Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 04:31 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,429,984 times

Advertisements

A lot of outrage against Cooper from Democrats, progressives, millenials, and LGBT who feel he sold out by agreeing to preclude local LGBT antidiscrimination protections until 2020. NC law is still just as backward and bigoted, so boycotts and embargoes should continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 04:33 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
A lot of outrage against Cooper from Democrats, progressives, millenials, and LGBT who feel he sold out by agreeing to preclude local LGBT antidiscrimination protections until 2020. NC law is still just as backward and bigoted, so boycotts and embargoes should continue.
I'm Gay and a Millennial and I support the compromise. Don't marginalize groups of people.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:44 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,429,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
I'm Gay and a Millennial and I support the compromise. Don't marginalize groups of people.
There is always the minority exception in any group, but that doesn't vitiate the general rule. The response has been strongly negative, and Cooper is bearing the brunt of the outrage.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:49 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,988 times
Quote:
There is always the minority exception in any group, but that doesn't vitiate the general rule. The response has been strongly negative, and Cooper is bearing the brunt of the outrage.
No hes not. ACC is coming back and fortune 500 companies are making announcements soon. People will calm down and actually read the compromise and realize it's not as bad as feared.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:55 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,322,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
No hes not. ACC is coming back and fortune 500 companies are making announcements soon. People will calm down and actually read the compromise and realize it's not as bad as feared.
Has the ACC or any Fortune 500 company said they were doing either of those things?

Old 03-30-2017, 05:00 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Credit Suisse said they were in favor of this effort and the ACC said we this was what they were looking for. NCAA hasn't said yet.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:07 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
If I were running the NCAA, I'd keep the ban for another year to remind the legislature of their ongoing stupidity! Let it cost the state more millions, lest they decide to re-implement some of the features of HB2 after three years!

Old 03-30-2017, 05:07 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
As long as Berger was involved, there wasn't going to be anything better. I think that the two lawyers could have done better.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:12 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,968,230 times
Quote:
I am bisexual, millennial, and progressive, and I support the repeal. The economic boycotts are mostly falling on people like me in the major cities, people who always opposed HB2. The damage to NC's reputation is too severe.

The sjws railing against it know full well we'll never get a full repeal from this General Assembly, and they're quite happy to throw trans women under the bus by forcing them to live under HB2 for two more years.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:15 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
There are LGBT groups who feel that Cooper betrayed them. I get why they're upset with the compromise, but what the hell did they expect Cooper to do? Veto the damn bill and risk any chance of doing away with HB2 in the foreseeable future?

They knew the GOP had veto-proof majorities in the GA and that Cooper wanted a full repeal from the get-go, but couldn't get it. The compromise is also temporary, since whenever the Democrats retake the GA, I'm pretty sure doing a full repeal will be the first thing they do.

Cooper was put in a "damned if I do, damned if I don't" situation. I don't blame him at all. He did the right thing by signing the bill, IMO.

I also don't think that it's a mere coincidence that the moratorium ends in 2020, a gubernatorial election year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina