Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,023 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm wondering if anybody can give me there views on the best places to live in North Dakota. I know very little about the state and only consider moving because of the good economy there and the small town spirit. Unfortunetly I have no college degree but I have experience in retail and could probably work in the shipping and recieving industries because I worked on the dock at a retail store. Fortunetly my fiancee has experience in labor such as roofing and concrete. could he find a job like this in North Dakota? Or could he maybe work in the oil industry? Also I have two small children who will start school soon. Probably before we move. We are looking to move around next summer after we are married. Neither one of us can afford a house so renting is must and depending on how good our jobs are, we'll probably need a cheep apartment. I've only heard good things about North Dakota...except the weather but I'm not worried about that. I just want to live in a town thats not to big but has jobs we can find easily... or at least easier then here in michgan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 09:48 PM

42 posts, read 115,135 times
I know of least one oil services company in Minot area that says they are hiring with no prior oil experience. They say you're home every eve. I can't recall the name, but when I see the TV ads/billboards when I get back from Minneapolis, I'll PM you. I suspect you'd have no trouble in Minot. ND led the nation in job growth last year.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:03 AM

13 posts, read 52,009 times
Well I moved here from the Detroit area last October. Got the whole family here at around Christmas. Michigan was pretty much a pit so we decided to take a chance. I think you and your husband will be able to find work here in Fargo. Seems like there's a lot of hiring right now so that works out pretty well. There are lots of shipping and heavy equipment companies so your job should be ok. Home starts in Fargo are up 42% from last year so I would think roofing and concrete work would be easy to find.

Fargo has lots of renters (i'm told like 50%) so you'll want to look around for a place. You'll be able to find something, but might take a couple months to find something you want. We are renting a nice 4 bedroom house w/ 3 car garage for less then our 2 bedroom Condo in Michigan.

Winter sucks but traveling within the city is pretty easy just have to get used to it.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:49 AM

7 posts, read 21,873 times
Hello! my family and I moved to minot nd from california and i really do like the town its not to big i think 30,000 people. theres a lot of fun stuff to do and everyone is very nice and friendly. theres a lot of job opportunities here but i still want to move back to cali. very hard to find a place to live.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,023 times
Thank you everybody. your info was very helpful. unfortunetly my fiancee lost his job this morning so were now looking to move sooner then next year. I did happen to look at jamestown and I like what ive seen and heard about it. does anybody know anything about Jamestown?

Old 07-29-2010, 08:29 PM

42 posts, read 115,135 times
Default Jamestown

Drove through yesterday. Seemed rather smalll, but big enough for a Walmart and a small college. I'd still prefer a larger town. Besides, Western ND is where the oil boom is.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:13 PM

394 posts, read 1,170,637 times
Live in Jamestown. Good solid town. Remodeled middle school and a new high school. New library in the next few years. Low crime, affordable housing. Lots of recreation (hunting, fishing, and boating). Not too big, not too small. Jobs are available.

I have rental property and getting a contractor around here is like pulling teeth, they are generally very busy. They are usually looking for good workers too.

Any other questions just ask.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:14 PM

746 posts, read 1,730,566 times
A company in Thief River Falls, Minnesota has been hiring literally hundreds of employees, as they are a electronics supplier for companies around the world. They are in major need of shipping and receiving employees, and now employ around 2000. Many of their employees drive relatively long distances because Thief River only has around 8000 people. Thief River Falls is about 50 miles NE of Grand Forks, ND.

DigiKey Corporation Careers | Career Center | DigiKey

Two other companies in NW Minnesota also have been hiring, Polaris Industries (in Roseau) and Arctic Cat (also in Thief River Falls).

In North Dakota, although Williston has a huge amount of jobs, housing is very very limited unless you make high dollars. Avoid Williston for now. Even in Minot and Dickinson, there will be difficulty finding housing, but there should be plentiful work. Keep in mind that some of the oil field work is often dangerous and some of the jobs have hours that are not conducive to family life. Bismarck, Fargo, and Grand Forks probably offer a better compromise of housing and job opportunities.

In a smaller town in SE ND (Gwinner) is a company called Melroe Bobcat (they make the little Bobcats often found in warehouses/ construction). Recently they closed their plant in Bismarck and moved all the jobs to Gwinner. They have a couple of openings that match your background.

Current Opportunities with Bobcat Company - Bobcat Company

Last edited by fourwinds; 07-29-2010 at 09:46 PM..

Old 08-12-2010, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,810 times
I am also looking to move, have a background in welding, steel handling and manufacturing in general. Looking for a good community in ND, hockey is a must though. Oil fields probably not an option as I like to spend time at the rink coaching kids or being a part of their teams. My wife is a certified trainer. What is a good spot to land

Old 08-12-2010, 09:10 PM

419 posts, read 1,398,180 times
For hockey, and I'm sure that Dan in EGF can affirm this, head to the NE quarter of the state. Hockey is huge in Grand Forks, Grafton, Park River, and over the MN border in Thief River Falls, Warroad, Roseau, etc. There is youth hockey in Fargo and West Fargo, but not near the consuming interest that it is farther north.
In the past, there has almost always been demands for welders, but I'm not sure about the current situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota