Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 09:09 PM

50 posts, read 171,150 times

Advertisements

Well... We are finally on our way to North Dakota to start our new lives. It really is a mixture of nervousness and excitement.

We are in St. George, Utah right now. Tomorrow we will be in Idaho and then I'll see how far I get the next day. Traveling with three kids and a kitten really does make it harder.

We have completely researched Valley City, but I think when I get there I am going to get a motel in Fargo (they are cheaper there) while I look in and around Valley City for something more permanent. Is that a good idea? Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks.
MyShell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 04:14 AM

18 posts, read 61,794 times
Valley City and Fargo are about 70-80 minutes apart, I don't think you'll want to explore Valley City and stay in fargo.
Good Luck,
Jon

Old 06-25-2007, 07:28 AM

82 posts, read 258,312 times
Jamestown might be a better place to stay. It is only 30 miles from Valley City and has a few nice hotels in town. I'm not sure if the rates in Fargo are much cheaper (or if they're cheaper) than in Jamestown, but you only have to drive half as far.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:45 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,606,142 times
When I was in Valley City I stayed at the Wagon Wheel Inn ...I thought it was clean with reasonable rates ...bonus ...it has an indoor pool and includes complimentry breakfast .....with the price of gas these days you want to minimize travel ...so staying in Valley City would make more sense to me

Old 06-26-2007, 07:46 PM

180 posts, read 634,913 times
Kind of curious: Why Valley City?

Old 06-26-2007, 09:19 PM

Hey!! Thanks for the input!

I'm actually in Montana today. Gorgeous state! The prettiest so far. We've passed through California (of course), Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, and now Montana. Next and final stop, North Dakota.

Why Valley City? Well, originally, we were looking at a few different states. And once we got to North Dakota and read all we could read and looked at all we could look at, we just kind of new that this was where we wanted to raise our kids. We were trying to keep it along the major highways because my husband is a truck driver and thought it would be easier. Plus, Valley City is so beautiful. And we thought it wasn't that far from Fargo. Our actual original thought was to live in a smaller city not to far from a bigger city.

So, now, we are going to Valley City, but are not going to limit our looking to just that city. Any of the smaller towns not too far from Fargo or Valley City may be options for us. It's just so hard to say when we haven't been there yet, you know? And it is extremely scary to be moving to a new state with no actual place to call home right away. But, at the same time, impossible to do from California. We're really praying about it, cuz motels/hotels can get expensive.

We are in Miles City, Montana today. So, we'll be able to get all the way to ND tomorrow. It's been a long drive.

I'll look up that Wagon Wheel Inn... Thank you.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:56 AM

Some other towns to look at my include: Horace (10 minutes from Fargo and now almost a suburb), Castleton, Kindred, or even Wapheton to the south. I grew up in Enderlin, a great little town, that was easy access to it all.
Good luck,
Jon

Old 06-27-2007, 08:11 PM

Default Finally here.

LRUA: Thank you for the tip on the Wagon Wheel Inn.

Jon S: Thanks. I will definitely check out those towns.

We just got here a few hours ago. It is truly pretty. One big problem I am having. I can't seem to get any cell phone reception. I have Cingular. I drove around the town today and it just kept trying to search for a signal. Anyone have Cingular and not have problems? I have to be able to get a hold of my husband. The only reception I found so far is outside my room. LOL I gave everyone my room number to call me here!

I finally found a Starbucks in Bismarck and got lost looking for it! LOL Got off on the wrong freeway. I finally found my way back to the 94. But, that river was gorgeous! Whichever river it was. LOL I'll probably look it up so we can go back there when I'm not lost. (I found Starbucks, too. Yum!!)

Now I just have to try to find somewhere to live. I'm gonna City-Data all those cities, Jon.

Thanks!!!!!

Old 06-28-2007, 08:25 AM

If you have a map alot of the towns are with in an easy reach of valley city.
You might look at the Enderlin Independent web page to see a bit about the area.
Good Luck
Jon

Old 06-28-2007, 04:00 PM

242 posts, read 854,395 times
Hi there! Funny that you're moving to North Dakota from Utah when I just did the near opposite a year ago. Except I went to college in Grand Forks and grew up in northern Minnesota and ended up in Tooele, UT before getting settled in Salt Lake.

As far as cell phones go, I have Verizon and it worked perfectly as I drove across the state. I do know that in some of the smaller towns there is really bad reception, but my friend lives in Ellendale and can get reception with Verizon just fine (as well as Jamestown, Valley City, and so on. )

I also stayed in Miles City, MT on my way through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota