Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 07:57 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times

Advertisements

Ummm...negative attitude versus positive attitude...I should just keep my mouth shut...right??? Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2006, 05:44 AM

25 posts, read 111,861 times
Thanks for everyone's help. It does make me nervous that the prices of houses is on the rise down there and the taxes are too low to handle the costs of growth while the teacher's salaries are extremely low. I think with a masters degree starting pay was under 35.

Are you teachers relocating there nervous about making ends meet with the low salaries and rising costs? I am single, so it is just my income and I'm worried.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:52 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,564 times
I am not a teacher but I think you are sharing valid concerns...I think it would probably many years for their taxes to reach what we pay here, but long term it will occur...Eventually (i think the prediction is until 2010) growth will slow and they may not need to build more schools but I know in Union County in 2008 their taxes will increase by 17.75 cents to cover the cost of all these new schools...Additionally, if houses rise when people get re-assessed that causes an increase too (that is why our taxes rose so much)...it is something that is very hard to predict but I think of a lot of overvalued markerts are coming down and those people will either stay put waiting the market to stabilize or they will not be able to afford higher end in NC especially if you make a high salary here. As grass is greener has said and I have noted too it is not cheaper there...yes you saving on housing and taxes - ins costs too but everything else is the same...I wonder if Duke can handle the onset of new houses, will they have to build something which would case a major elec increase

Old 07-29-2006, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,952 times
Default two-teacher family doing fine in NC

My husband and I both came to NC from northern states. We teach in middle schools in central NC and hope to get jobs in Wake Co. next year. Wake Co. has a higher supplement than other NC counties and the housing is affordable in suburbs like Holly Springs and Fuquay-Varina.

The way to make it in North Carolina on teachers' salaries is to get National Boards (12% pay raise) and/or a masters degree (10% pay raise). If you consider the base salary, local supplement, the recent 8% raise for NC teachers, and the National Boards/masters increase, it's a decent living wage. In fact, with National Board Certification I'll be making the same salary as a teacher with my years of experience in many PA districts (known to pay teachers well). The property taxes, although they may be on the rise due to growth, aren't nearly as high as the high rates of the northeastern states.

Also, you can retire with benefits at 20 years (reduced...but still an option) in NC. Some northern states require 30-35 years of service in order to receive health benefits.

The weather is SO MUCH BETTER HERE. Even when it's cold in January, the skies are blue. Sure beats the bleak winters I remember from my childhood!

Old 11-18-2007, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,102 times
Default possibly relocating to NC

Is there anyone out there who can help me with some of my important questions that I have from a teacher to teacher:
First, with 13 years of experience in Ohio schools and comparing my salary with NC state's school, all I can say is "Yikes!" I have even looked up the state health care plan and see the 90/10 PPO is about $580 per month, paid by employee. "Yikes, again!" Then, I took 6% of the NC salary per month for retirement contribution and said "What am I left with?"
Does anyone have advice, or insight? I cannot believe that health care is so costly in NC. Thank you in advance for any help or advice you may have.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:36 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,206,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeS View Post
Is there anyone out there who can help me with some of my important questions that I have from a teacher to teacher:
First, with 13 years of experience in Ohio schools and comparing my salary with NC state's school, all I can say is "Yikes!" I have even looked up the state health care plan and see the 90/10 PPO is about $580 per month, paid by employee. "Yikes, again!" Then, I took 6% of the NC salary per month for retirement contribution and said "What am I left with?"
Does anyone have advice, or insight? I cannot believe that health care is so costly in NC. Thank you in advance for any help or advice you may have.
Hi Renee:

I'm bumping this thread up in hopes that it gets noticed and perhaps an answer from some teachers in NC. Also, two of my college age sons are becoming teachers; one will be graduating Spring of 2008 - Chemistry/Biology is his major; the other one - Spanish. We're located in NE OH. I've been looking at relocation for 5-6 years now; moving the kids has always been THE issue. We have kids in college, high school, junior high and elementary. Husband is pharmacist; could reciprocate license. I am accountant, now an entrepreneur - looking for an area that accepts and encourages entrepreneurship. I am more astounded at the high costs of health care costs for teachers than the salary itself. I hope that some NC teachers can chime in on this one. Wishing everyone a blessed Thanksgiving.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,580 times
Default Elementary teacher to relocate to NC ( Charlotte or Raleigh) from Queens, NY

Hello everyone,

I will graduate from college next year in May 2011 (NY) and want to relocate to Charlotte, NC. I love it there and in comparasion with NY, the prices on rent are very low. Now, NY has no jobs for elementary edu teachers and I am interested in getting a job in Charlotte or near Charlotte. How is the teaching job market there? In NY the minute you turn on the TV, all you can see, is how firing teachers will solve the budget problem. What should I do?

Thank you so much,
Ramona.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:43 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramovero View Post
Hello everyone,

I will graduate from college next year in May 2011 (NY) and want to relocate to Charlotte, NC. I love it there and in comparasion with NY, the prices on rent are very low. Now, NY has no jobs for elementary edu teachers and I am interested in getting a job in Charlotte or near Charlotte. How is the teaching job market there? In NY the minute you turn on the TV, all you can see, is how firing teachers will solve the budget problem. What should I do?

Thank you so much,
Ramona.
Teachers in Charlotte are losing their jobs, too.
You might want to start a new thread, as this one is a few years old.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:41 AM

2,303 posts, read 5,680,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Teachers in Charlotte are losing their jobs, too.
You might want to start a new thread, as this one is a few years old.
Unfortunately, this is true. Charlotte-Mecklenburg just gave about 600 teachers pink slips last week. They may be letting as many as 1,000 teachers go. If you are licensed in a high needs area, that may be the best way to slip into any of the systems in the area. Wake County has a hiring freeze too, I think. Not to say it's impossible to find a job here, but you'll have to search much harder than those who graduated up to about 2-3 years ago did.

On another hand, look into charter schools and private schools. Private schools may not have been hit as hard by the economy. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina