Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 01:59 PM

39 posts, read 94,656 times

Advertisements

Hi Members,

I am from Europe (Holland) and engaged to someone from the US ( NC ) now I am just doing some research about what I really need to know to be able to live in the US , what can I expect as well, beside the official documents ofcourse I don't have any idea about where I am going to live, even though my fiancee tells me all about it, I believe there are a lot of different views and opinions about whatever country, state or town is like.
Although I have to make my own opinion about this , still I would like to get some more info.. especially about the traditions and habbits of the local people.. specific laws, oppertunities to make a living or possibillities to study further because I have a degree in education as an english teacher..but I don't see myself teaching english in a native english speaking country..but I love working with young people/teenagers to help them accomplish whatever they want..

if anybody could help me out with this , feel free to give me the anwsers I need and if things aren't clear , just ask me..

thank you ,

Sam.

concerning the official documents , what do I need exactly ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 07:24 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times
I can't speak to "official documents" so much, but frankly I feel bad that your apparent introduction to the US will be Fayetteville. FYI much of it is a rather trashy, run-down area with a TON of military here and I don't mean cream of the crop either, quite frankly (PS I am in the military so spare me the pro-military rants people). I suggest trying to live as far away from that area as you can stand and remember this is but one small area of the US.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:34 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelican View Post
but I love working with young people/teenagers to help them accomplish whatever they want..
Try looking at a place like a church, school, or a YMCA. These places usually will have some kind of youth program. Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 11-24-2008, 10:38 PM

983 posts, read 3,988,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
I can't speak to "official documents" so much, but frankly I feel bad that your apparent introduction to the US will be Fayetteville. FYI much of it is a rather trashy, run-down area with a TON of military here and I don't mean cream of the crop either, quite frankly (PS I am in the military so spare me the pro-military rants people). I suggest trying to live as far away from that area as you can stand and remember this is but one small area of the US.
Have you BEEN to Fayetteville lately?????? They've completely redone/revived downtown. We have national chains bringing stores to Fayetteville. Chains that are closing stores across the country are NOT closing their Fayetteville stores. Lots of nice subdivisions, apartments. And plenty of us "natives" are not trashy!!!

Old 11-27-2008, 08:30 PM

734 posts, read 2,054,151 times
Fayetteville is a pit, but downtown is actually coming around for it's size. Unfortunately, whoever planned the roads around here was a crackbaby or something, congestion is as bad as metros 4x the size. I'm sorry this is your introduction to the US and trust me it's not nearly as bad as what Fayetteville makes it appear.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:28 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,676,141 times
I had to work in Fayetteville for two months during this past summer. It was more like a two month prison sentence. I learned a lot about the military however. If you want to stay somewhere decent in the Fayetteville area, try Raeford. It's just outside of the city.

On another note, the morganton rd area is pretty decent, but it can be a bit pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina