Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 12:55 AM

3 posts, read 5,918 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the area. Anyone know any cool roads to take outside of town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 07:21 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,000,630 times
Well....you got lots of farmland in any direction of Grand Forks. The most scenic if you will is probably the highway 2 stretch around Turtle River State Park due to the ridge/hills as you exit the valley and enter the more rolling prairie west of the valley.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:40 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,702 times
Here's some links to ND and MN scenic byways

About North Dakota's Scenic Byways and Backways (http://www.parkrec.nd.gov/byways/index.html - broken link)

Best Scenic Drives in Minnesota | Best Scenic Drives Minnesota

In the summer, I think Highways 18 and 32 North from the Larimore area are very scenic in their own way - as they give some "vistas" looking down on the Red River Valley. They also lead to Icelandic State Park near Walhalla, and the Pembina River Gorge. The Walhalla make be a decent place to check out anytime. As you go north in the valley, the ridge separating the valley and the drift prairie (pot hot region) becomes steeper.

Following the Sheyenne River from south of Devils Lake can be a picturesque drive - but again especially in the summer or early fall.

Further west in ND, there are a number of scenic drives - none of them very well traveled.

http://www.dot.nd.gov/imgs/nd-highway-sys-lrg.png

Old 12-17-2010, 02:31 PM

559 posts, read 1,466,079 times
Don't you know every road you take in ND will be scenic? Just kidding But really...it all kinda looks the same. I mean, I enjoy the plains and the miles upon miles of nothing, it can be very pretty and make you feel very small but every once in awhile I'd like to see some trees or a mountain or something!

Old 12-30-2010, 09:53 AM

80 posts, read 209,827 times
Larimore south to Northwood is really pretty.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Visiting some of the websites devoted to interesting motorcycle rides will probably put you into some of the more scenic areas of the state,Heres one site that i've cued up with N.Dak.
North Dakota Motorcycle Roads & Trips - Best North Dakota Motorcycle Rides & Routes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota