Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 04:41 PM

22 posts, read 60,293 times

Advertisements

I am on the verge of graduating college with my Bachelor's Degree and have an idea of where I want to move in North Carolina. However, I've never lived on my own or bought a home before. I have absolutely no clue where to start. I don't even know if I'm making the right move trying to settle into a city where Marketing and Management careers are rare. I live with my parents who are absolutely no help at all, they want me out and want me out as soon as they can possibly help it. So with this unbearable situation I have hovering over me, what info can you give me about moving 1000 miles away, without a job and very little savings. I feel like I'm drowning and this could be my last hope in finding the right place to live, and the right advice to get out of the place I'm in. Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2006, 06:15 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,997,063 times
How did you settle on North Carolina?

Old 06-14-2006, 07:46 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,212,661 times
please tell us what your interests are... that will help out some if we could know some things about ya. it sounds like you are frustrated and just trying to get away from mi.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:12 PM

320 posts, read 1,557,141 times
What city are you thinking of moving in NC? Have you considered any other states in addition to NC?

Have you researched the job opportunities and started contacting some of the companies in the area you are considering? Perhaps your college has some type of placement service available. Speak to your college counselor about your situation and see if they can offer any advice.

I would think that with your major, you would need to live near Charlotte or Raleigh - maybe Asheville.

Is it possible for you to get a roommate to help you afford the cost at first? You may want to check out the possibility of renting a room from someone.

I'd don't advise moving without employment, especially if you are low on cash flow. If you have to though, I suggest you at least sign up with several temp services for temporary money to help hold you over until you get a permanent job.

I hope this helps some. Your situation seems very desperate and I feel so bad for you. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:36 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,030,841 times
I used google to do a search, using keywords "north carolina+headhunters" and "north carolina+job services". There seem to be many resources in that vein.

I can sympathize with being booted out into the world, though it seems like a lonnng time ago It's exciting, scary, and you are almost assured to stumble a few times before you become steady on your feet.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions

Old 06-14-2006, 08:57 PM

I settled on North Carolina mainly because I like the atmosphere it brings. It is very different from Michigan in that the people and places are so much more inviting and fresh. It is away from the people that have been bringing me down all these years and I really, really think that it is the right place for me.

Some of my interests: I'm nothing like a stereotypical college student so nightlife is not for me. I'm more interested in the safety of the location and the career aspect. As I said my degree is in Marketing & Management and I enjoy the radio & television fields of Marketing. Something to note: As my first post implies I am trying to get out of Michigan but only to better myself. My parents are only bringing me down, who knows where I could end up if I don't do something for myself.

The city I am considering is Wilmington. I have considered other states but the one I seem to find myself going back to is NC. Although, I would LOVE to start contacting possible job oppurtunities I am not exactly sure where to start. It would be easy for me to compile a list of radio and television stations in the area but I'm unsure about any other businesses that would be offering Marketing positions. My college does offer a placement service however, only for Michigan businesses.

I'm very interested in the possibility of renting an apartment however, I have only found one apartment facility in the Wilmington area that has been recommended in safety and cleanliness. I have a job here in Michigan, but moving right away and then finding a job on the spot seems a bit difficult to accomplish.

I wish I could call myself desperate, but I know there are others who have worse situations than mine. I just have lack of advice and people willing to give it. Hope this clears up any fog I left out before. Again!! Any information is appreciated!

Old 06-14-2006, 09:03 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,212,661 times
good luck to you... i'd say, job market-wise, look into charlotte and raliegh areas. check into the neighborhoods and check to make sure they are safe before settling into it ... good luck!!

Old 06-14-2006, 09:16 PM

320 posts, read 1,557,141 times
You may want to check with some of the sports teams in NC. They often use marketing reps. Aside from pro teams, you have semi pro teams as well. You could check organizatons such as the Asheville Tourists, etc. You may want to try newspapers too. There is probably a magazine or two that gets published from NC (most likely about NC), you could try that too. There are a lot of large corps. that use marketing reps. You could check to see which companies have corporate offices in NC- there is probably a grocer, or a produce or poultry company that you could check into.

Researching the area for safety is very important, you seem to have a good head on your shoulders and know what you are doing. You just need to keep your confidence up as you venture into this new part of your life. Best of luck to you.

Old 06-14-2006, 09:24 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,997,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyforchange
I settled on North Carolina mainly because I like the atmosphere it brings. It is very different from Michigan in that the people and places are so much more inviting and fresh. It is away from the people that have been bringing me down all these years and I really, really think that it is the right place for me.

Some of my interests: I'm nothing like a stereotypical college student so nightlife is not for me. I'm more interested in the safety of the location and the career aspect. As I said my degree is in Marketing & Management and I enjoy the radio & television fields of Marketing. Something to note: As my first post implies I am trying to get out of Michigan but only to better myself. My parents are only bringing me down, who knows where I could end up if I don't do something for myself.

The city I am considering is Wilmington. I have considered other states but the one I seem to find myself going back to is NC. Although, I would LOVE to start contacting possible job oppurtunities I am not exactly sure where to start. It would be easy for me to compile a list of radio and television stations in the area but I'm unsure about any other businesses that would be offering Marketing positions. My college does offer a placement service however, only for Michigan businesses.

I'm very interested in the possibility of renting an apartment however, I have only found one apartment facility in the Wilmington area that has been recommended in safety and cleanliness. I have a job here in Michigan, but moving right away and then finding a job on the spot seems a bit difficult to accomplish.

I wish I could call myself desperate, but I know there are others who have worse situations than mine. I just have lack of advice and people willing to give it. Hope this clears up any fog I left out before. Again!! Any information is appreciated!
Wilmington is a good choice if you can tolerate the summers. I like the place even though I'm at the opposite end of the state.

Old 06-14-2006, 09:24 PM

Thank you so much for that list of contacts. I am going to get a start on researching those companies and making some calls before the weekend. Would it be all right if I kept you in mind in case I have any more questions to ask Jewels36? I really appreciate your willingness to help and the advice you've given me thus far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina