Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:15 AM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times

Advertisements

Because they've watched too many episodes of the "Andy Griffith Show".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 09:18 AM

444 posts, read 1,144,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
I know a lot of NC residents have been born and raised there. But were you ancestors always from NC too? Yes I'm a yankee now. But I plan on becoming a southerner. Putting roots down in NC and all that.
I guess you wonder where our heritage comes from? As I have heard many northerners say we have no culture, I laugh. Its funny to me cause most of us came from europe and africa just like northerners.
Alright I think it depends really. My direct ancsestor was a treasurer in the White House. I wont give you his name for privacy purposes.
As for heritage my ancestors were german, dutch, and scott-irish decent.
I hope this helps
Were your ancestors always from where you were?

Old 01-02-2010, 09:30 AM

431 posts, read 1,142,154 times
Mine were scattered. Some settled in upstate New York (where I live right now), others in Massachusetts and Ohio. But what I'm really saying is did they settle immediately in North Carolina or did they eventually make the move?

Old 01-02-2010, 09:50 AM

444 posts, read 1,144,142 times
I guess they did eventually make the move. Some lived in Tennesee, Virginia, and Georgia.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:26 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Although NC/SC/TN/KY/FL residents may think there is a diabolical scheme going on to "take over the south" concocted by Northerners to assert their dominance on all peoples of the nation and force our pizza, driving habits, nasal-screeching, obnoxious, know-it-all attitude and general "we are the better inhabinants of the world" bravado on the kinder, gentler southerners, it comes down to this and simply this for 99.9 percent of all incoming people:

It is cheaper living in the south (that margin may be shrinking but at the same time, it's just getting more expensive up north, esp. NY), the weather is far more favorable for the majority of the year with a lot more sunshine than many cities in the north due to locations situated on or near the Great Lakes which results in the infamous "lake effect (constantly cloudy) weather", there is a slower pace of life that appeals to mnay worn out northerners as they get older and, last time I checked, you can still move there without a passport
And jobs. And good schools.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:11 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
And jobs.
You haven't been reading the right threads, I see...

Quote:
But were you ancestors always from NC too?
Y

It doesn't matter where one's ancestors are from, only where he/she is from. If you were born in NC, you're a native, even if your parents had just plopped off the boat the night before. What starts all of these "Well unless you have lived here for 10000 generations, you aren't one to talk about transplants" threads?

If you, not your parents, were born and raised in NC, you're a Tar Heel.

Quote:
Yes I'm a yankee now. But I plan on becoming a southerner.
Generally one doesn't "become" a Southerner; it's usually used in a "heritage" meaning. A Southerner can move anywhere else in the country, but he'll always be a Southerner. Similarly, just moving here doesn't make you a Southerner especially if you are self-admitted "Yankee". The process would take years and years of cultural acclimation, accent (nobody will ever be accepted as "Southern" with a pronounced northern regional accent; at least lose the more "defining" characteristics), attitude, etc.

But it's nice that you, unlike so many transplants, see being Southern as a positive (or at least a non-negative) thing. And I am certainly not saying that Southerners are "better" than anybody else; merely that this is something that is a part of one's being, not just an address. The same would be said about being a New Englander, a Midwesterner, a New Yorker, etc.

Last edited by Francois; 01-02-2010 at 01:34 PM..

Old 01-02-2010, 11:38 PM

431 posts, read 1,142,154 times
My family "plopped" down in New York for the most part. I plan on doing that in North Carolina. And yes, I call myself a "yankee" because that's the life I've known. But I don't think everything is better in the north and I don't plan on missing much of it when I move. I know I can't move and start calling myself a southerner. But eventually I won't be a "yankee" anymore either.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:03 AM

166 posts, read 391,461 times
Here are some of my reasons why I plan to move to NC.
Cost of living:
Groceries will cost: 11% Less
Housing will cost: 20% Less
Utilities will cost: 5% Less
Transportation will cost: 4% Less
Healthcare will cost: 1% More

Education:
Comparable university tuition 43% Less

Weather:
By far milder winter
By far shorter winter
By far more sunny days
- for about same summer temps and humidity

Geography:
Closer to ocean
Closer to mountains (with ski slops)
Proximity to other big metropolitan cities
Much more greener with tall mature trees

Infrastructure:
Multiple big cities in NC
Better and cleaner roads
Charlotte poised for growth (top 10 cities in US i think it was)

Demography:
Good diversity ratio

I hope there are not a lot of bad surprises but I am convinced this would be good enough reason to move.

Helloooooo North Carolina! my new home sweet home

Old 01-03-2010, 01:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic View Post
Here are some of my reasons why I plan to move to NC.
Cost of living:
Groceries will cost: 11% Less
Housing will cost: 20% Less
Utilities will cost: 5% Less
Transportation will cost: 4% Less
Healthcare will cost: 1% More

Education:
Comparable university tuition 43% Less

Weather:
By far milder winter
By far shorter winter
By far more sunny days
- for about same summer temps and humidity

Geography:
Closer to ocean
Closer to mountains (with ski slops)
Proximity to other big metropolitan cities
Much more greener with tall mature trees

Infrastructure:
Multiple big cities in NC
Better and cleaner roads
Charlotte poised for growth (top 10 cities in US i think it was)

Demography:
Good diversity ratio

I hope there are not a lot of bad surprises but I am convinced this would be good enough reason to move.

Helloooooo North Carolina! my new home sweet home
WELCOME HOME!
great post

Old 01-03-2010, 02:37 AM

166 posts, read 391,461 times
Thanks SunnyKayak for your kind comments and great pictures. Charlotte is absolutely beautiful city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina