Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2019, 12:26 PM

186 posts, read 177,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
Downtown Greensboro only has 2,683 people living downtown but we should see that number increase now that Carroll at Bellemeade is almost finished, as well as a residential project at South Elm. There are 13,739 people within a 1 mile radius of downtown.

Doesn't seem like much compared to Charlotte, but we're putting up positive numbers.

Source: https://downtowngreensboro.org/wp-co...18-Website.pdf
Thank you very much for the link. I am always happy to read such reports, so feel free to share them

At this point, every major NC city has come to recognize the importance of boosting its downtown population numbers and worked towards that goal. The vibrancy and overall feel of a city center is not strictly tied to the number of residents within its proper, but the higher the population, the more amenities will be justified for the near future. Caroll at Bellemeade will be the catalyst for Downtown Greensboro during this phase, although we need to recognize that the conversion of Wachovia Tower into a residential building (Center Point) also played a huge role and if we didn't have the economy slow-down in 2008 things would have probably looked much different today.

I am very anxious to hear of future announcements that will connect Southside with the CBD. The parcels bounded by Friendly Ave, Davie Str, Washington Str and Church Str will be a golden opportunity to build height and density. East of Church Str lies another major opportunity, but that will probably follow at a later time. This may be my imagination going wild, but I would love to see the aforementioned section being divided by a new street that will begin from Friendly Ave and end on Washington Str; maybe it will extend to the Greyhound Bus Station. Connecting February 1 Pl to Sycamore Str should also be possible. This would create new city blocks and more opportunities for development.

If the above could happen, then a development similar to Smokey Hollow (in Raleigh) could potentially add another 2000+ residents, plus create better connectivity with Southside. West of Elm Str things are already happening and it is only a matter of time before more residential developments get built South of the baseball field. Once Downtown Greensboro hits 5000 residents, things will happen faster because it appears to me that for cities like ours this is one of the sweet spots. I recall the days when were celebrating having 5500 residents in Downtown Raleigh, and today we have 8500 in Downtown proper and 16,900 within a mile radius. It is fun to watch all of our cities placing emphasis on downtown living and turning things around Exciting times, nevertheless

Old 03-25-2019, 01:07 PM

This is for Wilmington. For more information visit this link: Project Grace & Downtown Urban Development. There is another link, with more images of the proposal: New Hanover unveils Project Grace proposal in downtown Wilmington. Looks nice

Old 03-25-2019, 02:13 PM

511 posts, read 511,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Ah thanks for that brochure PDF. I figured a local would have better insight on how where to look for a report like that. I've been struggling finding accurate numbers for anything outside of Charlotte and Raleigh. Do you know how many units Bellemeade is bringing? And yeah I've been following the Greensboro thread and the potential hotels are nice but it looks like some residential is also slowing starting to build.
I had to look it up but an article from last year says 290 units.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:06 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,181 times
Quote:
I had to look it up but an article from last year says 290 units.
That should get Greensboro to 3k then.

In other news, RDU has a 48acre aviation park planned with 21 hangars that should make the area more attractive for corporations and HQ relocations.

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2019/03...553233#new_tab

Old 03-26-2019, 10:26 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,226,364 times
Quote:
Downtown Greensboro only has 2,683 people living downtown but we should see that number increase now that Carroll at Bellemeade is almost finished, as well as a residential project at South Elm. There are 13,739 people within a 1 mile radius of downtown.

Doesn't seem like much compared to Charlotte, but we're putting up positive numbers.

Source: https://downtowngreensboro.org/wp-co...18-Website.pdf
Thats a big change from 20 years ago when there were about 300 people or so living downtown. Two more residential projects are coming. Carroll at Bellemeade South and the South Elm Street mixed-use development at Gate City Blvd.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:05 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times
From Charlotte's developer Johnny Harris

Johnny Harris discusses restoring retail and the Triangle’s big fluby
David Mildenberg
Posted March 20, 2019
In Blog
Share this story:
• Duke University’s opposition to light rail continues “the single dumbest thing that has happened in North Carolina” — the Triangle’s failure to develop commuter rail between Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill. “The Triangle could have been the Silicon Valley of the East and nobody could have touched them. … You would have had Amazon in the Triangle.”

Old 03-26-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
From Charlotte's developer Johnny Harris

Johnny Harris discusses restoring retail and the Triangle’s big fluby
David Mildenberg
Posted March 20, 2019
In Blog
Share this story:
• Duke University’s opposition to light rail continues “the single dumbest thing that has happened in North Carolina” — the Triangle’s failure to develop commuter rail between Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill. “The Triangle could have been the Silicon Valley of the East and nobody could have touched them. … You would have had Amazon in the Triangle.”
Thanks for sharing the link and the part that pertains to the Triangle. While I am unhappy with Duke's decision not to support the light rail project, I must admit that they provided an explanation and we have to give them at least the benefit of the doubt. Duke is not opposed to the light rail project, but only to one part of it - I am sure Duke will get on-board if the plan is somewhat tweaked. When it comes to "the single dumbest thing that has happened in North Carolina", height limits in Raleigh's CBD deserves to win this contest By the way, the light rail that "failed" was not an effort to connect the three counties. It was going to be a Durham-Chapel Hill effort. A Raleigh connection was merely considered as a possibility for the distant future. For now, light rail in Raleigh is nothing more than lip service to voters. The Wake County commissioners promised something that they knew they could not deliver.

As for the Triangle that "could have been" the Silicon Valley of the East, he seems to forget that RTP is already called as such, for quite many years now. Of course, with Boston and many other places claiming the same title it is hard to make a clear case, so I will not insist, but that doesn't mean that the title is an exaggeration or the result of local boosterism. On the other hand, it is not very mature to imply that the failure to get a light rail would have turned us into the de facto Silicon Valley of the East, plus help us get Amazon. The latter had other plans and public transit would not have changed their mind about Raleigh/The Triangle. Raleigh may be a great place to live, work and play, but we are still behind in many areas and we will need to catch up.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:16 PM

An industrial manufacturer for water proofing technology is relocating their HQ from Salt Lake City to the Triangle and predicts 500 jobs.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...545&j=87461051

Also Phase 2 for Smokey Hollow on the north end of DTR should begin construction next month.

Credit to Leo Suarez for the panoramic pic

Old 03-27-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Also Phase 2 for Smokey Hollow on the north end of DTR should begin construction next month.
It is also interesting that Phase 3 is envisioned to be completed in 5 years from now. In its proposed form it will feature up to 700 rental units and up to 12 stories of office space, so 5 years from now doesn't sound bad, considering that further review is requested and the rezoning decision has been postponed for next month. The good thing is that some people in the Planning Commission actually get it and want to encourage density and heights prior to improvements to public transit. I find it hard to believe that the re-zoning to 40 floors isn't going to happen, although with Raleigh's "leadership" anything is possible, even though they are smart enough to understand the cost of not getting this project done in its entirety. Anything over 400 residential units on that lot would be a huge improvement and strengthen Glenwood South's ever-increasing residential base. Let's see if the Wake County Operations will become Phase 4

Old 03-27-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighmsa View Post
It is also interesting that Phase 3 is envisioned to be completed in 5 years from now. In its proposed form it will feature up to 700 rental units and up to 12 stories of office space, so 5 years from now doesn't sound bad, considering that further review is requested and the rezoning decision has been postponed for next month. The good thing is that some people in the Planning Commission actually get it and want to encourage density and heights prior to improvements to public transit. I find it hard to believe that the re-zoning to 40 floors isn't going to happen, although with Raleigh's "leadership" anything is possible, even though they are smart enough to understand the cost of not getting this project done in its entirety. Anything over 400 residential units on that lot would be a huge improvement and strengthen Glenwood South's ever-increasing residential base. Let's see if the Wake County Operations will become Phase 4
Yeah it looks like if approved, phase 3 will have to around 40 floors. 6-9 floors of parking, 12 office, and the rest residential with that many predicted units? Yep it's gonna be tall. Sounds like it could potentially be a duel tower project as well as a seperate hotel was mentioned as a possibility. I feel like Kane may go with his most ambitious design yet for this tower as it'll likely be the crown jewel of his portfolio. Something special for the northern entrance into downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina