Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 02:18 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
And blizzards, and endless expanses of flat land covered in brown..... No thanks. Our former company asked us to transfer out there from NC. Perhaps if we'd never had exposure to the SE, going out there straight from our native Midwest, we would have accepted the move. As it was, I swear I'd be dead, or miserable enough to wish for death, if we had made the move. Sick? Ye gawds, I was sick. Nauseous, light-headed; I lost my sense of smell and appetite (I dropped 12 pounds in the three weeks I endured the area) and wanted to do nothing but sleep. Everyone living there diagnosed altitude sickness and that "I would get over it." I couldn't understand why I was so sick.
So Silverwing, after leaving CO, did your weight return to normal? Sounds like you had an awful experience there. I once considered moving to Fort Collins, CO back in the 90s with my (then) employer. I noticed the same thing to, in some parts you could look straight in one directions for about 100 miles it seemed. At the time it was interesting and sort of cool...but I guess looking at it every day...may be not so much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2006, 04:55 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
So Silverwing, after leaving CO, did your weight return to normal? Sounds like you had an awful experience there. I once considered moving to Fort Collins, CO back in the 90s with my (then) employer. I noticed the same thing to, in some parts you could look straight in one directions for about 100 miles it seemed. At the time it was interesting and sort of cool...but I guess looking at it every day...may be not so much...
I got off the plane and even the Charlotte-Douglas airport looked good!

Our prospective relocation took place in '94. I remember that Denver was booming after a prolonged period of economic decline that came about because of the oil industry bust in the 80s. Or that's how it was explained to us. There were a lot of Californians bailing on their state because of the recent earthquakes -- much like we see Floridians moving here to get away from the hurricanes. The housing market in Denver was just ridiculous then -- again, much like the bubble markets that the NE posters talk about now. All a Denver-area resident had to do was write FOR SALE on a piece of cardboard, stick it in their front yard, and by nightfall they'd literally have people camped out on their doorstep. I hear that things aren't so frantic out there, now. Just a lesson in the cyclical nature of economics and migration.

Anyway: coming home. We were living in Concord then; I had to pass thru the historic district to get to our neighborhood so my first look at town was of the wonderful old Southern Style homes. It was late spring and the dogwoods were still in bloom, the azaleas lit up the neighborhood, people were out mowing their green yards and trimming their oak and maple trees.... By the next day I could smell my neighbor's Russian Tea Olive bushes, had discarded the sunglasses I wore most of the time out in Colorado because of the intense sunshine; I was almost tempted to go pig out on some Lexington BBQ, but even my joy at being HOME couldn't get me to develop a fondness for that nasty stuff It didn't take long for me to feel hungry, though.

I do admit that Colorado is a dramatic place, once you leave the plains. We might vacation there in the future; driving instead of flying so I can aclimate to the altitude change; but it could never be home.

Old 07-08-2006, 07:11 AM

787 posts, read 3,583,860 times
Let me just say, there is no place like home, which is probably why I haven't left North Carolina and why a lot of people are dissatisfied with their relocation no matter where they relocated to or came from.

Old 07-08-2006, 08:02 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
Bethanytedder,
If you are so happy with NC, and lived in NC for some time, I assume that you are not going anywhere. Why are you at this forum?

Old 07-08-2006, 08:59 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
I can spell. I just can't type. Is that the best you can do on one of my posts?
I find it really amazing that I was able to find the power button on my computer this morning, don't you?
I'm a night owl worker, thereby keeping the same hours sometimes on the weekends. Even if I am wide awake at 3am, my mind is so much in neutral once I'm away from the demands of my job that it's not hard to biff a word. I sometimes check a post and say "aw crumbs, I mixed up their/there/they're!" However, I never thought anyone would be so trollish as to jump someone when they fat-finger or muzzle brain a word IMO, that earns them a one-way trip to the Bozo Bin. As they say on one of my favorite newsgroups: <PLONK!>

Old 07-08-2006, 09:09 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,973 times
Donsabi, this is a Q and A forum. I guess the latter part eluded you.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:19 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Since the original question is "Should we move to NC", it's good to actually here strong arguments one way or the other. If the opinions were heavily numbered "for" or heavily numbered "against" then possibly that might give me reason to pause. I remember asking a friend who had moved to Charlotte from Boston a couple years ago. I was very excited about the prospect of moving down and figured I'll email him to have him "pump me up" a little more. His response was all the bad stuff. I asked him why he sent just the bad stuff, he said he figured I'd already heard the good stuff. He then went on to say he loves it there and it would be a great place to raise your family.

Now that I think about it the "Should we move to NC" question can't be answered by anyone but from within.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:24 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,745,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi
Bethanytedder,
If you are so happy with NC, and lived in NC for some time, I assume that you are not going anywhere. Why are you at this forum?
Who would be better than a native North Carolinian to answer questions about North Carolina?

Old 07-08-2006, 10:13 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,564 times
LOL re the spelling comment...

as for the rest of what you said I agree to a point because sometimes too or is it to (I will wait for Professor English to let me know) much knowledge is dangerous...it's what you do with the knowledge and how you process all this information and even with all the opinions, until you actually move into any area and live there for a reasonable period of time, there really is no other way to know...

Old 07-08-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
GASP! SHOCK! FALL OVER IN A DEAD FAINT!
Quick! Someone get this man some water, or at least an ice coffee with a shot of Baileys Irish Cream!

Well Silver you said what I wanted to say a lot better than I could have (am I dangling a verb?!?)

It's good to have the right factual information to make an informed decision.

Also, like you (at the time), I'm in my mid 30s (well I'll be 37 next month so I guess I have to say late 30s?) and didn't really consider NC until a couple years ago. I saw all my friends with families going down mostly to the Raleigh area, and had such wonderful things to say about the move, the place and the people. If I were single, possibly NC wouldn't be for me (but since I'm not I'll never really know).

My observation is that folks with school age kids seem to provide the most positive feedback (despite the school overcrowding issues). My totally unscientific, totally biased opinion (so you know what it's worth) is that some of the negative feedback are from retirees.

I'm still positive about our decision to move down, and with each day I grow more and more excited about it.

To the original poster of this thread, best of luck with your decision process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina