Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 08:19 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times

Advertisements

I was searching through some topics on this, but there didn't seem to be many from recent history.

I'd like to treat my parents to a nice seafood/fish dinner sometime in the near future. Does anyone have a suggestion for what you consider to be the best place to go for seafood? It doesn't matter where it is.

Also, and I can't believe after 16 years living here that I don't know this, but what seafood is the most native and presumably freshest? And what is the most popular method of preparing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 08:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
The two places I have been that have the best seafood is Welcome to Skippers Seafood & Chowder House (http://www.skippers.net/ - broken link) in Thomasville but close to Lexinton and easy to get to off Hwy 64
google review
Skipper's Seafood Restaurant - Google Maps

Another one in Lexington is Captain Steve's Family Seafood Restaurant
google review
Captain Steven's Seafood Restaurant - Google Maps

both are out in the country and they both can be pack so that tells you people are willing to drive
for good seafood. besides the good seafood they treat you with hush puppies galore.
I never had issue with drink refills either, and at either place plan on leaving with a doggy bag
because they give you ample servings

I hope you guys have fun

Old 02-18-2010, 09:27 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,350,760 times
And there are two Capt.Steves in town. There is one on Monroe , on the left past Village Lake , and another on Carowinds Blvd. past 77 going to Fort Mill. Don't forget Mayflower at Concord Mills. Lastly , there is Blue Bay in Albemarle. They have been around for at least 20 years , and the food is always good. If you decide to go , just keep out on Albemarle until you reach the water tower behind a Walgreens on the left. The restaurant is on the right , immediately after the light on 740 east.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:34 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
http://www.city-data.com/city/Calaba...-Carolina.html

When you think of seafood in North Carolina the word that comes to mind is Calabash. I will go to see if I can find the restaurant, but I believe this is the city where it is located. If someone else knows this, please help me out.

http://www.ellasofcalabash.com/

We are not into seafood that much, but I have been hearing about this place for years.

For broiled flounder we head to the seafood place at the edge of Waxhaw. It is on N. C. Highway 75 going toward South Carolina. At this age, we are very interested in low fat. Your parents may be too.

For the largest serving for the money we discovered a restaurant in Asheboro with the word "Rodehouse" in its name. We both left stuffed. After doing a search for this restaurant which turned out to be the American Rodehouse, I decided not to post it because not everyone had the same good experience that we did.

But the most famous in North Carolina is Calabash.

Last edited by NCN; 02-18-2010 at 10:17 PM..

Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
K, you gotta head to the coast, "good seafood" and Charlotte hardly go hand in hand. If you ask this question on the Coastal forum I bet you'll get lots of good suggestions

But if you really can't go that far my vote would be for Lavecchia's as the best in the Charlotte area: http://www.lavecchias.com/

Old 02-19-2010, 06:24 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
I like Friday's 1890 in New Bern
Friday's 1890 Seafood & BBQ - New Bern | Urbanspoon

Old 02-19-2010, 06:41 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
^ I agree, lovesmountains--you gotta go to the beach. Calabash is the most renown, and there are many other great seafood restaurants along the NC coast. At Calabash, you'll find Ella's, Dockside, Seafood Hut, and Beck's to be the most recommended. These four trace their roots back to the early 1900's when two sisters began preparing fresh seafood right off the boats to sell to the locals. They invented the Calabash cooking style--fresh seafood lightly breaded and deep fried, served with cole slaw and hushpuppies. This is the quintessential NC seafood experience.

A few others I can recommend:

Fisherman's Wharf in Wanchese (near Manteo)--nothing fancy, but fresh as you can get (it's located right by the docks!)
The Net House in Beaufort
Betty's at Holden Beach
Twin Lakes at Sunset Beach
Catch in Wilmington

I'm sure others can chime in with many more suggestions--there are lots of good choices in NC!

Old 02-19-2010, 06:46 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
i would imagine down by the coast would be your best bet, though i was pleasantly surprised by a place called The Lobster Trap in Asheville.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina