Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:35 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Scranton certainly doesn't feel like a city to me. I don't get a city vibe from Scranton. It's not a real city and the downtown will never have that "city life" feel to it, ever.
Can I borrow your crystal ball? Pretty please with sugar on top?

Old 04-11-2011, 07:04 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,561 times
I've said this before, Archie doesn't even want to go to Scranton

YouTube - All In The Family - Edith's Problem 3-3

Old 04-11-2011, 07:08 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I've said this before, Archie doesn't even want to go to Scranton

YouTube - All In The Family - Edith's Problem 3-3
If Archie Bunker is too classy for Scranton, then Scranton has a major problem!

Old 04-11-2011, 07:18 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
I agree. I think Scranton gets alot of ridicule because it "acts" like a big city, and it simply is not. It just seems to me that the mayor, the local news, and certain groups try to sell Scranton as a cosmopolitan, artsy fartsy, high society metro, when in fact it is a dying, post industrial, blue collar town. Maybe in North Dakota Scranton would pass as a major city, but in the shadow of New York, Philly, Washington etc. it is a tiny insignifigant town. When i see your snobby mayor claiming that Scranton is Pennsylvania's best city, I can't help but roll my eyes. Perhaps he never left Lackawanna County! It's this high flutin' attitude that often gets Scranton at the butt end of many jokes (and well deserved in my opinion). Scranton has much more in common with Shickshinny then it does with NYC in my opinion. Everytime you open a newspaper or turn on the news you hear Mayor Doherty braggin about some gala or how great Scranton is. Well everytime I'm up there I see a city with all of the same problems Wilkes-Barre has. Empty storefronts, dirty neighborhoods, crumbling infrastructure. If Scranton was a person it would be the dorky suburban white kid that acts and tries so hard to be a big city gangsta rapper...it's fake, it's an act, and everyone seems to know it but him...(that's my opinion of Scranton in a nutshell) The sad fact is Scranton wouldn't be such a bad place if it accepted what it really is and stopped trying to be something it is not. It's a mediocre small city that brags way to much about it's mediocrity. I also think that is why Scranton often places in national magazines in a less then flaturing light (many times a "worst of" something or other), and is often the butt of many jokes. It is a dying, rust belt, small city...everyone seems to know this but Scranton itself. To city residents it way seem like hometown pride, but to the rest of the world you look like pompous a$$e$, bragging about something mediocre, like the whole Joe Biden thing. Firsts of all the guy is the biggest two faced polotician I have ever seen, he left Scranton when he was ten (never to return BTW), and blatantly uses Scranton like a cheap ***** whenever it is in his interest or when he is campaigning for something. He has been a Delaware resident for the last 50 years!!! but Scranton acts like he is "thier son" and he is something to brag about and be proud of. If that is your big claim to fame, you can keep it! It's that pompous attitude that really turns me off. That's one of many examples. That's just my opinion
It sounds like you are suffering from city envy to me.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:20 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
Shm

Old 04-11-2011, 11:11 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
It sounds like you are suffering from city envy to me.
Nope,
WB Proud hit the nail on the head. I was born/ raised here. Scranton IS a good place to live.. .IF you can overlook the corruption and the same political families who have sucked .the lifeblood out of the city for their own and their families personal gain.Doherty has tried to make it something it isnt, instead of embracing what it is, a mid sized town with homegrown values. Theres nothing wrong with that.
Dohertys "mission" stated in his own byline is the "perception" of what he wants people to believe, the TRUTH is vastly different than his " perception"

Theres nothing wrong with the truth.. Scranton, minus the *******s who are raping it is a good place to live. get rid of the *******s and Scranton will thrive!!!
P. S. If one person votes for Mc Dowell , who lost 13 million dollars and wants a higher position, I will rest my case!!

Old 04-12-2011, 03:30 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Can I borrow your crystal ball? Pretty please with sugar on top?
Don't need a crystal ball my dear, I got my own two eyes and I've been seeing the same thing for 9 years with no change in sight.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:44 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Don't need a crystal ball my dear, I got my own two eyes and I've been seeing the same thing for 9 years with no change in sight.
That realllllyyyy doesn't mean you can tell the future.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:17 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
P. S. If one person votes for Mc Dowell , who lost 13 million dollars and wants a higher position, I will rest my case!!
What is that clown running for this time?

Old 04-12-2011, 07:55 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
What is that clown running for this time?
Don't feel bad...Scranton looks like it is run by God fearing nuns compared to what goes on in Luzerne County. Luzerne County has to have more corruption "per capita" then anywhere else in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania