Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 12:11 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

Reston Runner my kids who are Lutheran, as I am, and they attend Holy Redeemer HS and I am well acquainted with Roman Catholic beliefs concerning communion.

My children are not allowed to partake of Roman Catholic Communion. My Lutheran Church ELCA - celebrates an open table where any baptised Christian can partake.

I am not sure about Missouri Synod , but since you are Missouri Synod you can partake.

Personally I would go to a Lutheran church and if you have any doubt ELCA accepts gay people as members and Pastors.

We also marry where permitted by law.

Have a Great Christmas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 03:48 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I'm going to go to a church service Christmas Eve. I'm hoping to go to "Midnight Mass" at my neighborhood Catholic church. Question: As a Protestant am I allowed to attend a mass, or are Catholics in some sort of elite "club"? I'm aware I probably should sit out Holy Communion, but even if I went up to take the wine and bread with everyone else how would they know?
RR... I was raised Catholic. One may call it a club, but anyone can convert as with many religions so it's certainly not elite. You'd be very welcome to attend mass, midnight or any Sunday, at any Catholic church & if you've never been you might enjoy the spirit & music of Christmas with your new community.

I've never seen a Catholic church which gives actual bread/wine to parishoners... I have seen that only once at a Lutheran service as a child... I attended with a Lutheran friend. The priest drinks wine mixed with annointed oil at the altar with a host (unleavened in some churches, not in other branches) symbolizing the body & blood of Christ which is within us all. Only blessed hosts (called Holy Eucharists) are given to parishoners, who have gone to confession beforehand & have done penance (individual prayers given by a priest). Even Catholics cannot receive communion if they haven't gone to confession and/or said an Act of Contrition.

One receives communion (the 3rd sacrament) after one has been baptised (the 1st sacrament) as a child, then received (the 2nd sacrament) of confirmation as an adolescent. They're done in order, of course... no passing Go & skipping to stage 3.

It's not so much anyone knowing, but in knowing what you're doing in symbolism... affirming your Catholicism by accepting the Holy Eucharist. Since you're not Catholic... well, you can figure out the rest. If you instead attended temple, you'd want to respect the rules/rituals/customs of that religion/church/congregation, as well. Should you attend & not be familiar with the rituals, just follow along with the congregation... there are periods of sitting, standing & kneeling at different times. People should be kind & understanding if you lean over to see which page in the books (provided at each pew) they're on so you may follow along silently or read along outloud if you wish. You're not obligated to repeat scripture, sing or place money in the collection basket.

Your neighbors will no doubt sense you're unfamiliar & help you along if you need a bit of hand holding. I guess it's what we call the spirit of Christmas. That being said, I would think most Christian/Catholic churches would welcome anyone from their community. As a last point to make you more comfortable (& you'll no doubt wonder anyway), Catholics genuflect (kneel & bless themselves with the sign of the cross) whenever they pass in front of the altar... this is why you'll see everyone bending to one knee before going into their seats & again before leaving and/or if they walk from one side of the church to the other. Of course, someone who is older or has a physical limitation may do more of a curtsey.

Rather than just replying no, I thought I'd offer an explanation so you know why it's best not to take communion & so you feel more comfortable at mass. Should you attend mass or any other church, enjoy your new town & Christmas in your new home.

Merry Christmas & Happy, Healthy New Year, to you & everyone reading this!

Old 12-23-2010, 04:59 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Patanji twist, just one little oops! in your very informative reply...Catholics are Baptized, usually shortly after birth. In second grade, having attended religious instruction classes, they make their First Penance, (confession), and then First Communion. The other sacraments are Confirmation, which takes place somewhere around age 12 or 13; Matrimony, Holy Orders, and Extreme Unction, (or Last Rites.) It is not necessary to wait until after Confirmation to receive Holy Communion.

Baptism is indeed the first sacrament received, but First Penance is the second and Holy Eucharist, (communion) is the third.

Thanks for the good wishes and Merry Christmas to you.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:25 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Good post with good advice! Merry Christmas to you and your family! I'm so excited about Christmas, after having spent a rather cold night chasing cattle in western Loudoun!
That sounded like quite an unexpected adventure! Not sure even RR will have a story to top that one!

Old 12-23-2010, 11:48 AM

224 posts, read 228,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
You're right, they won't know. But when that big-a$$ thunderbolt comes down from the sky, you'll know. Merry Christmas.
I remember the Nuns telling us that if we took Communion without confessing, or if a non- Catholic took Communion, the minute the wafer hit your tongue your mouth would start to bleed the body of Christ and there was no way one could staunch the flow of blood...

So Reston Runner, just a Caveat...Don't do it!

The Sistah's know what dey talkin' 'bout...fo' sho.

Another tip, Don't eat the yellow snow.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:13 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Patanji twist, just one little oops! in your very informative reply...Catholics are Baptized, usually shortly after birth.
Firstly, forgive me if I misspoke on any of the points... well, as much as one can speak in writing.

Briefly, baptism, right, infant baptism is what I implied (I did say child). Let's not forget converts, however... adults are also baptised Catholic & confirmed... my Welsh Protestant grandfather was baptised/confirmed as an adult in order to marry my Irish Catholic grandmum, I'm guessing before 1920... that was a mixed marriage in those days & not allowed by the Church. I'm guessing it's the same today?

Quote:
In second grade, having attended religious instruction classes, they make their First Penance, (confession), and then First Communion.
Every parish/state differs. My 1st penance was in 1st grade.

Quote:
The other sacraments are Confirmation, which takes place somewhere around age 12 or 13; Matrimony, Holy Orders, and Extreme Unction, (or Last Rites.) It is not necessary to wait until after Confirmation to receive Holy Communion.
I know the sacraments, however, I'm not sure the OP or any non-Catholic is interested in getting bogged down with too much instruction. BTW, I was confirmed at age 9, not as a teen... again, parishes differ. In our small, mostly protestant town, we had to wait for the Biship to visit every 4-yrs... meaning some kids were younger & others were far older. Not sure what the protocol is today.

You're right, you can receive communion after 1st penance... sorry for my error.

Quote:
Baptism is indeed the first sacrament received, but First Penance is the second and Holy Eucharist, (communion) is the third.
Not sure you're accurate on 1st penance. I did look it up. But, I would suggest you PM me if you like. I'm not sure our technical points will add to the post... I'm guessing the OP & moderators will agree. But, I'm always willing to learn & admit a mistake & I would like to know... I find different info.

Bottom line is everyone is welcome into the church for mass (I'm sure you will agree), but should honor the rituals of the religion & practice respect for the congregation. This applies to any religion, imho.

Quote:
Thanks for the good wishes and Merry Christmas to you.
I hope the OP is able to attend & enjoys Christmas Mass. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:23 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
So I just got done recently tonight making Christmas Cookies........It is such a tradition that it could not be missed.
I have the table set and the gifts out....all for the reason that we would like to go out and about tomorrow.
I am one of those people who like to experience Christmas Eve...and all the hustle and excitement.
Music in the air.....the night with lights and sparkle.
Really our shopping is done, but I can find a thing or two to brighten the day....
Merry Christmas to everyone .......Your a great group of NEPA friends.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:37 PM

210 posts, read 402,426 times
This is My first NEPA Christmas, and absolutely lovin the area. We are going to a friends house tonight, in-laws tomorrow for Christmas dinner and a traditional roast goose with all the trimmings Sunday with Christmas Pudding already made and partially eaten, lol. Had the tree and outside lights up for a while now and love the look of all the decorations in the snow,(after 27 yrs in the snow-less south. Merry Crhistmas to all and to All a good night

Old 12-24-2010, 03:39 PM

32,618 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Thanks for the insight about mass/worship services. I've decided to go onto CraigsList to try to secure a "date" (of some sort) for the evening instead. It will beat loneliness.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:05 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coalboy View Post
I remember the Nuns telling us that if we took Communion without confessing, or if a non- Catholic took Communion, the minute the wafer hit your tongue your mouth would start to bleed the body of Christ and there was no way one could staunch the flow of blood...

So Reston Runner, just a Caveat...Don't do it!

The Sistah's know what dey talkin' 'bout...fo' sho.

Another tip, Don't eat the yellow snow.
I recall the nuns trying to extort mine (and the other kids) candy money for their mission fund.

Sorry, but I was evidently baptised and confirmed in the wrong Roman Catholic Church where $ was the prime motivator to keep up the maintenance on the new Caddy's parked behind the rectory.

I walked away from the organized money-grubbers.

I still go to church every Sunday morning - but it's located on a wooded path or the middle of a stream. I feel closer to the Big Guy there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania