Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 07:50 PM

246 posts, read 593,212 times

Advertisements

The Bottom line you need to do your home work .Rent out a place for the weekend and look around the Community to see if it's for you.I love when people talk bad about a community and they have never been in there or have not been in there for 10 years.I live in Saw Creek and have nothing but good things to say about it but that is me .You need to go in and see for yourself what's going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 09:18 PM

22 posts, read 34,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offwing View Post
The Bottom line you need to do your home work .Rent out a place for the weekend and look around the Community to see if it's for you.I love when people talk bad about a community and they have never been in there or have not been in there for 10 years.I live in Saw Creek and have nothing but good things to say about it but that is me .You need to go in and see for yourself what's going on.

Thanks, Offwing. I do plan to rent for a few weekends. Our schedule is kinda tight so I want to get a good sense, or screen carefully, before we decide where we should rent.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:21 AM

3,937 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offwing View Post
I agree with you but as Riverside says, "don't walk around with blinders on." My impression of Saw Creek, in particular, was that it seemed like a decent community. The stories I heard are otherwise. Tons of foreclosures and sheriff sales in this community. An attempted kidnapping of a child just occured there last week. Nothing against Saw Creek or Bushkill in general but the OP is asking for sound advice. Not advertisement. I live in Bushkill and although I like it, there are problems. A very scenic area and generally quiet for the most part. However, there is a ghetto element in this area that needs to be addressed. Lehman Township doesn't have a police force so that leaves the State troopers. It isn't priority for them unless something major goes down(i.e., kidnapping in Saw Creek). IMO, if the township starts to address quality of life issues, it will help in cleaning up the urban element that wants to turn these areas to corner delis in the ghetto.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I agree with you but as Riverside says, "don't walk around with blinders on." My impression of Saw Creek, in particular, was that it seemed like a decent community. The stories I heard are otherwise. Tons of foreclosures and sheriff sales in this community. An attempted kidnapping of a child just occured there last week. Nothing against Saw Creek or Bushkill in general but the OP is asking for sound advice. Not advertisement. I live in Bushkill and although I like it, there are problems. A very scenic area and generally quiet for the most part. However, there is a ghetto element in this area that needs to be addressed. Lehman Township doesn't have a police force so that leaves the State troopers. It isn't priority for them unless something major goes down(i.e., kidnapping in Saw Creek). IMO, if the township starts to address quality of life issues, it will help in cleaning up the urban element that wants to turn these areas to corner delis in the ghetto.
Wow! Thanks for the insight. Child kidnapping, even if an "attempted" one, is too scarry. Too bad I liked the scenic aspect of Bushkill . But I would think twice. I may need to go to some other places in the Poconos and explore. Any suggestions?

Old 10-06-2011, 07:41 AM

I think you mentioned Tannersville a few posts back. That was an area I targeted but the realtor was slow on the draw with a house I wanted. Anyway, I would look into Sciota, Saylorsburg, Brodheadsville to the south. Milford, Lords Valley, Dingmans Ferry to the north. Happy hunting!!

Old 10-09-2011, 08:36 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,562 times
Default Too ODD

Quiet life, I had a similiar situation where the Realtor appeared lathergic. I thought it was odd so I've utilize another Company and sure enough identical outcome. Must be something in the water or just me (military mind-set; Complete the job expeditiously).

Old 10-10-2011, 04:02 PM

Not you. It is par for the course in house hunting. Just as shopping for houses is a chore. Shopping for a good realtor is a chore as well.

Back to the OP, Leissbb, how is your hunt going?

Old 10-10-2011, 05:10 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,936,722 times
If you are looking to rent and need to as far as keeping your house within budget, then investigate some of the websites like VRBO. Certain areas (Jim Thorpe, Lake Harmony, and Wallenpaupack come to mind) have tons and tons of rentals and lots of vacancies, especially "off season."

My in-laws live in Tannersville, very close to Camelback. They have done lots of research and plan on doing short-term vacation rentals up there once they fully relocate to their other home. So perhaps a home close to the Tannersville area would indeed work for you for both yourself and the rental potential. Weekend traffic up there is a horrendous nightmare when Camelbeach/Camelback are in full swing, but if you time your travel judiciously it becomes much less of an issue. The real estate taxes have also astronomically increased, so be sure to check those as well.

Good Luck!

Old 10-22-2011, 12:04 AM

Thank you very much Karen. Your information is encouraging. I have concerns over the soaring property tax as well . I'll keep looking.

To Quiet life, my house hunt is going slow. For one thing I haven't really made up my mind on the location yet so I'm looking at a couple of areas and being contacted by a few agents. The right house just didn't seem to show up yet. But I'm patient .

Old 10-23-2011, 07:15 AM

No rush, Leisbb. In fact, winter time is the best time to house hunt. May get an even better deal since it is a slow time for realtors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania