Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 11:07 PM

79 posts, read 501,803 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what's it like in the summer time and winter. During the summer are there any theme parks to go to. In the winter do you basically just stay in the house because of the cold? Do you own like big snow equipment to shovel snow? Sorry, if I'm not saying it right I've just never lived in a state with a lot of snow. The closest I've come to snow is living in Maryland for a couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 08:08 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelle93 View Post
I was wondering what's it like in the summer time and winter. During the summer are there any theme parks to go to. In the winter do you basically just stay in the house because of the cold? Do you own like big snow equipment to shovel snow? Sorry, if I'm not saying it right I've just never lived in a state with a lot of snow. The closest I've come to snow is living in Maryland for a couple of years.
Theme Parks? Sorry, you need to understand a little about NoDak. Typically, we don't have any theme parks. The state is very small as far as population, so in North Dakota, we focus a lot on basics. So, if your into basic stuff, North Dakota can fullfill the bill. In winter, now thats a challanging question. We have great and expanded outdoors. Best enjoyed snowmobiling or finding a good cross-country trail to explore. We love ice hockey and some places curling if your into the cold stuff. Otherwise we like to bowl and a few like to sit at a bar and drink. Anyway, my wife and I have moved back to North Dakota after 40 years and haven't been bored a day since. If you live in North Dakota and are bored, my accessment is, you just might be a boring person? Just my 2-cents worth. Hope you find your dream place
God Bless!

Old 11-21-2009, 08:30 PM

79 posts, read 501,803 times
I hope I didn't offend with my post. I just don't know a lot about North Dakota.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:53 AM

95 posts, read 291,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
Theme Parks? Sorry, you need to understand a little about NoDak. Typically, we don't have any theme parks. The state is very small as far as population, so in North Dakota, we focus a lot on basics. So, if your into basic stuff, North Dakota can fullfill the bill. In winter, now thats a challanging question. We have great and expanded outdoors. Best enjoyed snowmobiling or finding a good cross-country trail to explore. We love ice hockey and some places curling if your into the cold stuff. Otherwise we like to bowl and a few like to sit at a bar and drink. Anyway, my wife and I have moved back to North Dakota after 40 years and haven't been bored a day since. If you live in North Dakota and are bored, my accessment is, you just might be a boring person? Just my 2-cents worth. Hope you find your dream place
God Bless!
All the forementioned are the very reasons why im selling my home here in savannah Ga soon and relocating there.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:26 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,909 times
Quote:
I hope I didn't offend with my post. I just don't know a lot about North Dakota.
If you were talking to me, I wasn't offended at all. Yes, people from around the country don't know a lot about North Dakota. But the truth is, many North Dakotans don't know a lot about the rest of the country either. I've had the good fortune to have been around, and I see the difference. I moved back to North Dakota after 40 years this past April, and was the best thing I've(we've) ever done recently. I was actually teasing you with my comment, as many people in the rest of the country only see North Dakota as this frozen tundra, a frozen waste land, but mostly caring and good people. I've met many of them since our move back. Is it perfect? Nope! But perfect would be in the eye of the beholder. No place is perfect on earth. You make it perfect by ignoring the faults. But, the best thing to do if your interested in moving to North Dakota, or any place, just talk to the locals that have been around. Most of them will be honest with you, in my opinion. Good luck in your move!

Old 11-25-2009, 01:19 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,627 times
Quote:
I was wondering what's it like in the summer time and winter. During the summer are there any theme parks to go to.
None that are open year round. Grand Forks has a decent county fair. Fargo has a very good one. Minot has the state fair. I'm sure the Bismarck/Mandan area has a decent sized one. I think most counties have a fair in the summer. The Twin Cities have an Amusement park and Winnipeg has a water park.

Quote:
In the winter do you basically just stay in the house because of the cold?
Some people stay inside during the winter. I'm sure you know people that never go outside even when the weather is beautiful. If the temperature is above zero is it even considered cold? Hockey, curling, snowmobileing, sledding, sking,, and my favourite is ice fishing. Not a big fan of fishing in the summer. I love fishing in an ice house. The list could go on.

Quote:
Do you own like big snow equipment to shovel snow?
Growing up I had a two types of shovels and an big 6 foot icepick/crowbar. The year I moved out my dad bought a little snowblower. I suppose it depends where you live, and how much snow is in the driveway. If its only a couple inches it's faster to shovel. If you have alot, a snowblower is very handy. It takes a looong time to shovel a driveway if the snowcover, not to be confused with how much it actually snowed, is a foot.

Last edited by roundball; 11-25-2009 at 01:29 PM..

Old 11-29-2009, 08:55 PM

350 posts, read 570,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
God Bless!
This pretty much says it all. Most of my time in winter is spent indoors watching tv, or at the bar enjoying a drink with friends. Even if you're not much of an outdoors person (which sadly, I'm not right now) you can find things to do to keep you occupied. You learn to have fun without being overly entertained by things like themeparks or dance clubs. Spending time with friends and enjoying each other's company is enough for most folks here and we're fine with that.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,599 times
I may be going to NoDokata sometime this week looking for work is it really like they say it is? I mean there arnt enough people to fill the jobs?Also if anyone could tell me the cost of living if there is room?Also if there is any money to be made there?

Old 11-26-2011, 06:42 AM

454 posts, read 940,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpplease420 View Post
I may be going to NoDokata sometime this week looking for work is it really like they say it is? I mean there arnt enough people to fill the jobs?Also if anyone could tell me the cost of living if there is room?Also if there is any money to be made there?
All of the answers to your questions vary depending on what part of the state you are coming to. Are you headed for the western part, eastern part, central part? Housing is non-existent in some areas (western and central) and if something comes open you can plan to spend a lot of money on it. If you haven't already done so, take some time to read through all the threads about N.D., most of your questions will be answered. Let us know what area you plan to be going to and we could be much more specific. Good Luck and keep us informed on how it goes for you.

Edit: Sorry about that - I re-read and see you are looking to come to Fargo.

Last edited by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska; 11-26-2011 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: Reading comprehension error on my part.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:55 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Best to follow the advice of the previous post, there are some threads that address all your questions on the North Dakota forum. Be very proactive in researching the area you are planning on visiting. There are several posts that point out many negative situations re: winter relocation, again depending on what area you are inquiring about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota