Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 11:40 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I People don't know what a hot summer is here in NC. The day before we moved here we'd had a stretch of 117+ heat index for like a week with 100% humidity.
Sweet bottoms, I’m not sure where in NC you are or how long you’ve been here but what you describe is not atypical for much of the Piedmont and Eastern NC. We do typically get over 100 ( actual degrees, not heat index) a couple of times a summer for up to a week at a time. Heat indices over 100 are very common. The mountains have more temperate summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 11:44 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Sweet bottoms, I’m not sure where in NC you are or how long you’ve been here but what you describe is not atypical for much of the Piedmont and Eastern NC. We do typically get over 100 ( actual degrees, not heat index) a couple of times a summer for up to a week at a time. Heat indices over 100 are very common. The mountains have more temperate summers.

Im in Charlotte. I was here last summer and I can tell you without a doubt its not even close to the brutal summers of south Fla, and they're very short here. The day before we moved here it was 117in Fla. We've had the inside of our car register upwards of 130+ in summer. Its over 100 (without heat index) for literally months in Fla.. usually starting around March and ending sometime in Dec... 6+ months easy most years and its getting worse.

We've had several Halloweens trying to trick or treat in 98 degrees with 100% humidity. Kids paint just melting off their faces.. Handing out ice pops and water in lieu of candy.We noticed here the shade is significantly cooler than being in the sun. Not so in Fla. its all hot .. alllll year.... Most years we never even turned off our A/C cause we were contending with triple digits into Dec.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:06 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmountain05 View Post
We have never been but have had friends who moved down there. We are not sold on NC however we want somewhere with a lower cost of living and overall better year round weather. It is almost impossible to live in VT with the cost of living so high and not being skiers/snowboarders there isn’t much to do here for a huge majority of the year. It is a beautiful place just feel we are in need of a change. We don’t need everything on that list just thought the more info put out the better people could respond. We are hoping to stay more so on the east coast because of family but are not ruling out other states.
"I've never been an don't really know a thing about it, but want somewhere cheaper" really isn't a good reason to zero in an anywhere. There are many places with lower COL than Vermont, pretty much all of which will have less snow.

But you need to take a trip and check out the area yourself before even considering moving somewhere. The culture of NC can quite different than the culture of New England.

As other say, plan a visit this summer--our beaches are a big plus--and make sure you are OK with the oppressive southeastern heat during July/August.

Also, do some research into teachers' salaries and working conditions in NC and other states you're considering. The best jobs are in the urban areas, which are the most expensive and not really what you have on your list. Rural schools can be abysmal and neglected. Be sure to do your research wisely.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Im in Charlotte. I was here last summer and I can tell you without a doubt its not even close to the brutal summers of south Fla, and they're very short here.
Last summer was a pretty mild summer here, we'll see what this one brings.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Last summer was a pretty mild summer here, we'll see what this one brings.
I'm not too afraid lol. I think we'll be able to handle it! I did have a harder time adjusting to the winter here. I know they said it was a bit colder than normal. It wasn't anything terrible by any standards but its been a while since I've seen snow. I feel pretty well adjusted now that its almost over. 30's isn't brutal cold anymore to me. Took the dogs out in just a sweater this am and it was 34... I think its easier to adjust to the cold than the hot

Old 03-21-2018, 08:31 PM

I will say that most folks on the Triangle board who have moved up from Florida report the main difference is in the length of the season, not the heat itself, but I've not lived through a Florida summer myself, so I've got no first hand knowledge there, but in any case it's going to be a LOT hotter here than in Vermont!

Old 03-22-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I will say that most folks on the Triangle board who have moved up from Florida report the main difference is in the length of the season, not the heat itself, but I've not lived through a Florida summer myself, so I've got no first hand knowledge there, but in any case it's going to be a LOT hotter here than in Vermont!
It does get very hot in those New England states. Esp Vermont and NH. Unless you're on the coast its mostly very hot and hazy. I remember the first summer there when we moved from Fla I laid down on my kitchen floor because my tiles were so cool. It was over 100 some days. Also, A/C is very rare up there. Most houses and even buildings don't have it. My doctors office didn't.. imagine having the flu and having to sit in a hot and stuffy doctors office.. ugh.....I think its safe to say that its fairly hot in nearly every state during the summer. Humidity makes a huge difference. We've not experienced anything close to what we did in Fla when it comes to humidity. Its much cooler in the shade here.

I will agree the length is MUCH shorter. Its still in the 30's in the am here now and 60's for the day. Not bad for almost April. We are heading down to Fla this week and its already nearly 90's where we are going.. Ugh. We were going to move back but after doing some reassessing we are are just going to relocate to a new town within the Charlotte area... I just don't think I can do Fla weather ever again..

Old 03-22-2018, 04:08 PM

49 posts, read 64,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
"I've never been an don't really know a thing about it, but want somewhere cheaper" really isn't a good reason to zero in an anywhere. There are many places with lower COL than Vermont, pretty much all of which will have less snow.

But you need to take a trip and check out the area yourself before even considering moving somewhere. The culture of NC can quite different than the culture of New England.

As other say, plan a visit this summer--our beaches are a big plus--and make sure you are OK with the oppressive southeastern heat during July/August.

Also, do some research into teachers' salaries and working conditions in NC and other states you're considering. The best jobs are in the urban areas, which are the most expensive and not really what you have on your list. Rural schools can be abysmal and neglected. Be sure to do your research wisely.

We aren’t zeroing in on NC and that isn’t our only reason, but thanks for your input.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:30 PM

496 posts, read 467,231 times
Quote:
It does get very hot in those New England states. Esp Vermont and NH. Unless you're on the coast its mostly very hot and hazy. I remember the first summer there when we moved from Fla I laid down on my kitchen floor because my tiles were so cool. It was over 100 some days. Also, A/C is very rare up there. Most houses and even buildings don't have it. My doctors office didn't.. imagine having the flu and having to sit in a hot and stuffy doctors office.. ugh.....I think its safe to say that its fairly hot in nearly every state during the summer. Humidity makes a huge difference. We've not experienced anything close to what we did in Fla when it comes to humidity. Its much cooler in the shade here.

I will agree the length is MUCH shorter. Its still in the 30's in the am here now and 60's for the day. Not bad for almost April. We are heading down to Fla this week and its already nearly 90's where we are going.. Ugh. We were going to move back but after doing some reassessing we are are just going to relocate to a new town within the Charlotte area... I just don't think I can do Fla weather ever again..
Yeah, I can't agree that VT has hot summers. I've lived in VT the past 45 years (about 20 minutes from the Canadian border on the eastern side of VT) and very seldom will it get to 100. Last summer we barely made it into the 80s. We DO have high humidity, even in the winter.

I'm leaving VT to get to nicer weather where the winter is mild and doesn't last for months, and months, and months..... It's never ending it seems. I'm looking into NC, SC, and GA.
Dawn

Old 03-24-2018, 07:06 AM

49 posts, read 64,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
Yeah, I can't agree that VT has hot summers. I've lived in VT the past 45 years (about 20 minutes from the Canadian border on the eastern side of VT) and very seldom will it get to 100. Last summer we barely made it into the 80s. We DO have high humidity, even in the winter.

I'm leaving VT to get to nicer weather where the winter is mild and doesn't last for months, and months, and months..... It's never ending it seems. I'm looking into NC, SC, and GA.
Dawn
I can’t agree more, the winters never seem to end here! Have you found any good areas? We are also looking into GA and SC as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina