Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:01 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
All true.
I am fortunate enough to live in the country. Neighbors care about each other enough to look out for and help each other. But not so much as to mind your business for you. The exception being the Jersey folks who moved here. 3 out of 4 of those families are in a feud with someone at all times.
Starting petitions because they don't like the smell of the local farms manure systems. Those farmers and their systems were here before the Jersey folks moved to town.
Petitions to get their dirt road paved. We like lower taxes. If you don't like dirt roads don't buy a house on one.
Petitions about ATV riders. Well don't move to the country if you don't like ATV riders.
Petitions because the local fair is to loud. Once again its a country way of life. Its 1 week out of the year.
Then the never ending feuds with anyone and everyone who lives within a mile of them.
This isn't unique to my area its all the towns around us have the same complaints.
Why do people relocate to places with cultures they can't stand?

They just dont like us Pensyltuckians and our way of life!! LMAO

Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
They just dont like us Pensyltuckians and our way of life!! LMAO
LOL well they obviously didn't like living in Jersey either. No doubt because of all the feuding. LOL
Its not just Jersey folks. We get people from the valley moving up here and some of them try to force everyone to change for them.
We had one family their son liked skateboarding. No harm no foul with that. That is until he started acting the fool and harrassing old timers walking on side walks. Well that might be ok in Pittston but not in our town.
His parents were stunned that their neighbors were poed about it. Then they started demanding a skateboard park!!! How about you build one in your own yard?

Old 07-13-2010, 05:45 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
His parents were stunned that their neighbors were poed about it. Then they started demanding a skateboard park!!! How about you build one in your own yard?
I'm sure that would go over like a lead balloon with their neighbors. If there is one thing PA has no shortage of it's negativity and Can't Do It-itis.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm sure that would go over like a lead balloon with their neighbors. If there is one thing PA has no shortage of it's negativity and Can't Do It-itis.
You feel its acceptable for skateboarders to run folks off of side walks?

Old 07-14-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
You feel its acceptable for skateboarders to run folks off of side walks?
Mhm. That is exactly what my response meant. Yep.

Quote:
LOL well they obviously didn't like living in Jersey either. No doubt because of all the feuding. LOL
Its not just Jersey folks. We get people from the valley moving up here and some of them try to force everyone to change for them.
We had one family their son liked skateboarding. No harm no foul with that. That is until he started acting the fool and harrassing old timers walking on side walks. Well that might be ok in Pittston but not in our town.
Quote:

Old 07-15-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Old folks should get out of the way of kids on skate boards?
Are you one of those who allow your kids to run around in stores?
In restaurants?
nice.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Old folks should get out of the way of kids on skate boards?
Are you one of those who allow your kids to run around in stores?
In restaurants?
nice.
Ok. Apparently I'll have to spell it out for you.

Quote:
This here?^ Sarcasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01
See the bolded question? Here was my response to it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25
Quote:
I was talking about the ire that would be raised by a family putting a skateboard park in their own yard.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:55 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
what is wrong with skating or skate parks?
Are football and cheer leading the only acceptable sports?
wow...

Old 07-15-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Are football and cheer leading the only acceptable sports?
wow...
Nothing is wrong with the above.
Provided its done in a safe, constructive and controled manner.
A skate park would be okay if the population of the town supports it.
Our town has a small population and can't afford to build such a specialized park and the insurance that would go with it. Nor would we want to raise our taxes for one. In Fact Elk lake school district doesn't have a football team.
Once again I live in a small town. 1 traffic light and its a blinker. Most folks are happy with the baseball field and basketball courts.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Nothing, the problem is as mentioned when they get on crowded streets or sidewalks and the same can be said about bicycles and many other things kids do. Then there is all the damage they do sliding on benches, curbs etc. FIY I used to be avid bicyclist and have been known to ride a ramp or two with a skateboard in my youth. It would be great to have skate parks all over the place as long as they were self sustaining but they are expensive to run especially with the insurance because the same parents screaming for the park will also be the first ones going to the lawyer when little Johhny stubs his toe at the park.

It's hard to blame the kids because they don't have anywhere to go but riding them on public sidewalks and streets it's not very safe for either themselves or other pedestrians especially in the manner they ride them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania