Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 15,457 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to NC within the next year with our 2 girls who are still toddlers. We have been in Northern Virginia for the last 5 years and are looking for a slower pace of life, welcoming people, less crowding, diversity and enjoying all outdoor activities. We can't decide between moving to Charlotte or moving to the research triangle area. ANy help on what life is like in these 2 places would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 12:03 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,654,293 times
Why are you omitting the Piedmont-Triad area? Especially based on your requirements?

Old 06-25-2009, 12:05 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
What kinds of things are you looking for in a place to live?

Old 06-25-2009, 12:22 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,494,606 times
DH and I moved first to Raleigh and then later to Charlotte from Alexandria, VA. Is there anything in particular you'd like to know about? Of course, you're probably interested in learning about schools, which is something I can't help you with as I don't have any children. But if there's any other information you'd like to know about, post and I'll try to help out as best as I can.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:14 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
What industry do you work in? That should be the biggest determining factor, assuming you'll look for jobs before moving. Charlotte is a big banking/insurance/"big business" area, while RTP is more biotech, state government, and university-dominated. What field(s) are you in?

Old 06-25-2009, 02:35 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,862 times
We moved to the Charlotte area one year ago. We very briefly considered the Raleigh/Durham area because I have a cousin there who likes the area, but she works at Duke, and we decided that if we could be associated with one of the local universities it would make sense to live there (we are not) and otherwise we like living very close to Lake Norman and also close to the city of Charlotte. Ultimately you probably need to visit.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:53 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Think of the Triangle as slower paced NOVA.
The economies are similar which draws similar people. The education level of its citizens is high and, when the national economy is strong, the Triangle's is VERY strong. Now, dial it down a bit and add a bit of Southern charm to it.
I hope that helps.
:-)

Old 06-25-2009, 05:41 PM

201 posts, read 594,066 times
I agree it depends on your career field and whether you prefer big city/small town and what you like to do in your down time.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:28 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfit View Post
My husband and I are moving to NC within the next year with our 2 girls who are still toddlers. We have been in Northern Virginia for the last 5 years and are looking for a slower pace of life, welcoming people, less crowding, diversity and enjoying all outdoor activities. We can't decide between moving to Charlotte or moving to the research triangle area. ANy help on what life is like in these 2 places would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
The Triangle is your area hands down. Good luck and welcome to NC!!!

Old 06-26-2009, 02:35 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfit View Post

Thanks!
Yeah. The Triangle is your place.

I didn't know Charlotte had a faster pace. Hmm... I guess out of the 150+ times I've been there, I must have missed it. IMO, no city in NC is really crowded, it's very easy to get away from it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina