Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 04:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,099 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone,

I work for the CEO of a manufactured home and community builder. We do off-grid homes, energy efficient green homes, senior housing, etc.

The CEO and VP are scheduled to go to Williston during the first week of December. We would LOVE to help out with the housing shortage that the community is facing. I just need to know the right people to call, to set up some meetings.

Can anyone suggest good contacts in town? So far, I was thinking local offices of Halliburton, Schlumberger, Calfrac, Maxum and ONEOK. Not sure if those are the best.

Our off grid house doesn't take any infrastructure, and we could get some decent homes built very affordably in a very short period of time (perhaps in the Spring, since the winters are so bad there).

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Janece
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 05:45 PM

249 posts, read 645,329 times
? infrastructure ?

What about sewage???

Old 11-18-2011, 06:03 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneceH View Post
Hi, everyone,

I work for the CEO of a manufactured home and community builder. We do off-grid homes, energy efficient green homes, senior housing, etc.

The CEO and VP are scheduled to go to Williston during the first week of December. We would LOVE to help out with the housing shortage that the community is facing. I just need to know the right people to call, to set up some meetings.

Can anyone suggest good contacts in town? So far, I was thinking local offices of Halliburton, Schlumberger, Calfrac, Maxum and ONEOK. Not sure if those are the best.

Our off grid house doesn't take any infrastructure, and we could get some decent homes built very affordably in a very short period of time (perhaps in the Spring, since the winters are so bad there).

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Janece
There is a moratorium on mancamps for three or 4 more months and it will more than likely be passed again. Williams county and the city of Williston have really cracked down on housing. I'd say you need to contact the city of Williston and the county waaaaaay before trying to contact companies to use your housing. I manage a business in Williston and we have housing for our employees. My first question to you would be...."Has the city or county Ok'd any projects for you." I'm sure you are saying....."We aren't going to plan a project without customers." That's the predicament for everyone flocking to Williston right now. Good luck and tell us how it goes. And by the way 2000 homes were built this year so don't think you guys are the first to come to the rescue.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:05 PM

The city is trying to figure out their policy on what constitutes "temporary housing". Modular homes could be "temporary". A modular home company was just denied for a development near Epping. They had their things in order and presented a very strong plan. It was denied. There is still a "not in my backyard" from a lot land owners.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:08 PM

174 posts, read 378,809 times
You aren't going to get anywhere without approval from planning and zoning. That should probably be your first stop.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:14 PM

Williston ND - Homepage

I'd start by researching on this site.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:48 PM

287 posts, read 688,755 times
I dont think that looking for contacts in a forum is something a professional housing developer would do.

I would start calling the city or county.

My 2 cents.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,099 times
Thank you for your replies, everyone. I've forwarded them to the CEO and suggested that he might want to reconsider his trip until he has more info.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneceH View Post
Thank you for your replies, everyone. I've forwarded them to the CEO and suggested that he might want to reconsider his trip until he has more info.
Good idea. Also there are no hotels available within 5 hours of Williston. Bismarck has even started to fill up. Flights were also tough to come by. We had people fly in from TX and they had to fly into billings and then stay in our mancamp. Not good. Pop in visits to Williston are not recommended.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:18 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Just who was your CEO planning to see in December??? First thing a housing developer would do is find out about planning and zoning, and contact the appropriate city officials. Red flag for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota