Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:07 PM

44 posts, read 160,373 times

Advertisements

I am a 23 yr old recent graduate with a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration. I am from New Orleans, Louisiana, (The place I call the a**hole of the country). Since I am now fed up with the worst crime, public schools, real estate market, politician and corruption, low paying jobs, and the threat of a hurricane destroying everything you work for; I have decided to move to North Carolina. I have visited Charlotte and Raleigh. Both cities I have fell in love with. I leave this thread up to the citizens of this great state. Raleigh Vs. Charlotte. What city is better for me? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 06:12 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
Here is a link to a bunch of posts that compare these two cities:

Raleigh and Charlotte differences

Old 02-06-2008, 06:26 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola2212 View Post
I am a 23 yr old recent graduate with a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration. I am from New Orleans, Louisiana, (The place I call the a**hole of the country). Since I am now fed up with the worst crime, public schools, real estate market, politician and corruption, low paying jobs, and the threat of a hurricane destroying everything you work for; I have decided to move to North Carolina. I have visited Charlotte and Raleigh. Both cities I have fell in love with. I leave this thread up to the citizens of this great state. Raleigh Vs. Charlotte. What city is better for me? Thanks.
I used to live there and got out in 1989. I agree with your review of NOLA.

The new LA governor seems to offer some hope, though.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:29 PM

44 posts, read 160,373 times
Yes Bobby Jindal is the start that Louisiana needs, but I will be an old man before any real change happens. Decades of corruption takes a long time to be washed away. I wanna city that captures the fun and nightlife of New Orleans without being worried if I will be shot and mugged every night.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:27 AM

237 posts, read 915,277 times
Default raleigh

I did alot of research and charlotte has alot more crime and raleigh is closer to the ocean Both are better than NO tell the goverment who is spending 9 billion a month to clean thee own country first.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:37 AM

648 posts, read 2,981,137 times
Ah, the eternal question.

Someone who has lived in both cities relatively recently, and can see them objectively, should write a comprehensive post comparing and contrasting these two relocation Meccas. If it's good enough, make it a sticky.

As someone who has lived in Charlotte and almost lived in Raleigh (and thus did lots of research), I suppose I could give it a stab. Maybe if I can find the time. Until then if someone else would like to give it a shot...

Old 02-07-2008, 05:01 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,493,300 times
It really depends. We chose Raleigh to live because we had friends there, but when it came down to it, Charlotte was better for my husband's job.

In fact, he interviewed in Raleigh and they called back and said, "We really feel you are better suited for the Charlotte position." So, we ended up moving to Charlotte instead.

Dawn

Old 02-07-2008, 10:24 PM

68 posts, read 284,307 times
Raleigh Area:

Has less Crime.
Better educational institutions.
More of a suburban feel.
More college sports options.
Less public transit options.

Charlotte:

Hub Airport(You can fly direct almost anywhere in the continental US and major airports in the carribbean, mexico and eastern canada.)
More densely populated than Raleigh area.
More crime.
More professional sports options.
Way more public transit options.
Way more traffic.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:41 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,563,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GastoniaNative View Post
Raleigh Area:

Has less Crime.
Better educational institutions.
More of a suburban feel.
More college sports options.
Less public transit options.

Charlotte:

Hub Airport(You can fly direct almost anywhere in the continental US and major airports in the carribbean, mexico and eastern canada.)
More densely populated than Raleigh area.
More crime.
More professional sports options.
Way more public transit options.
Way more traffic.

Pretty accurate, but Raleigh (2,635.6 Per Sq. mile) is actually slightly more densely poulated than Charlotte (2,310.7 per sq. mile). Charlotte is a bigger area that is more spread out than Raleigh. Traffic is worse in Charlotte, but not "way more" worse. Also, don't kid yourself about public Transit...both areas are pretty bad when it comes to that. Charlotte has a small light rail option, but that is real small beans to what they really need and what Raleigh would really need too.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:40 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Pretty accurate, but Raleigh (2,635.6 Per Sq. mile) is actually slightly more densely poulated than Charlotte (2,310.7 per sq. mile). Charlotte is a bigger area that is more spread out than Raleigh. Traffic is worse in Charlotte, but not "way more" worse. Also, don't kid yourself about public Transit...both areas are pretty bad when it comes to that. Charlotte has a small light rail option, but that is real small beans to what they really need and what Raleigh would really need too.
YES Charlotte only has 1 (SOUTH) Light Rail Line...but plans for several more lines. Charlotte is already planning the NORTH Line. Charlotte is way ahead of Raleigh in that aspect. Raleigh is just in the planning stages...it will be years. Traffic in Charlotte is much worse than Raleigh. Double the people...double the traffic.

Raleigh is a nice place to raise a family with not much to do...but is a NICE city!

Charlotte is a nice place for young single professionals with alot to do.

Having lived in both...I prefer Charlotte...hands down.

I would suggest she visit both and then decide!

Coming from New Orleans and being Urban...Raleigh doesn't offer anything like what you are looking for but visit and then decide for yourself. Don't listen to me or anyone and you can't go wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina