Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:39 PM

71 posts, read 244,621 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I just wanted to know who on here thinks that Greensboro in general is just a better city than Raleigh in terms of economy, nightlife, activities, etc. If you do then please explain why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 02:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV1330 View Post
Hello:

I just wanted to know who on here thinks that Greensboro in general is just a better city than Raleigh in terms of economy, nightlife, activities, etc. If you do then please explain why.

better shopping Friendly,
downtown shopping
better nightlife
better roads

less cookie cutter

Old 08-18-2009, 03:10 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
I like to think of it in somewhat different terms. I agree with Sunny about Friendly Center, and living in Greensboro I found that there was always lots to do within the different venues of the Greensboro Coliseum complex. Certainly PTI is a much easier to use airport than either Charlotte-Douglas or RDU, but of course lacks as many direct flights. The thing about Greensboro is that you can get to what you might want relatively easily. If you want to go to a live concert, it's not far to go to the Verizon Wireless Ampitheater outside Charlotte. Same for watching sports. It's not a big deal to go to Raleigh or Charlotte to attend games. Same for college sports. Wake Forest, Elon, Duke, UNC are all easily reached.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:57 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV1330 View Post
Hello:

Honestly, I can't think of any reason why a person from Charlotte would travel past Greensboro just to go to Raleigh. Raleigh is an awesome place to live, but I certainly don't wish to visit there again. It is just not worth the 2 1/2 hour drive IMO.

I have been to the state fair twice (it was a joke the first time and worse the second time). I have been to the CIAA tournament (it is a MUCH better tournament now that it is in Charlotte). I have been there on New Years for the "Acorn Drop". New Years in Raleigh is fun and the streets were PACKED. However, a New Years in Raleigh is not worth missing Charlotte's New Years for.

If you are not a college basketball fanatic (the best teams are actually in Durham and Chapel Hill, not Raleigh) or a NHL fan (they play near a cow pasture on Raleigh's westside, a downtown location would appeal to me more), Raleigh has nothing over Greensboro to the casual visitor.

In short, Raleigh is highly over rated and Greensboro is highly under rated.

One more thing, NC needs a MLB team and Greensboro would be the perfect city to host it IMO.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:26 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Honestly, I can't think of any reason why a person from Charlotte would travel past Greensboro just to go to Raleigh. Raleigh is an awesome place to live, but I certainly don't wish to visit there again. It is just not worth the 2 1/2 hour drive IMO.

I have been to the state fair twice (it was a joke the first time and worse the second time). I have been to the CIAA tournament (it is a MUCH better tournament now that it is in Charlotte). I have been there on New Years for the "Acorn Drop". New Years in Raleigh is fun and the streets were PACKED. However, a New Years in Raleigh is not worth missing Charlotte's New Years for.

If you are not a college basketball fanatic (the best teams are actually in Durham and Chapel Hill, not Raleigh) or a NHL fan (they play near a cow pasture on Raleigh's westside, a downtown location would appeal to me more), Raleigh has nothing over Greensboro to the casual visitor.

One more thing, NC needs a MLB team and Greensboro would be the perfect city to host it IMO.
In response to the last comment, I think MLB needs to be in Charlotte, Greensboro is not big enough to host any major league pro sports. Charlotte is on the cusp of being MLB ready, it'll probably be within the next 5 years when MLB comes to the QC. I cannot comment on whether Greensboro is actually better than Raleigh b/c I haven't been to Raleigh in over 5 years, but I do know Greensboro has gotten better in recent years, and I'm sure Raleigh has gotten better too in that span. I've been to the CIAA tourney when it was Raleigh and it was pretty good, but I've heard that it has really taken off in Charlotte, I've got to check it out out in Charlotte, haven't been yet since it moved to Charlotte. Overall, all of the big Piedmont metros are doing a good job and are changing for the better.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:01 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

What the...

Old 08-19-2009, 04:22 PM

749 posts, read 1,316,840 times
I prefer Raleigh, hell I prefer Winston over Greensboro.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:49 AM

138 posts, read 419,016 times
I've lived in both Raleigh and Greensboro/High-Point and it all depends on what you are looking for. In my opinion, Raleigh is better when you are young and single and looking for nightlife activities. Greensboro is better for family related activities, and has much less traffic and congestion. The only major negative I have with Greensboro, the whole Triad actually, is the adult athletics programs around here aweful! Most specifically the softball programs in Greensoro/High-Point/Winston-Salem are all HORRIBLE! And the other adult athletics are mostly non-existant.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:27 AM

351 posts, read 1,069,067 times
Raleigh over Greensboro hands down, Greensboring is a very boring blue collar kind of town.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:20 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire120 View Post
I prefer Greensboro over Charlotte, EASILY
I believe this was asking about choosing between Greensboro or Raleigh. I know you hate Charlotte, but this is not asking about Charlotte. And btw, I drove thru Raleigh the other day with a friend driving her son back to ECU, and I wasn't thoroughly impressed with Raleigh, I hope Raleigh looks likes a lot better the more inland you go, b/c it looks like nothing driving along 40/440, and that skyline is no bigger than Greensboro's, so it definately loses points in my book, as it should have a much bigger skyline than Greensboro. I don't want to base my opinion on Raleigh based on that, but if I had to choose between Raleigh or Greensboro, I'd go with Greensboro, b/c Greensboro seemed more developed along their major highways than Raleigh does. Now the RTP area was pretty developed (and congested), but going further into Raleigh, I felt like I was driving in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by prwfromnc; 08-25-2009 at 12:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina