Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 04:34 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,919 times

Advertisements

I work in an office setting and sometimes have a hard time understanding true southerners and have to ask them to repeat themselves the funny thing is they have to ask me to repeat myself also! I'm from MI and am told I have an accent.

As far as picking up southern traditions and ways of living, heck yes. I love the way of life over here in eastern NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 10:43 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,520 times
Lol...Everyone thinks I sound funny. My Northern friends who I moved away from 23 years ago think I have a Southern twang and my Southern friends still detect a Northern twang!

Old 06-01-2007, 11:19 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
Only southern euphanishms that rake on my nerves are "How are yooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" and "cold chill." Duh, that is like saying ice is cold.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:38 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
In my experience, people's accents will change in the eyes of their northern peers - back home, people might say "You sound like a southerner". But southerners will still think they sound like a northerner.

I met a guy yesterday, who said he'd been living in North Carolina since 1979. From his accent, I thought he was straight from Boston (turned out it was Connecticut).

I think if someone moved south when they were a teenager, then their accent would be more likely to change. Adults often start saying southern words like "y'all", but the accent still stays northern.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:30 PM

134 posts, read 438,774 times
When I was 12, my family moved to Florida from Alabama. Although georgraphically southern, most of my friends were from the northeast and midwest. Slowly I was picking up on their accents. My father, on the other hand, was 37 at the time and worked with many northeasterers and midwesterners and his accent did not change. I did know quite a few southerners down there as well, but it was the older ones who kept their original accent. We left Florida when I was 20 (31 now) and moved back to Alabama, but to this day, I still sound like I did when I lived in Florida. I just can't pick up the southern accent..weird, huh? I guess our accents are learned through our maturing years and is hard to change as an adult.

Last edited by markdalton; 06-01-2007 at 06:47 PM..

Old 06-02-2007, 01:20 AM

29 posts, read 237,213 times
Definitely true,I have to say the same for my friends who relocated in the south and they might have certain undertones but their accent still sounds quite the same.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:13 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times
I think that 99% of adult northerners who picked up an accent really didn't but are just trying to be act like a southerner. My closest friend is from New Jersey, been down here since 1999, his girl is a southerner yet there's not even a hint of an accent on him. Other people I've spoken to who've been here for quite a few years don't have it either.

Maybe it's like a Jedi mind trick...a wave of the hand, "You will speak with a southern accent"

"I will spayeek with a southern accayynt"....

Old 06-02-2007, 12:59 PM

90 posts, read 343,235 times
I have lived down here for 11 years and haven't picked up the southern drawl. i did learn to speak much slower when talking to the locals, they would just get that dud look and i knew i lost them. When i first came down i couldn't understand some of the locals, i really tried but didn't get but 1 or two words every sentence. Now its scary because the same people i couldn't understand i i dooooo now and without a problem. my youngest son has picked up some of it but he was only 4 when we moved. I have a older son who had alot of problems getting use to saying yes mam and calling women miss whatever there first name was. The teachers always made him say it before they would answer him. But i have to say the kids down here have way more respect for their elders, its nice, i love it here and would NEVER go back to long island. I do miss the food and the people.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:49 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
Yeah one of the girls I dated when I first moved here live in Blacksburg SC and was raised near there. I was about 27 or 28 and she was a few years older than me and I couldnt understand her on the phone most of the time and I probably still wouldnt be able to.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:56 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
I've met several people from up north that now speak with a southern accent. Some have been here for less then 3 years. I've been here a few months and I think I'm getting one. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina