Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 09:49 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
The housing market in the Triangle, and to some extent Charlotte, is also priced accordingly at a much higher rate (for both owning and renting) than the Triad. People in professions where there isn't much of a pay bump to reflect the cost of living and salary range of the area (people like firefighters and teachers) are at a big disadvantage in Charlotte and the Triangle.

But we have an entire metro to enjoy lower cost if needed. Rock Hill, SC. Gaston & Lincoln counties. Kannapolis. Etc you could be uptown easy within 20 minutes from a low cost area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 09:54 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Of the five major cities in NC, Winston-Salem does have the best landscape with its rolling terrain. You see a little bit of that in the far northwest corner of Greensboro and northwestern Guilford County but its throughout the city in Winston-Salem.

As far as the downtowns go, Charlotte by far has the most cosmopolitan and largest downtown. On the opposite end, Durham has the smallest downtown and its downtown landscape looks like a much smaller city than Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro and Winston-Salem. Even with the few new towers going up, Durham still has the least impressive skyline.
I don't know about Durham's downtown being the smallest, It's layout is different but when you account for city center, brightleaf square, central park, the tobacco campus and in between it definitely feels at least the same size if not bigger than Greensboro's downtown. It may have the least impressive skyline but not the smallest downtown.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:35 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times
I would say the Triangle is the best(not arguing with the OP) But Both Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill are all growing, so are all of the suburbs(heck Cary is bigger than Chapel Hill in size and population), and there's more going on because Carrboro, Hillsborough, Pittsboro, all have their own things to do and that's only going to increase with the urbanization of RTP and the coming Chatham Park. Just going to add that the whole sterile argument on Charlotte may not apply today with NoDa, Southend, Dilworth, Plaza Midwood, Elizabeth and other coming districts.

That said, I said it the whole time I lived in Gboro during college and I still say it today since I still visit often, but the Triad is underrated. Granted I never really hit up High Point like that, but Gboro and Winston are both highly underrated and probably would be having similar growth if they had something similar to RTP. Also why as far as access to nature(what I mean by this, is how easily one can get to it) the triangle wins(this is based off lots of neighborhoods being connected via the greenway and park system) but Winston's location is the best because you can get to hanging rock or pilot mountain quickly(I think both are roughly 30 miles from Winston) and while crowder's mountain is probably the same distance away from Charlotte as Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock are from Winston, I prefer Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock over Crowder's. Though the quarry just outside of Charlotte in Mooresville is a cool place for events and to take a swim, and the quarry in raleigh is cool place if you want to scuba dive, Winston's quarry has the best view of the city especially with fall colors reflecting off the water and the city skyline in the background.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:01 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
I don't know about Durham's downtown being the smallest, It's layout is different but when you account for city center, brightleaf square, central park, the tobacco campus and in between it definitely feels at least the same size if not bigger than Greensboro's downtown. It may have the least impressive skyline but not the smallest downtown.
This. Durhams downtown is underrated imo. No it doesnt have much of a skyline but that is quickly changing. But Durhams downtown footprint actually feels larger then greensboros. Idk if thats true but it sure feels that way. There are a lot of interesting neighborhoods and a lot of it is pretty walkable. I also feel like Durham is right up there with Winston for having the most character and is keeping its character as it grows. Most of the "new" developments kind of fit what downtown already was. That huge Tobacco warehouse they turned into apartments is a good example of that. The Mangnum(?) towers going up as well keep in line with a "warehouse brick" look.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:09 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
Durham's downtown footprint is smaller than Greensboro. The difference is Greensboro historic commercial row buildings are mainly on one corridor and thats South Elm Street, although there are a number of these kind of buildings kind of spread out throughout downtown but the main concentration is on Elm Street. In Durham there are several blocks of historic commercial row buildings. Durham has actually done a better job than Greensboro with historic preservation. Greensboro lost a few blocks due to the News and Record Building and governmental plaza which wiped out the Elm Street look on Greene Street. Durham skyline is starting to grow again but so is Greensboro's. Unless Durham sees massive investment in highrise construction, Greensboro will continue to have a more superior skyline and even though Durham's new city center tower has 28 floors, its still not as tall as the Lincoln Financial building in Greensboro. The planned tower atop the 8 story parking deck across from the ballpark in Greensboro will likely equal or surpass the height of the Lincoln Financial Building whether its Roy Carroll's project 561 or not. Any gains Durham has on Greensboro in regards to the skyline will end up being a wash because Greensboro is building at least three towers for its downtown.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 11-08-2017 at 08:26 AM..

Old 11-08-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Durham's downtown footprint is smaller than Greensboro. The difference is Greensboro historic commercial row buildings are mainly on one corridor and thats South Elm Street, although there are a number of these kind of buildings kind of spread out throughout downtown but the main concentration is on Elm Street. In Durham there are several blocks of historic commercial row buildings. Durham has actually done a better job than Greensboro with historic preservation. Greensboro lost a few blocks due to the News and Record Building and governmental plaza which wiped out the Elm Street look on Greene Street. Durham skyline is starting to grow again but so is Greensboro's. Unless Durham sees massive investment in highrise construction, Greensboro will continue to have a more superior skyline and even though Durham's new city center tower has 28 floors, its still not as tall as the Lincoln Financial building in Greensboro. The planned tower atop the 8 story parking deck across from the ballpark in Greensboro will likely equal or surpass the height of the Lincoln Financial Building whether its Roy Carroll's project 561 or not. Any gains Durham has on Greensboro in regards to the skyline will end up being a wash because Greensboro is building at least three towers for its downtown.
Ill take your word for it because I genuinely dont know what the actual "downtown" boundaries are. Like i said i think Durham just does do a good job in feeling like a decent city on the street level. It seems to have good bones. Greensboro i wish didnt have the feeling of only being Elm st basically.

I think Durham made a huge mistake by not putting University Tower in downtown. Complete joke imo. That right there would give them decent height with a 356ft and 300ft One City Center. Then the duke medical tower being the 3rd wheel at 273ft. Would have improved its perception a lot.

More highrises will come but no i dont see it catching up to Gboro anytime real soon. I think it will catch Gboros population sooner than later but will probably suffer a lack of big skyline development because of the pull from RTP and Raleigh (especially lately) for office space. But a skyline isnt the only thing that matters so i believe Durham is fine and will continue to grow nicely in its own way.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:10 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Ill take your word for it because I genuinely dont know what the actual "downtown" boundaries are. Like i said i think Durham just does do a good job in feeling like a decent city on the street level. It seems to have good bones. Greensboro i wish didnt have the feeling of only being Elm st basically.

I think Durham made a huge mistake by not putting University Tower in downtown. Complete joke imo. That right there would give them decent height with a 356ft and 300ft One City Center. Then the duke medical tower being the 3rd wheel at 273ft. Would have improved its perception a lot.

More highrises will come but no i dont see it catching up to Gboro anytime real soon. I think it will catch Gboros population sooner than later but will probably suffer a lack of big skyline development because of the pull from RTP and Raleigh (especially lately) for office space. But a skyline isnt the only thing that matters so i believe Durham is fine and will continue to grow nicely in its own way.
The Duke University Tower is indeed Durham's tallest building and it isnt downtown. And I think one of the towers downtown was eventually suppose to have a twin tower.

But yes when an economy is based on research and innovation you are going to see less office tower construction and more suburban or midrise urban development. The way to go tall is mixed use. Buildings that combine office with residential or a hotel.

I am puzzled as to why there are no tower proposals for Winston-Salem. Its the only big city in North Carolina without a tower currently under construction or one in the works.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:17 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
The Duke University Tower is indeed Durham's tallest building and it isnt downtown. And I think one of the towers downtown was eventually suppose to have a twin tower.

But yes when an economy is based on research and innovation you are going to see less office tower construction and more suburban or midrise urban development. The way to go tall is mixed use. Buildings that combine office with residential or a hotel.

I am puzzled as to why there are no tower proposals for Winston-Salem. Its the only big city in North Carolina without a tower currently under construction or one in the works.
It has the 2nd biggest skyline. That's sorta off topic to the thread though

Old 11-08-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
It has the 2nd biggest skyline. That's sorta off topic to the thread though
Second biggest??

Old 11-08-2017, 12:47 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Second biggest??
Don't take the bait!!!!
Troll alert 🚨
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina