Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:06 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Wow. I wish I could get your name to have you fired!! Such blatant bigotry, with absolutely no empathy for children with no choice but to live in a hostile environment. Wow. It's teachers like you who help carry on the tradition of institutionalized bigotry. You should know for fact that a child living in unstable conditions tends to lash out. You should know this. Shame....
For once, we actually agree on something. I do feel that bussing is needed and teachers should be more understanding of "urban" children. However, I find your comments to this individual to be offensive and abusive. Teacher pay is an issue in this state and teachers dealing with "urban" students deserve higher pay than teachers that don't. This is something that NC as a whole needs to work on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 01:34 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,676,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
For once, we actually agree on something. I do feel that bussing is needed and teachers should be more understanding of "urban" children. However, I find your comments to this individual to be offensive and abusive. Teacher pay is an issue in this state and teachers dealing with "urban" students deserve higher pay than teachers that don't. This is something that NC as a whole needs to work on.
I always thought that teachers should be paid on the same scale as dentists, lawyers, etc. However you never discriminate against any group of children. There's no excuse for that behavior. If I was a low income parent and my child was being bussed to a school with teachers feeling like that, just because of where my child lived, I would be very afraid. It only takes ONE teacher to discourage a child from accomplishing academically and vice-versa. You're job and DUTY is to give every child the same quality of education, no matter the situation.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:24 PM

9 posts, read 18,176 times
Well, I am trying to move as well as the person in the first post. I am trying to narrow down my options. I am a Spanish teacher in NH. I was thinking to move to the triangle zone. I think there is more opportunities but I don't know if that is true. I work in a private Catholic school And I do not make a lot money my salary is about 32000. I was hoping to make a little bit more in the public system. But Still If I find a job in the private system making the same money I will be happy.
Rent here is 750 for a 2 bedroom and bills are 80. cell phone, 40 cable, 40 internet and heat/electricity changes Summer cheap, winter up to 150.
I want to move because I think the weather is going to make me Happier. I am originally from South America. I also think That I will feel more in my "environment" I hope I can move at the end of this school year.
So Any Suggestions.... Should I go for public or private. Are teacher salaries that bad? there are any teachers here.....

Thanks A lot
Roshero from NH

Old 11-04-2008, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshero View Post
Well, I am trying to move as well as the person in the first post. I am trying to narrow down my options. I am a Spanish teacher in NH. I was thinking to move to the triangle zone. I think there is more opportunities but I don't know if that is true. I work in a private Catholic school And I do not make a lot money my salary is about 32000. I was hoping to make a little bit more in the public system. But Still If I find a job in the private system making the same money I will be happy.
Rent here is 750 for a 2 bedroom and bills are 80. cell phone, 40 cable, 40 internet and heat/electricity changes Summer cheap, winter up to 150.
I want to move because I think the weather is going to make me Happier. I am originally from South America. I also think That I will feel more in my "environment" I hope I can move at the end of this school year.
So Any Suggestions.... Should I go for public or private. Are teacher salaries that bad? there are any teachers here.....

Thanks A lot
Roshero from NH
NC is growing very quickly. Are you fluent in Spanish? If so, you will be LOVED in the Triangle and Charlotte. Charlotte has the state's largest % of Hispanics. There is also a fairly decent size Brazillian population here in Charlotte as well. I have a few friends from Sao Paulo. They chose Charlotte because of the construction industry here. At any rate, I would suggest checking out Charlotte and the "triangle zone". Charlotte is the state's largest city and area and the "triangle zone" is the second largest. Charlotte's population is also more diverse than the triangle zone when it comes to Hispanics. Charlotte being 9.8% and the Triangle being 8%.

Charlotte largest county demo
Mecklenburg County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Triangle largest county demo
Wake County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Real Estate is also cheaper in Charlotte than the Triangle.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:23 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Quote:
It's teachers like you who help carry on the tradition of institutionalized bigotry. You should know for fact that a child living in unstable conditions tends to lash out. You should know this.
I do not think the original post was put very well, but I must say, the implication here, in Metro's offering is that since one should "know" that children as described will lash out, that is OK.

I think not. I hope Metro is not saying that we lower our standards or expectations because of a certain type of child. To me, that to is bigotry, of the worst order.

Classrooms need to be maintained as an environment for learning. Students lashing out, no matter where you stand, is not that environment. I can assure you, in my classroom all students are treated equal, my expectations are consistent and very high, and I work very hard to maintain an environment where all can learn, AND lashing out is NEVER permitted.

lln

Old 11-04-2008, 03:31 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,676,141 times
Quote:
NC is growing very quickly. Are you fluent in Spanish? If so, you will be LOVED in the Triangle and Charlotte. Charlotte has the state's largest % of Hispanics. There is also a fairly decent size Brazillian population here in Charlotte as well. I have a few friends from Sao Paulo. They chose Charlotte because of the construction industry here. At any rate, I would suggest checking out Charlotte and the "triangle zone". Charlotte is the state's largest city and area and the "triangle zone" is the second largest. Charlotte's population is also more diverse than the triangle zone when it comes to Hispanics. Charlotte being 9.8% and the Triangle being 8%.

Charlotte largest county demo
Mecklenburg County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Triangle largest county demo
Wake County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Real Estate is also cheaper in Charlotte than the Triangle.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:

Old 11-04-2008, 09:16 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Urbancharlotte, you must nor be from these parts. I've never heard of a place called the "Triangle Zone".

FWIW, The Triangle is comprised of several counties and is not just wake county and each county in the triangle has it's own school system.

For you and others unfamiliar with the Triangle, it is comprised of Wake, Durham, and Orange Counties with the cities of Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill (and the universities located in each) forming a triangle. Make sense now?

Good to know for those who are looking to learn about this nice area.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Urbancharlotte, you must nor be from these parts. I've never heard of a place called the "Triangle Zone".

FWIW, The Triangle is comprised of several counties and is not just wake county and each county in the triangle has it's own school system.

For you and others unfamiliar with the Triangle, it is comprised of Wake, Durham, and Orange Counties with the cities of Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill (and the universities located in each) forming a triangle. Make sense now?

Good to know for those who are looking to learn about this nice area.
It should also be noted that the population of Charlotte is larger than the three Triangle cities of Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill combined. This makes Charlotte the only REAL city in the state. In Charlotte, you will enjoy NC's most urban area and a school system that is not as crowded as the state's largest system (Raleigh's system in Wake County is the largest and most crowded). This fact is why you are hearing so many complaints about Wake county schools from teachers on this thread. Charlotte's school system had problems in the past. Today, it is one of the most teacher and student friendly systems in the state. Many aren't aware of this turn around in Charlotte, but it is happening!!! Here is an interesting NY times article about Charlotte's 4th and 8th graders. This is an example of what Charlotte is doing to improve the education of urban students.
Charlotte Leads in Math Test, And New York Places Second - New York Times

Charlotte is cheaper to live in and teacher pay is slightly higher than Raleigh

Charlotte Teacher Pay
http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/l...r=1&hdSortBy=0

Raleigh Teacher Pay
http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/l...+%23teacher%23

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 11-05-2008 at 03:43 AM..

Old 11-05-2008, 05:01 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Thumbs up Here is the real info

Quote:

Charlotte is cheaper to live in and teacher pay is slightly higher than Raleigh

Charlotte Teacher Pay
Salary.com’s Salary Wizard™- Do you know what you're worth?

Raleigh Teacher Pay
Salary.com’s Salary Wizard™- Do you know what you're worth?
Urbancharlotte,

Why would you point people to an inaccurate website like salary wizard when exact teacher salary numbers are available directly from the source? The only accurate source of teacher pay info would be from the school systems website for each county. You will notice that pay varies by years of service and qualifications. Depending on your years of service and degree you may make a few hundred more in Wake or mecklenburg county as there is variability across the board.

For example, here are the salary schedules for a teacher a BS degree and both 0 and 10 years of service in each system. As you can see in this case you actually make slightly more in Wake. It varies by year and degree level, but in the end it is all a wash.

Wake
0 years: $34,462.00
10 years: $44,763.20

Charlotte Mecklenburg
0 years: $34,385.90
10 years $44,273,40

Here are real sources of teacher pay for Charlotte Mecklenburg and Wake County. You are welcome!

Charlotte Mecklenburg
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Teacher Salary Schedules (http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/departments/HR/compensation.asp - broken link)

Wake County
Wake Teacher Salary Schedules

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 11-05-2008 at 05:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina