Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 07:20 AM

285 posts, read 1,091,254 times

Advertisements

Suzy,
While you seem to have a solution to this problem, you are not accurate with your information. I have seen so many familes not have their wishes upheld. A notarized form is does not protect all of our children.
Here in North Carolina, parental consent is not mandated, nor does an opt out form exist. While I do believe that a school would be wise to follow a notarized document, they absolutely do not have to do so.
I have worked with too many children whose parents have not granted permission for their child to be paddled, and these children were covered in bruises. The state laws in paddling states protect these teachers from civil liability when children are paddled and injured, as the school districts are able to point out that the law was followed. It is a most disheartening thing.
I am glad that you were able to work this out in Mississippi, and I don't mean to sound all knowing, but I do this everyday, and the process is flawed.
You are right, this is not just NC. There are 21 states that still allow children to be assaulted with wooden board in school.
Best,
Peggy

Old 03-27-2006, 08:30 PM

3 posts, read 13,459 times
Good Mom Suz ..girl After My Own Heart ....do Not Touch My Children! Right On

Old 03-28-2006, 09:17 AM

4 posts, read 25,031 times
Hello, I have recently been researching all of the counties in NC. I am planning to relocate to NC and get teaching job in one of the counties. I have found that Wake County seems to be a great place to live and teach. However, I was wondering if anyother districts are great to settle in a teach for. Thanks

Old 03-28-2006, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 8,500 times
Smile Moving from Fl to NC as well

Hey My husband and I and my 2 yr old visited in September of last yr. Loved it so much decided to move there, when it March brought a house, new structure and are trying to sell the house we have now. Trying to get rid of the house before hurrican season. Great house in FL, but We love Charlotte. I have a web site that give the school report cards. or there is alway Private schools. ncreportcards.org this should help good luck.

Old 03-29-2006, 03:38 PM

For those of you interested in seeing a bit more information to let you see that corporal punishment is alive and well in North Carolina, go to the link below, and read the news story that ABC in Wilmington, NC did on tonight's news. Thousands of North Carolina children are struck each year. If this worries you, make sure you gather the facts on the district you are looking into. I sure wish someone had told me about my county.

http://www.wwaytv3.com/global/category.asp?c=4407 (broken link)

Old 03-29-2006, 06:26 PM

872 posts, read 3,585,446 times
Hello!,
Mooresville Gradded School District is by far the best in my opinion.

Old 03-31-2006, 09:36 AM

483 posts, read 1,567,856 times
Corporal Punishment in North Carolina School Districts:

Now I'm a bit concerned because we are looking to live in the Matthews/Waxhaw area and our daughter would be attending Union County schools. Is that what is happening at the schools?

Old 03-31-2006, 09:46 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,993 times
I am moving to Stallings/Mathews and have been concerned also. Peg, any information on this area? I would greatly appreciate it. I know this is something close to your heart and would love your input on those towns.

Lucy

Old 03-31-2006, 10:00 AM

Default Corporal Punishment

The issue of corporal punishment is a very important one. For those of you considering a move to a county that practices this, you need to know the mindset that accompanies those in charge.
Union County Public Schools still has a corporal punishment policy on the books, but they have "promised not to use it"
This is somewhat of a joke to me, as Union County has ignored the state law when is comes to corporal punishment, which states that each district that uses corporal punishment must put in writing, at the beginning of each school year, a list of the general types of misconduct that could result in corporal punishment. Union County did not publish such a list, and when I asked for it, I was ignored. Instead of complying with the law, they tried to go around it. I have no respect for school administrators who can't obey state law, yet see it as their given right to beat children for offenses unknown, without mandated parental consent. It is insane.
The good news in Union County is that we have this ban of sorts, I think mainly due to public embarrassment, and also due to non compliance with state law. Complaints have been filed with the State Board of Education, the District Attorney, the Attorney General's Office, etc.
There are nine board of ed members in our county, and the vote was 5-4 to get rid of corporal punishment. It was not abolished, because the vote has to be 6-3 for a "super majority" to get it off the books. Thus, it is on the books, but they are telling us that it will not be used. I want it off the books.
As I have said, the corporal punishment is a symptom of a diseased school system, and we have had parents and children with hundreds of complaints with other misconducts that have been ignored. It is a punitive system, and they seem to always be in coverup mode.
Thanks for the interest. On a positive note, because that is what I am seeking, is to effect positive change, we have a wave of parental outcry about the general state of our overcrowding and lack of accountability, and we are trying to get some fresh board members elected in November. We are really making headway, and that will be the only way to fix what is wrong.
My children are getting a good education, and have lots of great teachers who do not embrace abusing children.
Thanks for you interest, and if you want more information, email or post. I will be happy to share my phone number as well, if you want to talk.
Peggy Dean

Old 03-31-2006, 07:59 PM

110 posts, read 168,338 times
Default Peggy

I will be moving to NC this summer. I will join you in your crusade to change the laws!! My children will both be in high school and I imagine there isn't much spanking going on there, but you are so right, the corporal punishment must stop. No child should be spanked by anyone other than their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina