Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 04:29 PM

5 posts, read 15,437 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to the Pittston area. My husband will be there the end of September and myself and children will come in December. I am looking for a Boy Scout troop in the area. My son will soon be working on his Eagle Scout badge and I want to get him signed up as soon as we get there. Can someone tell me what area in Pittston or close to Pittston that we need to look at to do this? Any information you can give me will be extremely helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 08:40 PM

996 posts, read 3,280,174 times
Here is the website for the local boy scouts. I'm sure if you call them they will be able to help you out:

Welcome to NEPA BSA Home Page

Old 08-19-2007, 09:06 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Boy Scout Troop 285 meets in Duryea, which is just north of Pittston. My best friend Jim attained his Eagle Scout rank from that troop, which seems to be very active in the community. There was just a story on WNEP about how this troop helped with a military ceremony at the St. Joseph's Seminary in Laflin to honor the 4,100+ who have thus far made the ultimate sacrifice in Iraq and Afghanistan in order to valiantly serve our nation. My daily commutes from Pittston to Wilkes-Barre take me past the seminary along Highway 315, where a large field of flags (one for each fallen hero) sits majestically on the front lawn facing the commuter belt. I believe that today's ceremony was held to signal the end of the display, which will then move to another location in the U.S. It was especially nice to see on WNEP how the father of a fallen soldier from New Jersey, who just happened to be passing by the ceremony at the time, spoke out to honor his son's memory.

There hasn't been a soul here in Greater Pittston that hasn't been touched by this massive display of patriotism.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:35 AM

620 posts, read 2,056,573 times
The first time I saw that display I just started immediiately balling up. It is really an amazing and moving display. I didn't realize it was a traveling memorial. If only there were a field large enough to display a flag for every human life that has been lost in Iraq and Afghanistant since the beginning of this war.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christad5 View Post
I am relocating to the Pittston area. My husband will be there the end of September and myself and children will come in December. I am looking for a Boy Scout troop in the area. My son will soon be working on his Eagle Scout badge and I want to get him signed up as soon as we get there. Can someone tell me what area in Pittston or close to Pittston that we need to look at to do this? Any information you can give me will be extremely helpful.
Hello, We have a boy scout troop & cub scout Pack in Duryea, PA which is right next door to Pittston. Our boy scout troop is sponsored by the American Legion Post and the legion members are all a big part of our activities. We offer a year round program. We work on merit badges together in the troop patrols. We have 30 scouts & 12 active leaders.
we had 1 boy just make eagle in March. 2 finished their projects and are awaiting eagle boards. 2 are getting their project ready for fall and 1 for spring. We meet on thursday nights 6 - 7:30 pm We have a court of honor scheduled for Sept. 27 at 5:30 and hold another one in March. We had 22 boys attend summer camp with 7 leaders. We went on the traveling camporee to Canada and will attend the Williamsburg one next Oct. We have 3 family camping weekends during the summer & 1 Webelos overnighter for just the patrol & new webelos scouts. We have been here since 1992. Several of our boys & leaders are in the Order of the Arrow. If you are interested or need more information please contact me at mrseds65@verizon.net Welcome to the area.....Ann
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania