Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 05:13 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
GRASSY BUTTE A homeowner northwest of here shot and killed a visitor that was discovered lying on his couch Wednesday evening a 38-pound mountain lion kitten.

Reporter kind of had his head in the clouds.

1) Grassy Butte is South West of Minot

2) 38 lb mountain lion, is not a kitten.

It's funny he/she didn't report that the mountain lion was shot with a "Terrible Gun". "No sir, it wasn't a terrible, it was a Smith & Wesson."
Grassy Butte is south of Watford, bout 40 mi. Pretty close to home, lots of wild animals in all the range area, incl. wolves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 05:27 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
What I gather from the story is, even mountains lions are having trouble finding housing in that area.

Jasper Hobbs

Old 12-23-2011, 05:39 PM

477 posts, read 1,506,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
What I gather from the story is, even mountains lions are having trouble finding housing in that area.

Jasper Hobbs

Haha, yes, and apparently they don't like waiting in line at fast food joints anymore either.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:19 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Back in 02' when I was still there in Williston, there were wolves sited in alleys in town. Surely more now. We had deer that would cross the highway, and come graze on my tomatoes, my house is right behind the hospital.
Wolves! WOW! Being from out of state, we would have the occassional coyote roam through our subdivisions looking for loose garbage cans, but that was it.

I live in a rural area west of Williston and I see so many animal tracks in the snow and wonder what they are. Some are big and might be deer, but the others I'm not sure of. Sometimes I walk around my property at night and think about what might be around me and if there's any danger.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:42 PM

454 posts, read 940,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Wolves! WOW! Being from out of state, we would have the occassional coyote roam through our subdivisions looking for loose garbage cans, but that was it.

I live in a rural area west of Williston and I see so many animal tracks in the snow and wonder what they are. Some are big and might be deer, but the others I'm not sure of. Sometimes I walk around my property at night and think about what might be around me and if there's any danger.
If you are out at night, have a dog with you. We live in the boonies, and I do chores outside in the dark (now that it's the short daylight time of year) and I always take my dogs with me, my hope being that if something is out there, it will take the dogs first and give me time to get into one of the outbuildings or the house. There are more wild things around than most people think. We live near the Canadian border, we can see the Turtle Mountains if we go down the road a bit. During deer gun season, my neighbors found lion tracks 1/4 mile from our farm. Now when I go outside, I look up into the trees. At about the same time, 2 lions were seen in a farmyard outside Mohall. You never know what is lurking about .

Old 12-23-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
If you are out at night, have a dog with you. We live in the boonies, and I do chores outside in the dark (now that it's the short daylight time of year) and I always take my dogs with me, my hope being that if something is out there, it will take the dogs first and give me time to get into one of the outbuildings or the house. There are more wild things around than most people think. We live near the Canadian border, we can see the Turtle Mountains if we go down the road a bit. During deer gun season, my neighbors found lion tracks 1/4 mile from our farm. Now when I go outside, I look up into the trees. At about the same time, 2 lions were seen in a farmyard outside Mohall. You never know what is lurking about .
I always have my girls take our big dog with them too even if they are just staying around the yard at the farm. She would definitely let us know if something is mucking about.

Yeah, you never know...Sasquatch comes to mind...I have seen some really weird tracks that looked too big for even men to have made with big snow boots...just saying

Old 12-23-2011, 10:06 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
Thanks so much. That sounds like good advice.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:43 PM

443 posts, read 806,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogirl View Post
I always have my girls take our big dog with them too even if they are just staying around the yard at the farm. She would definitely let us know if something is mucking about.

Yeah, you never know...Sasquatch comes to mind...I have seen some really weird tracks that looked too big for even men to have made with big snow boots...just saying
Those big tracks were made by the big man- we call him Chiye-Tanka in Lakota. The people from Turtle Mountain call him Rugaru. You call him Bigfoot or Sasquatch- all the same being.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa22 View Post
Those big tracks were made by the big man- we call him Chiye-Tanka in Lakota. The people from Turtle Mountain call him Rugaru. You call him Bigfoot or Sasquatch- all the same being.
What is the big man doing in my neck of the woods then? LOL, seriously gives me the chills down my back when I have taken walks down the creek into badlands.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:12 AM

443 posts, read 806,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogirl View Post
What is the big man doing in my neck of the woods then? LOL, seriously gives me the chills down my back when I have taken walks down the creek into badlands.
You are in the big man's neck of the woods. They won't do anything to you if you have a good heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota