Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 04:53 PM

6 posts, read 239,019 times

Advertisements

I don't want the people who work or who provide work to be penalized for doing so. I don't want to support welfare freaks, whether they are individuals or corporations. Those who own more land than they need but don't use it or are charging other to use it are the true welfare freaks. China is not a good comparison because they confiscate work which I am opposed to. Sales tax and work tax also confiscate work which I am opposed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 04:59 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
But why should i be penalized for owning 50 or 200 acres just to keep it from becoming the next sprawl-marts?

Old 05-22-2009, 08:41 PM

Default Different kinds of taxes

It's precisely low tax on land, and high tax on work that encourages sprawl. When people own more than they use they add distances to trips that people need to make to work, to buy, to play. Also when someone holds on to land, and that land passes to heirs that need money or who are tired of driving many miles to work, the first thing they will do will be to sell it. High tax on work, such as sales tax or wage tax makes it more difficult to earn money for housing, food, clothes, and recreation.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:27 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
So...by converting my 100 acre "wasteland" of forest and animal habits into SPRAWl I will be SAVING the world and helping my neighbor cause they will not have to drive 10 miles to a Sprawl-Mart but will get there in only 4.5 miles?

So if we all sell our 1oo acre woods, SPRAWL will essentially be discouraged by the large availability of land?

But..what if my nearest neighbor is over 50 miles away? Do I improve their life if I convert to Sprawl?

So to recap economics 101==

Sprawl is GOOD (Michael Douglas used the word GREED)

And pristine forest is BAD...

I like that...PAVE THE PLANET and we will save on the consumption of water being used to keep it GREEN...

I see the logic oh so well Grasshopper...

I think I read about this in last years issue of SPARK .....

Old 05-24-2009, 09:06 AM

151 posts, read 404,922 times
Default tax on bagels?

So I know the food tax here is 2% .. I went into a bagel store and bought a dozen bagels. Not prepared with butter or cream cheese, just the bagels, not even sliced. Sales tax charged in Cary - 7.75% (6.75% + 1% "prepared" food). I don't think this is prepared food, therefore should this be taxed at 2%?

Old 05-24-2009, 01:37 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
In what world are you living that bagels aren't prepared food?

Old 05-24-2009, 01:45 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Taxation of Baked Goods by Artisan Bakeries

http://www.dornc.com/taxes/sales/impnotice1108.pdf

Last edited by mm34b; 05-24-2009 at 01:58 PM..

Old 05-24-2009, 02:08 PM

Actually, it does make more sense for someone to have to travel less to buy what they need, saves energy, maybe the trip can me made on foot or bike if it's short enough

A shift to land value tax rather than a tax on buildings, work or services discourages sprawl, because it's cheaper to infill rather than spread out into existing forest and farmland.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:46 PM

17 posts, read 25,383 times
The fact is that North Carolina has more state-maintained roads than any state in the entire country except Texas. Think about that for a second...

How is the state supposed to pay for all that without slightly higher taxes? Magic?

I guess if you are greedy enough, and you just don't care about anybody but yourself, then you always think your taxes should be lower regardless, right?

Hey, if you don't like it, then I suggest you move to a state like Kansas, where you can't drive ten feet without potholes everywhere. It sucks, trust me. Texas is a disaster of a state too, fwiw.

I, for one, am happy to pay slightly more in taxes for my property, given all of the advantages I get from living in a progressive, thriving area like RDU. It sure beats Texas, California, Florida, New York, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, etc., etc., etc..

Old 04-08-2010, 05:48 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr333 View Post

I guess if you are greedy enough, and you just don't care about anybody but yourself, then you always think your taxes should be lower regardless, right?
It is not greedy to demand that the taxes not be pizzed away on waste, corruption, incompetence, greed and special interests. NC is a corrupt little state with many pickpockets in charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina