Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2007, 12:13 PM

10 posts, read 129,963 times

Advertisements

My family and I are thinking of moving to NC from CT, we are tired of the cold weather and high cost of living. We have 4 kids, so schools are important. We have been reading a lot on this site and exploring different areas. We like New Bern and Cary. However I read some stats on New Bern and it seems that crime is high. I am a teacher and my husband is in construction. We are looking for a family neighborhood with lots of ammentities, new construction, 2200-3000sf. We live now in 3500 sf, with 11 acres, but it is a lot to maintain, and I would rather downsize if the kids have more time outside than inside. I may be wrong but because of the nicer weather kids are outside more? In ct we are inside so much more room is important. We like Carolina colors in New Bern, and in Cary, Twin lakes? We are hoping to spend 350-400. Can anyone help us with some info on these areas. We also looked at Wake Forest. Any info would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 02:26 PM

161 posts, read 683,231 times
Hi, I usually recommend a good relo-kit. I can send you one that would include maps, school guides, area guides and real estate magazines. It really helps you narrow your search of the Triangle area;Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, Apex, and Wake Forest. I get the feeling that you may want just a bit more property than Twin Lakes offers, but I could be wrong. There are so many nice communities in that range and if you pm me your email address, I can also send you some listings of homes and areas I would recommend a CT transfer. We relocated from St. James/Port Jefferson- LI area a little over a year ago and never looked back. We really need teachers and your children can go where you teach. Wake county is really one of the best districts in NC. This is why a lot of Northerners come here. Visit www.ncreportcards.org and www.wcps.net (broken link).
Construction is really booming but you need someone around here to network out your resume as they like to hire after you actually take residence. They don't want to invest any money in anyone who may not actually relocate. My husband's partner is opening up a new ready mix company and I think he will be hiring. I don't know what your husband's secialty is but they are just clearing the land soon and waiting for permits to arrive. I could see what I could do with his resume.

Hope some of this info can help.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:00 PM

10 posts, read 129,963 times
Default Thanks for the info!

Thank you for the information. I would love for you to send us a relocation package. I am new to this so I am not sure how to send you a pm (please tell me how so I can send an e-mail address.) We also looked at Harmony and these seemed nice. Are all the schools year round? I am a special education teacher, I know there is a big demand here for this is it the same there. My husband has been self employed and running a successful business for 20 years. He mainly does exterior wood siding on very upscale homes. However he has a resume that includes, framing, roofing, additions, interior trim. But is now looking for a supervisory/site super hands on type of position. We have also bought and renovated property for sale. As far as lot size, we would love it to be a 1/2 to 1 acre but realize we will probably have to trade off for more ammentities. We are really looking for an active family neighborhood. I would love for you to help us and educate us about the area. This is our 1st move ever and we want to be comfortable with this decision. We do have concerns that the area is growing too fast. We will be visiting the area at the end of June. We hope to have an idea of some areas by then. Do you know anything about New Bern, (carolina colours)?I realize this is not your area, but I read the crime stats and it was a 7 out of 10, 10 being the worst. I would appreciate your opinion on this area. Thanks and I will pm my email once I know how.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:50 PM

161 posts, read 683,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbill View Post
Thank you for the information. I would love for you to send us a relocation package. I am new to this so I am not sure how to send you a pm (please tell me how so I can send an e-mail address.) We also looked at Harmony and these seemed nice. Are all the schools year round? I am a special education teacher, I know there is a big demand here for this is it the same there. My husband has been self employed and running a successful business for 20 years. He mainly does exterior wood siding on very upscale homes. However he has a resume that includes, framing, roofing, additions, interior trim. But is now looking for a supervisory/site super hands on type of position. We have also bought and renovated property for sale. As far as lot size, we would love it to be a 1/2 to 1 acre but realize we will probably have to trade off for more ammentities. We are really looking for an active family neighborhood. I would love for you to help us and educate us about the area. This is our 1st move ever and we want to be comfortable with this decision. We do have concerns that the area is growing too fast. We will be visiting the area at the end of June. We hope to have an idea of some areas by then. Do you know anything about New Bern, (carolina colours)?I realize this is not your area, but I read the crime stats and it was a 7 out of 10, 10 being the worst. I would appreciate your opinion on this area. Thanks and I will pm my email once I know how.
Not all the schools are year round. I have three children and none are on year round. HS is never year round due to AP and SAT testing schedules. Almost all ,Magnet and Charter schools are not either along with many base schools.
Growth is all how you look at it. I like it, good for work opportunities and keeps our economy growing strong. It is a challenge in certain towns but the school district is trying to keep pace. Many people resist change but for someone coming in new, it really doesn't matter what school you are assigned to as long as you like the school. My children aren't being shuffled.
I work mainly in the Triangle area and would not be the appropriate agent to help you in the New Bern area. Crime has never been an issue for me or any of my clients in the Triangle area. Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed It's a real family area and that is why Cary was voted one of the best places to live by Forbes magazine. When you visit, it would be a great idea to review the relo-kit and ask many questions prior to your move. It is really a huge area and many of the local towns have a flavor all of their own. If you are bringing the children, I can give you some nice family things to incorporate in your tour so that they can have a nice time on the family adventure.

ps: The colleges are also wonderful for both you and your children. They all have summer programs for children of all ages. Great opportunities there.
Talk to you soon,
Lynn

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 05:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina