Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2008, 12:44 PM

297 posts, read 1,300,886 times

Advertisements

We'll be spending a few days around Durham, NC on our way to Washinton, D.C. in June on our family vacation. We would like to go gemstone hunting for emeralds, sapphires, aquamarine, etc. and would greatly appreciate any information on a place we could go for a exciting mining experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 01:03 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,010,746 times
The main gem-collecting counties are Alexander (emeralds and hiddenite), Macon (rubies, sapphires, and garnets), and Mitchell (emeralds and aquamarine).

Old 03-02-2008, 08:19 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,529,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoe View Post
We'll be spending a few days around Durham, NC on our way to Washinton, D.C. in June on our family vacation. We would like to go gemstone hunting for emeralds, sapphires, aquamarine, etc. and would greatly appreciate any information on a place we could go for a exciting mining experience.
The closest mine to Durham would be Hiddenite, in Alexander County. The largest emerald in North America was discovered there.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 6,129 times
hello there is a gem mine where your can buy a bucket of dirt with different kinds of gems stones in it. In Danbury NC (on Hwy 8 & 89) it's in stokes county. I've been there and I really had fun found right many stones too.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:13 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,536,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyofwings1368 View Post
hello there is a gem mine where your can buy a bucket of dirt with different kinds of gems stones in it. In Danbury NC (on Hwy 8 & 89) it's in stokes county. I've been there and I really had fun found right many stones too.
No offense, but if the OP is going to travel from Durham, he/she is better off going for the "real thing" in Hiddenite than "salted" buckets of dirt in non-native gem areas.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:23 PM

459 posts, read 699,817 times
yeah Hiddenite is a great place for mining. Took my mom there when she came to visit from Chicago and she got a couple of rubies and emerald stones from the buckets.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:51 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,285,114 times
I have on my finger right now an emerald my son found at some gem mine near Linville Caverns. It was an impluse stop on a trip five years ago. It is near Marion, up in the mountains. A few hours from Durham. The guy they had working there was very patient with the kids, explaining what each stone was. I can't for the life of me think of the name of the place though. My son also found an onyx the size of his fist ( he was 9 at the time).

Old 03-04-2009, 06:03 PM

127 posts, read 476,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
I have on my finger right now an emerald my son found at some gem mine near Linville Caverns. It was an impluse stop on a trip five years ago. It is near Marion, up in the mountains. A few hours from Durham. The guy they had working there was very patient with the kids, explaining what each stone was. I can't for the life of me think of the name of the place though. My son also found an onyx the size of his fist ( he was 9 at the time).
I believe you are talking about Gem Mountain in Spruce Pine, which is about 3.5 hours from Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina