Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:57 AM

91 posts, read 258,497 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are thinking about relocating from long Island NY to SC, NC or Virginia. We are looking for a nice town that has a lot to do since we are by a major city. We do not like too much diversity, and are planning on having a family soon. Because of this we will need a good school district also. We will eventually like a house in the 200k - 250k range. Also, he is an operating engineer that deals with HVAC, however he is looking to get into a federal type of job like police, building insp, something along those lines. We are very nervous about salaries and the difference in living as far as that goes. I am an insurance broker and am sure I can find work anywhere I go. We are sick of the hustle & bustle & want a calm laid back life where we can afford to live. Thanks in advance for your help !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 12:48 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,541,472 times
Stick to one of the metro areas of the state and seek work in one of them.
You can still find homes in most of the metros in your price range. Base on information you provided go where the jobs are at.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:13 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,062,032 times
When you say "we do not like too much diversity", what do you mean?

Old 05-21-2008, 01:14 PM

Meaning we like to stay around people like us. I don't know how it is down there, but in NY neighborhoods tend to stick with their own kind. There are polish, italian, black, spanish, albanian etc...

Old 05-21-2008, 01:17 PM

What do you mean by "people like us"?

If you have a problem with racial diversity then, frankly, you should not consider moving to the south. This is an extremely racially diverse area. We do not have neighborhoods that are divided up by religion, race or ethnic background here.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:21 PM

Listen dont get offended to each is their own, and you are racially divided there, because I have read many comments about the black/white issue, as well as heavily baptist, catholic, and other religous areas. it is perfectly normal to want to flock with your own, and i will not feel bad or racist for saying so, esp since where I come from it is seen and well known and pretty much accepted. There are all black colleges in the South, and BET, and so on, so this whole country is racially divided. This is my preference, and you do not have to respond or care, but be real with yourself.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:23 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,541,472 times
There is however small towns in this state that are not diverse but the problem of choosing those as a location they are also resistant to newcomers due to everyone knows about everyone or live on "family" type of streets .

Family streets are like your brother lives across from you , aunt & uncle lives beside you, Cousin up the road etc.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:34 PM

LOL yeah we are not looking for that either. I am not by any means saying we don't want anyone outside of our culture around us, because that would make for a very boring world, I am just saying that in NY this is how it is, and it works.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:37 PM

Well, what exactly is the culture that you're looking for? You said that you want to live near people like you, but you haven't told us more about yourself other than that.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:45 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,596,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen919ifer View Post
LOL yeah we are not looking for that either. I am not by any means saying we don't want anyone outside of our culture around us, because that would make for a very boring world, I am just saying that in NY this is how it is, and it works.
Then perhaps you should stay in NY. Mrs. Steel is a very polite person so she will not say that; but I'm sure many who have read your posts would agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina