Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:27 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Oh about city vs rural: I have an extremely hard time relating to marchawg's assertion that rural schools have less fights than other places. I just don't see it. Rural families and culture are usually the ones that instill that kind of thing in their kids, from what I've seen.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:21 PM

331 posts, read 639,888 times
I'm saying my experiences are from rural schools. Not ALL rural schools are like that.

Most of the people in the rural areas I grew up in all know each other anyway, class size is generally smaller and if you do something stupid, there's a good chance your parents will find out about it before you even get home.

I do know of a lot of people who had/have guns, but none of them would ever promote violence with them. I can't think of any of them who were NOT hunters. Gun owners in the city usually have other reasons for having them.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:26 PM

I'm not even talking about gun culture, really. I am talking about the whole rural attitude of taking care of things like "men" and hashing things out between people, rather than involving an authority figure, etc.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:43 PM

331 posts, read 639,888 times
That's not limited to rural areas. Just look at gang violence, the whole reason it exists is taking care of things like "men."

I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make. The gun culture reference was to sheena, but the idea that rural people are all backwards and want to fight is just ridiculous. You'll find no more rural people wanting that than you will city dwellers in my experience. I've run into more issues in the city just because of the sheer volume of people, and that was my original question of city vs rural. It had nothing to do with generalizing the entire population based on where they live.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:58 PM

Ok. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:11 PM

11 posts, read 48,238 times
Hi! I know this thread is old and kind of got off topic a little with the school debate but I was just wondering what ever came of this. I am looking to rent an apartment and there is one on Mallery Place and I decided to do some research and came upon this. I am looking at it tomorrow. Sure, I can spend a little time and get a feel for the area by walking, but that only gives you a small view of an area. 15 minutes can't be long enough top determine the everyday routines in that area. Does it change at night to a ragin druggie party, etc.? I realize the typical crime, etc. that goes along with a city, it's who you hang out with, yadda yadda, but just wondering if the OP ever did rent that house on new mallery and how it worked out. Perhaps someone else has some input that would be great. Thanks!

Old 01-14-2011, 05:16 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surrendertotheflow View Post
Hi! I know this thread is old and kind of got off topic a little with the school debate but I was just wondering what ever came of this. I am looking to rent an apartment and there is one on Mallery Place and I decided to do some research and came upon this. I am looking at it tomorrow. Sure, I can spend a little time and get a feel for the area by walking, but that only gives you a small view of an area. 15 minutes can't be long enough top determine the everyday routines in that area. Does it change at night to a ragin druggie party, etc.? I realize the typical crime, etc. that goes along with a city, it's who you hang out with, yadda yadda, but just wondering if the OP ever did rent that house on new mallery and how it worked out. Perhaps someone else has some input that would be great. Thanks!

go at night and count the number of pit bulls being walked on a nice day

Old 01-15-2011, 01:00 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Yes it is an old thread and so many things have changed in my life - and in my perception of Wilkes Barre, and of urban life, that I look back on what I look and I want to hide under a rock.
I am different now.
I live in Wilkes Barre North End.
We have decided to send our high school students to Hily Redeemer. And we are not Catholic. We are happy with the school and so are our children.
I still think that South Wilkes Barre has some of the nicest, and most beautiful homes in the area.
I am so very glad that we chose to move to Wilkes Barre!
Hope that this is of help to you.

PS New Mallory Pl is a nice street. The house that we were looking at did not pass our inspection.
Nothing wrong with the neighborhood though.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:51 AM

996 posts, read 1,057,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm not even talking about gun culture, really. I am talking about the whole rural attitude of taking care of things like "men" and hashing things out between people, rather than involving an authority figure, etc.
Authority Figures?

Let me relate a quick story...

Two years ago my friend's 17 yr old daughter got involved with the wrong element. She hooked with an area lowlife, POS, drug dealer. Over the course of 6 months she went from a great young girl, great student, to a crack-addicted (fill in the blank) that abandoned all contact with her family. My buddy and his wife were at wit's end..

He talked to the local cops - they could do nothing - not even bust his butt to jail for dealing drugs (even though it was comMon knowledge around the small town that the boyfriend's house was the crack house). Calls to the district attorney's office yielded nothing, calls to the Pa State Police , Nada.

His wife called Luzerne County Children & Youth. Since the daughter was attending school (just enough to avoid FT truancy), they were unwilling to assist or get involved - and the one FOOL at that agency had the nerve to question the parent's parenting skills !!!

That was the end of my friend's rope!!!

He paid a visit to the crack house, knocked on the door and the pos low-life answered the door and gave a wiseguy response to the inquiry of his daughter's whereabouts.

Wrong answer - my buddy polished the floor with the low-life, and presented him a HD CLose-UP View of a barrel of a Smith & Wesson Revolver and a promise that if his daughter was not at his home by nightfall then real trouble would return that night.

How do I know this?

I drove my friend to the crackhouse.

Two days later, my friend's daughter was entered into rehab, has been clean since, and is now in college maintaining high grades.

The pos low-life crack dealer is an inmate at Chase State Prison after being caught and convicted of armed robbery.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do - especially when it comes to protecting kids.

Authorities???

Puhlease - spare me.

Country Justice prevailed, a much better scenario that have his daughter further involved in the system full of PHD desk jockeys who do a great job of spreading "victimhood" around,, and profiting nicely from it.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:45 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
And do not talk about RURAL schools - most really infamous school shootings have taken place there,
where gun culture prevails.

Ignorance is bliss I guess. Which infamous school shootings took place in a rural setting(i.e. country)?

Please explain the whole "gun culture prevails" comment.

Coming from the NY, NJ pre-world war II nazi gun policy regimes in those states I guess you would only see those that use, carry or own guns as some law breaking thugs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania