Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 02:54 PM

22 posts, read 42,304 times

Advertisements

I really need a place around Williston ......So my question is has anyone tried the Rent to Own Homes places with success. Craigslist has a lot of these postings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,427 times
I heard it was hard to find a rental around Williston.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:08 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,001 times
The majority of Williston postings on craigslist are fakes. They are not real. The real ones are the ones that are ridiculously overpriced... that's how you can tell they're real. If it's telling you 2 bedrooms rent to own for under $1,000 a month the ad isn't real.

Good luck. Finding a place to rent in Williston is close to impossible, and unless you've got some serious cash it isn't going to happen anytime soon. Your best bet is to get on a waiting list and plan on being there for over a year.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:07 AM

Yeah and its a shame too that people are charging so much!! Not all families work in the oilfield. I simply was very interested in Williston College. Oh well .... Montana or another state can have little people like me :-)

I do not see families having a fighting chance in Williston. Im not griping just venting just because I got my hopes up about the College there. And their is NO way we can afford $2000.00 a month. Owners are more interested in renting to several individuals in one house. Oh well ... on to my next adventure. Good luck to All!!!

Old 01-24-2011, 06:43 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,001 times
If you're looking to go to school you should contact WSC and ask them about student housing, I know they have some.

If you planned on starting in the fall there's a chance that you may make it into a place (a chance) that is affordable. I'd suggest calling Pheasant Run and Park Village Apartments and see if they have waiting lists, both places are more on the affordable side. (They're also not the nicest places in town... but it's a roof over your head.) There is also housing from the housing authority if you don't make too much money. (I know some people who make $13/hr working 50 hours a week that qualify for it... so you can give it a try.)

My family and I live in Williston, we're doing OK. But my husband works in the oilfield and he's been working this job for a few years so he's not at entry level pay either. That being said, it's a VERY expensive place to live (were a family of 3 and we rarely get out of the store with under $200 every 2 weeks in groceries, gas is pricey, etc). I'm a stay at home mom now, but I know a few families that are able to make it up here. It's not easy but it can be done.

But my first phone call would be to the college, they may be able to help you out.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:04 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gates_74 View Post
Yeah and its a shame too that people are charging so much!! Not all families work in the oilfield. I simply was very interested in Williston College. Oh well .... Montana or another state can have little people like me :-)

I do not see families having a fighting chance in Williston. Im not griping just venting just because I got my hopes up about the College there. And their is NO way we can afford $2000.00 a month. Owners are more interested in renting to several individuals in one house. Oh well ... on to my next adventure. Good luck to All!!!
Everybody is getting their piece of the pie. One of the guys out of here, that moved up to Williston for the oilpatch is driving truck. He's living in a motel. 2 weeks ago they raised the monthly rent from $800 a month, to $1200 a month.

Logistics is backwards too. Some patch workers moved up and got housing. Then the company's started moving them around for their work. But they are afraid to give up their place because the company may move them again. I know one guy that lives in Williston and drives to Tioga for his job. I also know a guy living in Tioga that drives to Williston every day.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:31 AM

7 posts, read 11,935 times
We also are in the oil field. We found a home in Tioga and my husband travels to Williston every day. When I was looking for a place in Williston, I had found a home for $2000 a month. That was already ridiculous, but you do what you have to do. Well, to make a long story short, about a week after we found the home, the owner called and said she could not rent to us because a company had offered her $3500 a month for it. How the heck does a family compete? We don't. We look in the towns outside of Williston and commute. We have seen this before and it just isn't right. Crazy what we do to make a living.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:09 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,556 times
As a young family, and going to school...check out the new apartment complex called Waters Edge. It is housing for families on fixed incomes. (not a housing project) They just opened up a new 72 unit apartment complex on Williston's east side (not far from WSC)...just down the hill behind HeadStart. You might have some luck getting in there. Info and phone number listed below

Waters Edge Apts - Brand new! Apartments For Rent in Williston, North Dakota - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

Old 01-24-2011, 06:30 PM

Thank You ...

Roloff1976 - Thanks and I will call in the morning.

I am just very bothered by all the price gouging. And frankly it scares me even to rent in Williston. House or Apartment. What is to stop any owner from kicking us out because some company offered them more money - nothing. And this is spreading into Montana. I think it bothers me more because it is the families that are hurting. I know some new Apartments went up - but the big companies already had them reserved.

Any way, thanks for all the replies and I am sorry to the ones that hurting. Wish I had the money to help!!!

Old 01-24-2011, 06:31 PM

Oh and now I see why the unemployment rate is the lowest in North Dakota .... No housing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota