Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 11:11 AM

50 posts, read 114,754 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are considering a move to Minot, ND. I really can't find much information about the area. I was wondering if anyone could help. I have a couple questions:

1. How hard is it to find housing (rentals/apartments) to take pets also? I need at least a 3 bedroom.....

2. What is the education like there? I have a 6 and 5 year old.

3. I am a teacher (special ed). Was wondering if it would be difficult for me to find a job there. I am currently in Delaware and can not find anything!!!!!

4. Pediatricians and Doctors - long wait list to get one because of the boom in that area????

5. In general, what is the area like? I really can't find any pictures or anything!!! We are considering a move back to Tampa, FL but are debating because of a job up there.

Thanks!!
Lauren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 12:42 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
I live in the Grand Forks ND area....but my wife is from Minot and we just had a friend from Minot/Burlington who lost her home come from a visit.

Minot was growing like crazy before the flood this late spring/early summer as the air force base there was getting a new mission. The main oil area for workers is west of them, but many companies are making headquarters there and are hiring and will hire quite a bit.

The flood just made a bad situation much worse in terms of housing. Housing was on short supply before the flood, now it is very very challenging to find a place. And to find a 3 Br that will take pets is even more difficult. Prices have increased greatly lately a 3 BR house or apt could easily cost 2000+ a month.

The town itself is growing a lot with many new restaurants and businesses, but there is a labor shortage and many places have to cut back on hours of operation due to lack of workers in the food service area. But you can start at Taco Bell at 12-14/hr.

Educational system in Minot and all ND is great, but the flood destroyed a middle school and at least one elementary school and until that situation is resolved on re-building, many schools are crowded.

I like Minot, but personally I just dont think right now is the time to move there unless you got a great job lined up. The whole oil and especially flood situation needs time to settle to see what the city will do and build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesfamof4 View Post
Hi. We are considering a move to Minot, ND. I really can't find much information about the area. I was wondering if anyone could help. I have a couple questions:

1. How hard is it to find housing (rentals/apartments) to take pets also? I need at least a 3 bedroom.....

2. What is the education like there? I have a 6 and 5 year old.

3. I am a teacher (special ed). Was wondering if it would be difficult for me to find a job there. I am currently in Delaware and can not find anything!!!!!

4. Pediatricians and Doctors - long wait list to get one because of the boom in that area????

5. In general, what is the area like? I really can't find any pictures or anything!!! We are considering a move back to Tampa, FL but are debating because of a job up there.

Thanks!!
Lauren

Old 10-27-2011, 12:55 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
I forgot to add...

Minot is in the prairie region and in an area of gently rolling hills with lots of wheat/canola/sunflowers and even corn grown. Minot is in the Souris (Mouse) river basin and as such the downtown is down in the valley if you will and there is a north hill and a south hill parts of town on either side of the river valley. Most of the growth and new businesses has been in the south, especially near the mall.

Difference between Tampa and Minot is quite stark for weather. Minot is in a very changeable area of the country weather-wise with wide day to day or week to week changes often. The heart of the winter runs roughly from near Thanksgiving to about mid March...when low temperatures below zero are frequent....the coldest period is January where lows of 15 to 25 below are not unusual with sometimes colder readings in a couple of years. Snowfall is often not heavy, but because of the cold weather it can stay on the ground for the entire winter and it can be windy as well at times causing the famous north dakota blizzards. Springs are short and summers are nice and way more comfortable than Florida or Delaware, though hot and humid periods can occur. Most summer days (mid June to mid Aug) will see highs 80 to 85 and lows nr 60. You can have some days in the 90s. Usually there is a breeze. Falls are often the best time of the year with pleasant sunny days and cool nights.

Dan

Old 10-27-2011, 01:59 PM

249 posts, read 645,349 times
Most of the jobs in Tampa are Service Industry, Sales, upper level IT and Customer Service and Healthcare.. the housing prices are way outta line with the number of vacancies (whole neighborhoods, spec, homes and condos, sitting empty)... gonna try my hand in ND next week...

Old 11-04-2011, 09:26 AM

50 posts, read 114,754 times
Thanks all. I think we're heading back to Tampa.
Not sure I can do anymore cold weather!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota