Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2007, 01:02 PM

113 posts, read 343,725 times

Advertisements

Hello my wife and I are looking to relocate to NC from the eastern shore of MD. I wanted to hear from someone from Raleigh. I am looking for some info on the area. Job market? How is Cary? Any community college recommendations for so I can get a degree in networking. I am still in school and looking to work in the IT field. My wife has a business management degree. What are the Pro’s of Raleigh? Any help and advice is welcome. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 01:11 PM

21 posts, read 64,680 times
Well I can't say much about Raleigh other than my friend move there this year and misses Charlotte. Raleigh has Wake Teck - a CC. But instate fees at NCSU are some of the lowest in the county! Like less than $5000 a year.

A Lot of my freinds work in IT in Charlotte, (I ran an Apple Dealership untill about 3 years ago). They work for Wachovia, Bank of America, Time Warner Cable, and some small internet/network co. The Banks are wonderful to work for and pay well. CPCC is the cc in charlotte and we have UNCC that has computer Si and Eng. UNCC is even cheaper than NCSU.

IMO trafic is less in Charlotte.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:27 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
We actually chose Raleigh and were set to look there but we found that the job for DH was in Charlotte. I think it is a better fit for us overall I think.

Dawn

Old 02-14-2007, 09:06 AM

56 posts, read 65,391 times
I have lived and worked in both areas. Its hard to argue that Raleigh does not best schools for higher education(DUKE, NCSU, UNC). If you are seeking and an AS degree you can achieve those in either city. The job market in both areas are challenging you would be wise to secure employment before you come. As Charlottevangelist said the IT jobs in Charlotte are mostly with the banks, MS and cable companies unless you intend to support the small retail business. Raleigh has the Research Triangle Park(RTP) which houses a ton of huge and growing businesses (SAS, Red hat and other software, biomedical and research companies). They also have the universities and small retail that need support. I know many people that have left Charlotte to take permanent positions in these businesses. Charlotte does not have a RTP and many of our companies have shifted to less secure (if you own a home) contract workers. Cary is located just out side of RTP and is expensive to live in. The area also hosts some of the best college sports to be seen. Like Charlotte there is still a ton of land to build on. Lastly, Raleigh has a modern road system (with belt ways) that is in good shape but it does not have light rail (wait either do we). Both areas are nice places to live. Good luck in your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina