junk and leer at naked girls makes me think this is some kind of fantasy you're carrying around yourselves that you are projecting onto other men. Kind of like how fat, grubby homophobes always joke about how gays will hit on them in the shower. As if.

You know who I worry about? Trans men who have breasts who are forced to use a men's locker room. Breasts are an easy part of the transition, with hormones and/or implants. It's easy to hide what's in your pants. Breasts are another story. I'll bet this is where a lot of the violence against trans people takes place.
I agree with you, totally. I keep throwing out the name Christine Keeler, which they totally ignore, because it's not convenient. Then they berate me for saying that places without individual stalls could mandate bathing suits, like that is unheard of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
What's the minimum wage in NY as compared to NC? I guess if the state does its job, the major cities don't have to!
Emissary, these are people who don't remember that before Reagan there was no question that minimum wage was tied to the cost of living.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:06 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
Most violence against trans people is related to prostitution.
Are you sure you aren't confusing transgender with transvestite? In either case, could you cite your source for that tidbit?

Old 05-24-2016, 10:33 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
From the Charlotte Observer:

The actual editorial in full, not pieces of it being taken out of context by those with a conservative bias: Taking the fear out of bathrooms | The Charlotte Observer

An editorial responding to reaction to the original editorial:
Rush Limbaugh distorts HB2 Observer editorial and truth is the loser | The Charlotte Observer

BTW - "women and girls sharing bathrooms and locker rooms with someone who has different genitalia" - doesn't mean that women and girls have to actually "see" male genitalia. There are such things as private stalls and changing areas. As I and other women have posted, I've never been in a multi-facility women's bathroom that didn't have separate private stalls or a locker room that didn't offer private or curtained changing areas.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:56 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
BTW - "women and girls sharing bathrooms and locker rooms with someone who has different genitalia" - doesn't mean that women and girls have to actually "see" male genitalia. There are such things as private stalls and changing areas. As I and other women have posted, I've never been in a multi-facility women's bathroom that didn't have separate private stalls or a locker room that didn't offer private or curtained changing areas.
Locker rooms do not have separate changing stalls, although some new showers have a dry-off area with an extra curtain.

I find this whole argument that women don't change clothes in locker rooms and that they shower in their swimsuit delusional. These laws affect thousands of female locker rooms across the country. Are you telling me that you believe women and girls play sports at schools, universities and community centers, then wait until they get home to shower or change out of their sweaty underwear? Then why are schools still paying for female lockers and showers at all? I can promise you that a lot of men are changing out of their dirty, smelly clothes, I imagine women are as well and you're being dishonest.

Last edited by vulfpeck; 05-24-2016 at 11:17 AM..

Old 05-24-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Are you sure you aren't confusing transgender with transvestite? In either case, could you cite your source for that tidbit?
I'll try to dig it up for you.

Transgenders and transvestites are both considered gender identities according to the DOJ and Charlotte's wording. According to their rules, any "gender expression" or "gender identity" is to be treated as the person's actual gender.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
Locker rooms do not have separate changing stalls, although some new showers have a dry-off area with an extra curtain.
Female locker rooms have bathrooms. The toilets are in stalls. Females who choose to, go to the bathroom stalls & change. It's been that way for decades. I told you this before but you & your buddy thought that it was clever to berate me. Now other females are telling you the same things & you continue to say that you know more than females about what goes on in female locker rooms & showers. If you're getting your information from Rush Limbaugh, guess what? Unless he stumbled into one while high as a kite, he's never been in one.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:18 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,289 times
A first-person report from today's NY Times

What It Feels Like to Use the Wrong Bathroom

"There was a lot of turnover at this job, so every two weeks a fresh batch of employees seemed to come in. This meant that every two weeks new men would come into the bathroom, assume they’d accidentally entered the women’s room when they saw me there, and then glare at me when they figured it out. Some insisted that I was in the wrong place — until they realized what I was, and got really angry. It got so bad that I stopped going to the bathroom at work altogether, and I developed urinary tract infections. So then I stopped drinking water before and during work.

"That doesn’t mean it’s not still an issue when I have to use a public restroom. The fear is still there — that someone will take offense, get angry and attack me, or that I’ll be made to leave a business, that I’ll be accused of sexual misconduct, arrested and sent to men’s jail.

"That’s the main thing I wish the supporters of these laws would realize: We are much more frightened of you than you are of us."

Old 05-24-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Female locker rooms have bathrooms. The toilets are in stalls. Females who choose to, go to the bathroom stalls & change. It's been that way for decades. I told you this before but you & your buddy thought that it was clever to berate me. Now other females are telling you the same thing & you continue to say that you know more than females about what goes on in female locker rooms & showers. If you're getting your information from Rush Limbaugh, guess what? Unless he stumbled into one while high as a kite, he's never been in one.
I design locker rooms. I'm telling you that the changing areas are in front of the lockers. Sports teams and gyms can consist of dozens of women and girls. These girls are not waiting turns to change in the toilet.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:25 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Female locker rooms have bathrooms. The toilets are in stalls. Females who choose to, go to the bathroom stalls & change. It's been that way for decades. I told you this before but you & your buddy thought that it was clever to berate me. Now other females are telling you the same thing & you continue to say that you know more than females about what goes on in female locker rooms & showers.
Lots of women's locker rooms have private curtained areas specifically for changing, in addition to the toilet stalls. I can't speak for men's locker rooms, as I've never been in one.

They also think we have pillow fights while wearing pink babydoll pajamas at our slumber parties. Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina