Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 08:16 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
For the record, I guess there are 2 of us now.
Happened to me, too. That's why I'm Ms.Charlotte now (formerly NCMom).

Anyway, regret moving to NC? I just came back from a week in NJ. I am so happy to be HOME!! I've lived here only since August and I felt completely out of place in NJ. I was born and raised there, and yes, there are many wonderful things about the area, and many beautiful towns. But it sure isn't for me! They can keep the bagels and pizza. Get me to Bojangles!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 08:43 AM

33 posts, read 122,427 times
I don't mean to offend anyone, I hope I didn't.

relocating is a big deal (as you all know) and I don't want to make any mistakes. NC is still an option for us. But I don't want it to turn out like another FL and that in 5 yrs, people will be sick of the congestion and find somewhere else to flock to. My DH and I are nesters, not "flockers". we want to move somewhere and stay. we're not looking to buy cheap and move out as soon as we can make some equity.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:47 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,107 times
No reason for anyone to be offended. We moved down here to be closer to my in-laws and my sick Mother In Law. However that has not worked out as planned. I am happy for people who find a great life down here and almost wish that we could do the same. I am not looking to make money either, just not to lose it (but who isn't). That and to get some quality back in our lives.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:49 AM

33 posts, read 122,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
No reason for anyone to be offended. We moved down here to be closer to my in-laws and my sick Mother In Law. However that has not worked out as planned. I am happy for people who find a great life down here and almost wish that we could do the same. I am not looking to make money either, just not to lose it (but who isn't). That and to get some quality back in our lives.
so what is it that you don't like about where you live?

Old 11-28-2006, 08:50 AM

463 posts, read 1,651,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
For the record, I guess there are 2 of us now.
Oh dear, that could get confusing. I can't see the underscore in your member name when I'm reading your posts. It's only when I hit reply and quote one of your posts that it's noticeable. Other than that the only difference in the new member's name is the capital N in Native. I vote that anyone who uses an existing member name put a two or 2 after it.

Regards,

Cassie

Old 11-28-2006, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you. How do you feel your quality of life has diminished? Where did you move from? Does your spouse feel the same? Sorry for the 20 questions.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:30 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Oh dear, that could get confusing. I can't see the underscore in your member name when I'm reading your posts. It's only when I hit reply and quote one of your posts that it's noticeable. Other than that the only difference in the new member's name is the capital N in Native. I vote that anyone who uses an existing member name put a two or 2 after it.

Regards,

Cassie
I second that! Why aren't similar names blocked as an option? That could get real confusing!

Welcome back, NCMom, I mean NJMom, I mean Ms. Charlotte! (lol)
How was the drive? It must be nice to get back home and realize you made the right decision. Good for you!

Old 11-28-2006, 09:38 AM

463 posts, read 1,651,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Bound View Post
I don't mean to offend anyone, I hope I didn't.

relocating is a big deal (as you all know) and I don't want to make any mistakes. NC is still an option for us. But I don't want it to turn out like another FL and that in 5 yrs, people will be sick of the congestion and find somewhere else to flock to. My DH and I are nesters, not "flockers". we want to move somewhere and stay. we're not looking to buy cheap and move out as soon as we can make some equity.
You didn't offend me.

I'd suggest staying away from the areas to which people are flocking. You have valid concerns and the congestion is about 10 times worse than it used to be. Also, IMHO, the posters on this forum represent only a fraction of the people who have recently moved or still plan to move to NC.

Regards,

Cassie

Old 11-28-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
I second that! Why aren't similar names blocked as an option? That could get real confusing!

Welcome back, NCMom, I mean NJMom, I mean Ms. Charlotte! (lol)
How was the drive? It must be nice to get back home and realize you made the right decision. Good for you!
Now get the order straight. It's first NJMom then NCMom.....etc.

I guess newer members don't realize it's confusing for those who have been using a name for months and suddenly have 2 identities.

Thanks for asking, stmaarten. My trip was good. Just long enough, if you know what I mean. It was good to see friends and family, but great to be back! Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful. One thing I noticed up North. Even for Thanksgiving they say "Have a nice holiday" I guess they are so used to being politically correct it's carried over to all holidays. Blech.

Hey Cassie, I agree with you. I think many people come here and are disappointed. It's good to have you and some others reminding potential newcomers that it really has to be researched-and that it should be a lifestyle they are willing and ready to embrace.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:57 PM

5 posts, read 18,955 times
Default I'm moving too

Dear NY,

Just to let you know, VA has personal property tax, too. It's not as bad as it seems, and believe it or not, taxes for all states balance out somehow. A lot of NY'ers are moving to NC because a lot of the headquarters in White Plains moved to Raleigh, Durham or RTP. Also, some big name companies have their headquarters moved there from other locations and , well, people flock to where there is work... I'm moving from the DC area and am lured by the real estate prices and ALSO by the whole mentality. North Carolina residents are the kindest people you'll meet. Only downside is there's not too much downtown available if you're used to big city life. Oh well, I'd rather have a yard to mow than live in a 1300 s.f. box 50 feet off the ground... Holden Beach rules!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina