Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 05:31 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,510 times

Advertisements

I don’t mind the hologram. I don’t even mind that they can scan the card and find out if I’m wanted for a crime. The criminals might have a problem but not me.

The problem with the hologram is it is a representation of the North American Union and I don’t want an NAU. The US is the US and should always be separate from all other nations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 05:43 AM

536 posts, read 1,693,350 times
Talking Let's put on our thinking caps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Yes, just about everyone leaves a trail already through their use of credit, debit, and cell phone and the Internet. However, Real ID Act IDs will not have any real-time tracking capability.
Yeah sure! just like the "Freedom of Information Act" gives us clearance to read ALL gov't documents, except the ones deemed confidential!

Old 09-14-2007, 07:27 AM

65 posts, read 191,962 times
I think there is a concern if there is in fact a RFID chip on them. These are not only trackable by law enforcement. Some say anyone with a scanner can read the info on the chip. What exactly is on them, I don't know. Could be name, address, SS#.... They can also be hackable. This is scary in my opinion.

Some of you are not concerned about being 'tracked' by the government, but how do you feel about the Mexican and Canadian governments also having access to your personal information. It seems that this is where we are heading. I think NC at the very least should have informed us before implementing this.

I'm not comfortable with the hologram of the North American continent either. We are losing our sovereignty, no?

I'm planning to call the governor, senators and representatives to complain as a start.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:47 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,997,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmom05 View Post
What exactly is on them, I don't know. Could be name, address, SS#.... They can also be hackable. This is scary in my opinion.
Each card must include, at a minimum, the person's full legal name, signature, date of birth, sex, driver's license or identification card number. It also includes a photograph of the person's face and the address of principal residence. It is required to have physical security features designed to prevent tampering, counterfeiting, or duplication of the document for fraudulent purposes.

President Signs Public Law 109-13

Old 09-14-2007, 10:42 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith "Baby-Face" Lutz View Post
So big brother is watching, who cares. I am not doing anything wrong, I have nothing to hide. So they want to track my everymove, go ahead. OK maybe I will protest if they want to stick a GPS in my butt!
"When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.
When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.
When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.
When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out."

Defend your freedoms, as they are in jeopardy

Old 09-14-2007, 10:54 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
1ST U.S. DRIVER'S LICENSE FOR NORTH AMERICAN UNION CREATED

Tell Congress that you oppose the North American Union License and the DMV
sharing YOUR Personal information with Canada and Mexico!

Alert: The first "North American Union" driver's license, complete with a
hologram of the North American continent on the reverse, and has been created in the state of North Carolina.

The hologram looks exactly [like] the map of North America that is used as the
background for the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America logo on
the SPP website.

Marge Howell, spokeswoman for the North Carolina DMV affirmed that the state was embedding a hologram of North America on the back of their new driver's
licenses. "It's a security element that eventually will be on the back of every
driver's license in North America," Howell said.
First drivers license with the nau logo (broken link)

Old 09-14-2007, 11:01 AM

282 posts, read 835,242 times
The problem with RFID is that anyone you walk by could "scan" your info. They don't even have to swipe your wallet anymore - just stand in a busy spot, and pick up the broadcast from the RFID chip. At least with a barcode - they actually have to go through the effort of getting their hands on your ID.

As to the concerns about the databases - forget it, they're already in place. That's a fight that should have taken place 20 years ago. They just happen to be run by various organizations, like - Google, Yahoo, Citibank, the phone companies, the shared banking networks. And don't kid yourself - they're NOT better than the government, because they will use the information in any way that benefits them. At least with the government - there MIGHT be some amount of oversight.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:32 AM

State issued commercial driver's licenses are already in a nationwide database. Accessible by any state DMV. Established 15 years ago.

Commercial & private pilot licenses are also in a nationwide database.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighBoundGeek View Post
The problem with RFID is that anyone you walk by could "scan" your info. They don't even have to swipe your wallet anymore - just stand in a busy spot, and pick up the broadcast from the RFID chip. At least with a barcode - they actually have to go through the effort of getting their hands on your ID.

As to the concerns about the databases - forget it, they're already in place. That's a fight that should have taken place 20 years ago. They just happen to be run by various organizations, like - Google, Yahoo, Citibank, the phone companies, the shared banking networks. And don't kid yourself - they're NOT better than the government, because they will use the information in any way that benefits them. At least with the government - there MIGHT be some amount of oversight.
Apparently, the states are going to continue to use the 2-D barcode instead of other machine readable information technologies such as RFID. The 2-D barcode is already in use by 45 States and the District of Columbia. The barcode method meets the Real ID Act requirements. Isn't there a barcode on the NC vehicle windshield sticker?

Old 09-14-2007, 12:09 PM

39 posts, read 170,092 times
New passports now have an RFID chip. Supposedly they can't be scanned unless open, but when going through an airport or customs, most people keep their passport up and open. The govt eventually wants the 64mb chip to contain not only passport information, but biometric data as well (ie, fingerprints, photos, iris scans, etc). There is a great deal of controversy following the chip due to risk of skimming. Putting the chip in the microwave will also damage the mesh shield that is a security measure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina