Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which best describes your job situation?
Out of work voluntarily 4 10.26%
Out of work involuntarily, looking for work 16 41.03%
Out of work involuntarily, not looking for work 2 5.13%
Gainfully employed 17 43.59%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:45 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
I got laid off in may after being employed at a good paying job for 3 years. I have been tying like all hecck to find a decent paying job that isn't half of what I was making before. I have filled out, I'd say, close to 30 applications over the last six months. Out of those, I only had 2 interviews neither which have called me back. I was making about $20/hr and I simply cannot settle for a $10/hr job. I literally make more on unemployment then I would if I took a $10-11/hr job. The state has offered to pay for trucking school, which I start on Monday, but I really, really DO NOT want to be an over the road trucker. I have two young children who I enjoy spending time with. Over the road trucking for a newbee is pretty much never being home (maybe twice a month if your lucky). I am gonna go to the school regardless and then hope and pray for some kind of local driving position or at least regional where I can get home at least on the weekends, but from what I here it is slim pickins for brand new Class A CDL drivers. I reallly don't know what else to do. I am having NO luck out there. I used to be able to apply for like ten jobs and out of those ten seven would call back, nowadays you are lucky if anybody at all calls back!
W-B proud,

I do not want to discourage you. I wish you luck at your new profession.

I do want to point out a major problem with truck driving. The Panama Canal expansion should be completed in the next five or so years. Many of the cargo/container ships that used to come into Long Beach CA can make the trip to the east coast. There will be many transcontinental truckers that are now competing for local jobs. The Pan American Highway is not helping and most unions are running scared.

I am retired - I do currently hold a class A CDL. I am just warning you to keep your eyes open and be ready to be flexible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 08:56 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,782,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
I have lot's of websites saved for job hunting if anyone is interested...if your 50 or over it can be tough because once you hit the Big Five 0 your considered dead wood in almost all industries especially I/T where I work...I'll be hitting the Big Five 1 next month and it worries me...thankfully I work for a company that prides itself on not letting their people go...supposedly they move you around to different departments...I've been with them since 2006...believe it or not social websites like LinkedIn, Facebook, and even Twitter are known to be magnets for job seekers and companies looking to fill open slots...I was reading an article the other day about it...so if you think their not worth it your excluding yourself from sites that ARE looked everyday by these companies...like I said I have lot's of websites saved if anyone's interested...I'm currently on the night shift so I'll respond later tonight to any requests...
I would be interested in those websites, thanks!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:59 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
Let me add my name to the involuntarily unemployed stats......but I'm in Florida and cannot even collect unemployment....even though I worked at the same institution for almost 18 years; plus I too just passed the big 50, which does not help matters. It's bad everywhere but according to the statistics....Pennsylvania is better off than Florida....the real estate bubble burst here early and it's about the worst in the country.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:18 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,957,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Let me add my name to the involuntarily unemployed stats......but I'm in Florida and cannot even collect unemployment....even though I worked at the same institution for almost 18 years; plus I too just passed the big 50, which does not help matters. It's bad everywhere but according to the statistics....Pennsylvania is better off than Florida....the real estate bubble burst here early and it's about the worst in the country.
I don't understand the reason for your inability to collect UC. Can you please explain?

I am unemployed, involuntarily, for the last 10 years. I am no longer seeking employment. The company I worked for, making a good salary and good bennies, packed up and moved the operation to Allentown under a bankruptcy restructuring. (Our satellite office was profitable, but the overall company management was lacking). At the time, I was 65, and already collecting SS and Medicare-eligible.

I applied for similar positions in three local companies that did the same work. One didn't respond, two interviewed and said I was "over-qualified" which is CYA-Speak for "too old". I was willing to take the lower starting salary and forego the bennies, but no matter.

I ended up collecting UC for 26 weeks and then a second and yet a third tier for a total of 52 weeks.

I am no longer seeking employment.

Last edited by theatergypsy; 01-30-2011 at 07:32 AM..

Old 01-31-2011, 05:32 AM

30 posts, read 78,101 times
And another 57 year old , IT professional for 25 years at a major corporation. Laid off last June, now looking for work. Hmmm, is there a pattern here?

Old 01-31-2011, 08:19 AM

996 posts, read 1,057,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilady View Post
And another 57 year old , IT professional for 25 years at a major corporation. Laid off last June, now looking for work. Hmmm, is there a pattern here?
If I may make a suggestion to you (or anyone else that has professional skills they can perform on their own):

Have you tried selling your services via direct contact with business owners or managers (either letters,phone calls, or visits)?

Many businesses need such services, may have been putting them off due to current economic conditions, and are looking for a deal if they can find one.

I am not suggesting selling yourself for peanuts, but if you can beat the prices of Manpower type outfits that charge an hourly rate inclusive of payroll taxes, their profit margin, etc., you may find opportunities as a self-employed contractor.

Sure beats waiting for Monster.com.

Especially when your age is a detriment to many Human Resource managers.

I hired a guy from Hazleton last year (62yrs old) on a contract basis, to build and install a new server and all the wireless gizmos for my business. I saved alot of money, he made a very good buck. WIN-WIN.

Get out there and pound pavement the old fashioned way - you might be surprised how much demand there may be for your services.

Best of Luck to All Those Looking.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:07 AM

18 posts, read 55,689 times
I use to work for a company in the business incubator building in Wilkes-Barre until last December when I and about 30 others were let go. Good thing for me was that I was getting my masters and took advantage of my new found free time to study abroad in Berlin and Prague for the Spring. The job search has been hectic ever since I got back. MBAs don't have too much of a market in the area unfortunately and I've been looking into the possibility of relocating somewhere else since I have nothing keeping me locally anymore but that is difficult in its own way since out of state companies show a preference for local applicants

Old 02-01-2011, 05:39 AM

30 posts, read 78,101 times
thanks varminblaster for the suggestions. I will give that approach a try

Old 02-01-2011, 12:50 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
If I may make a suggestion to you (or anyone else that has professional skills they can perform on their own):

Have you tried selling your services via direct contact with business owners or managers (either letters,phone calls, or visits)?

Many businesses need such services, may have been putting them off due to current economic conditions, and are looking for a deal if they can find one.

I am not suggesting selling yourself for peanuts, but if you can beat the prices of Manpower type outfits that charge an hourly rate inclusive of payroll taxes, their profit margin, etc., you may find opportunities as a self-employed contractor.

Sure beats waiting for Monster.com.

Especially when your age is a detriment to many Human Resource managers.

I hired a guy from Hazleton last year (62yrs old) on a contract basis, to build and install a new server and all the wireless gizmos for my business. I saved alot of money, he made a very good buck. WIN-WIN.

Get out there and pound pavement the old fashioned way - you might be surprised how much demand there may be for your services.

Best of Luck to All Those Looking.
I agree 100 percent with these suggestions. After being unable to find a job in my field after graduation, I took the bull by the horns and started working for myself. I'm not wealthy by any means but I'm making a decent living and I'm able to be financially solvent.

Better yet, I have something to put on my resume so potential employers see that I have experience in my field.

I'm not in IT but my significant other is, in a management position. According to him when a resume crosses his desk that shows the person had the initiative to do their own consulting and IT work, he sits up and takes notice.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:10 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,625,319 times
I have given 2 weeks notice at my part time job, If anyone knows anything about SPC / 6 sigma, PM me and I will give you info on the job opening.. it is 3 days a week, part time..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania