Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 07:42 AM

536 posts, read 638,884 times

Advertisements

Here is why, in my personal opinion, the Triad is the best metro area in NC to live in. It is seriously underrated compared to the Triangle and Charlotte. The only reason those metros are more famous is because they have better white-collar job opportunities. That is a major factor of course and one that I don't want to underestimate (it is the reason why the Triad is growing at a slower rate).

But let's say you can get a comparable job in either of those 3 metros, or you work for yourself like me. Then, I say the Triad is the best choice.

Asheville and Wilmington are really "niche" metros for select groups, and Fayetteville is generally considered to be the weakest major city in NC, so I won't compare those here.

1) Equal distance to Charlotte and Triangle. It takes a little over an hour to get to either of these metro areas from the Triad, meaning Triad residents can easily get to and enjoy what both of those metros have to offer.

Residents of the Triangle can't reach amenities in Charlotte as easily as Triad residents can. Meanwhile, residents of Charlotte can't reach amenities in the Triangle as easily as Triad residents can. And yes, many Triad residents take advantage of this.

2) Most amenities to be found in NC's 2 largest metros can be found in the Triad, meaning Triad residents don't have to travel to them except for certain things. CLT and RDU have more flights than GSO, there are nicer shopping malls (Southpoint, South Park, Lafayette Village, etc.) and college and professional sports, to name a few things. But for the most part, the Triad has nearly everything the other 2 metros have, and the gap difference is decreasing by the year with more luxury shopping coming to Greensboro and Winston.

3) Cheaper prices in the Triad. Charlotte and RDU are booming and have better economies, but with that comes more expensive real estate etc.

4) Less traffic congestion. Driving in Winston and Greensboro (especially Greensboro as it has super-wide highways) is a breeze compared to most other metro areas, including Raleigh and Charlotte. Greensboro was named one of the best cities in the entire USA to be a driver in (in fact I think it may have been in first place). Winston has older road infrastructure but they are currently doing major upgrades to it. But even then, if you avoid US-52, Winston is easy to drive in. Meanwhile, I've been stuck in quite a few traffic jams in Raleigh and Charlotte...

5) Winston-Salem in particular feels like a more "cultural" and historic city than those in the Triangle and Charlotte. It was the largest city in NC at one point. Charlotte has a very sterile, fancy, corporate vibe. While nice and impressive, you don't feel much of a home-grown, rooted, local culture in Charlotte (the huge number of transplants is part of this as well). Culture in the Triangle is dominated by RTP and the 3 universities. While it's nice and gives the area an intellectual vibe, it's not the same as in Winston.

Now that Downtown Winston has been revitalized, you can definitely feel that it is more of a "cultural" city than Raleigh, Durham, or Charlotte. Now I'm not just talking about performing arts venues or concerts or festivals. But Winston is known as the "City of the Arts" for a reason. Also it's one of the most important historical settlements in NC--Old Salem is a gem, similar to Williamsburg. Old Salem is probably my favorite urban neighborhood in the entire state of North Carolina. Then you have the Downtown Arts District centered around Trade St in Winston, the yuppie/hipster 4th Street in downtown centered around Camino Bakery, and the lovely Reynolda Village and Reynolda Estate grounds adjacent to Wake Forest University. The Reynolda/Wake Forest area in particular has a similar intellectual/upscale vibe as parts of the Triangle.

I will admit the sprawl area of Winston around Hanes Mall and Greensboro's Battleground Avenue & Wendover Avenue is pretty darn ugly--but the Triangle and Charlotte don't exactly have pretty sprawl areas either.

6) While not offering many direct flights, Greensboro / PTI Airport is an absolute gem for check-in. I use it for my Trans-Atlantic flights and connect via Philadelphia usually, and check-in is sooo pleasant! There is usually no one in the TSA line You can arrive at the airport 2 minutes before boarding and never miss your flight CLT and RDU are great for more major airports, and of course the flight option differential is huge, hence why many Triad residents drive to those airports, but PTI's pleasant experience should count for something.

Just my thoughts, folks. Let's keep it civil. My post is not mention to criticize the Triangle or Charlotte, as I like those areas. Just why I feel if you have a choice, career-wise, the Triad is a really strong bet.

Last edited by shunketsu; 11-06-2017 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: Added the word "comparable" before job for clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 08:41 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
lol these are some nice things but none of them over comes the triads biggest problem of no jobs.

I love Greensboro but no doubt they're regional cities while the triangle and charlotte are more national and it shows in ways

Old 11-06-2017, 08:51 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
lol these are some nice things but none of them over comes the triads biggest problem of no jobs.

I love Greensboro but no doubt they're regional cities while the triangle and charlotte are more national and it shows in ways
The Triad has jobs, job growth simply isn't as robust as Charlotte and the Triangle. Nonetheless, the Triad is experiencing job growth, so saying Triad has no jobs is not correct. The Greensboro and Winston-Salem MSA's combined have added about 50,000 jobs in the past 7 years.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:22 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Even Charlotte and Raleigh are on different tiers in my opinion. I would rank Charlotte with cities such as Baltimore, Nashville or Cincinnati. Raleigh is more in the same tier as cities such as Omaha and Charlotte is more on a national level than Raleigh/Durham. However outside of the state those two areas are more well known than the Triad. You say Piedmont Triad to someone in Buffalo, NY and they wouldn't know what the heck you are talking about. The only real plus Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham have over the Triad are jobs and a more cosmopolitan image. Otherwise the Triad in my opinion is the better place to live for the reasons that were mentioned. I can't stand the traffic in Charlotte and people drive crazy down there. The Triad cities have their own urban vibes without most of the negatives. Plus you can get to both Charlotte and Raleigh in an hour and a half or less. If you live in Raleigh and wanted to go to Charlotte its over a two and a half hour drive. On a national level Greensboro is more well known than Winston-Salem due to the events that take place there like the Wyndhan Championship and major national sports championships at the coliseum. The ACC has put Greensboro's name on the map as well. But I do believe people who have heard of Greensboro not from our state perceive Greensboro to be smaller than it really is. I talked to someone before who came to the ACC Tournament some years ago and he wasn't aware that Greensboro was as big as it was. The Triad doesn't do a good job selling itself on a national level and I think the Triad cities should also do more to attract people from other metros in the state to visit the Triad. I have seen commercials on tv here in Greensboro advertising what Charlotte, Asheville or Concord have to offer in their cities and downtowns. Greensboro and Winston-Salem should do similar ads on a statewide level.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 11-06-2017 at 10:38 AM..

Old 11-06-2017, 10:49 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,627,720 times
We planned to move to NC in 2005, figuring we'd end up in the Triangle since it was growing quickly back then as well. I do accounting in the construction industry. Ended up with a job in Greenville NC, so we moved there first. Greenville doesn't have much to offer beyond ECU and the hospital, so when that job ended in 2009, we moved to Franklin County, northeast of Raleigh. I figured I'd land something in the Triangle, so this would be a good jumping-off point. Surprisingly, I had much more response to my resume in the Triad. We moved to northeast Davidson County in 2011; I work just south of Hanes Mall.

As much as we like all 3 major metros, I'm glad we ended up in the Triad, for many of the reasons mentioned in OP. Traffic is so relatively light that I can sometimes set my car on cruise control during my commute (On I-40, wouldn't be able to do that on Business 40). A home similar to what we found in Davidson County would cost at least 20% more in the Triangle, and I doubt wages would be much higher. I'm not as familiar with the Charlotte housing market, but I know similar homes are more expensive there as well. We love being close to Yadkin Valley and dozens of wineries. I like Raleigh to be closer to the beach, but we like the mountains equally well, so of course we're closer to the mountains in the Triad.

Downtown W-S is my favorite downtown in the state, at least compared to Raleigh, Charlotte, Durham, Greensboro, High Point, Asheville that I've visited. I'm certainly a bit biased since we're closest to downtown W-S. Greensboro is doing a great job revitalizing their downtown as well (as is Durham); we just haven't spent as much time there. Charlotte's downtown is too much generic glass high-rise.

I don't really care that the Triad's cities aren't considered "world class" and don't get nearly the attention that the other metros get. I'll continue to enjoy the moderate home prices, low taxes, good schools, great climate, minimal traffic, etc.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:15 PM

The only highway congestion problems in Greensboro is "Death Valley" between the I-40 businees 85 merge and the hwy 29 exit during rush hour. But even then its not as bad as Charlotte

Old 11-06-2017, 02:16 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
I'm a little perplexed by the constant "But we are located between the Triangle and Charlotte."

I'm not saying Winston/Greensboro aren't great. But the #1 reason the Triangle is generally within the top 3 of best places in the USA is because..... education...school....neighborhoods...great place to raise a family. In other words, their shopping Centers and Whole Foods are better.... It's not about concerts, their museums or anything. Same with Charlotte. The 2 strengths of CLT and Raleigh besides good suburbs and nice shopping centers is Charlotte has a bigger city vibe and Raleigh/Durham is a Liberal, hip, happening place.

I think the sterile corporate office reference in regards to Charlotte is pretty much a dated stereotype of CLT. I would've agreed in 2007. Not in 2017. I would bet 3PM on a Sunday in uptown is far busier and bustling than downtown W-S any day or time of the week. That's not a slight, it's just reality.

I would say Durham is the historic, cultural city of NC (with a funky, growing edge. Happening and hip place. Again, no dig at Winston. I don't think Charlotte or Raleigh is hip or funky neither)

Old 11-06-2017, 02:52 PM

511 posts, read 510,348 times
Say something nice about the Triad now cue random people to come say you're wrong.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:27 PM

The Triad is also a great place to raise a family, part of what its known for. The Triangle may have a few more amenities and better pay jobs. But the Triad's slower pace of life and excellent park systems can't be ignored.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:36 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
Say something nice about the Triad now cue random people to come say you're wrong.

I mean. The poster completely dismissed Fayetteville and they are the same size pretty much land area and population. I’m sure Eastern NC folks would say “cue the random folks from the piedmont to slam eastern NC”

The poster also said why the Triad is better than the Triangle & Charlotte... Were we all supposed to agree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina