Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:16 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks!
A good friend of mine is thinking about leasing with option to buy in a community called Stillwater Lakes in the Poconos. It is served by Pocono Mtn West School District. She has two little kids 6 and 5.
She currently lives in Boston and is paying very high rent.
Can anyone say anything about this community - good bad or indifferent?
She and her DH are very sold on this particular house.
Thanks!!
Oh I looked a bit into the school district and ummm... I am not going to say anything just yet until I pose this question to the Experts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 01:32 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Friends of ours had a house there and sold it about 2 years ago. They liked it and used it as a vacation home as they live in Brooklyn. The only reason why they sold it was because they wanted to buy something in Brooklyn. I think they were very happy there.

d

Old 07-27-2009, 02:19 PM

124 posts, read 294,194 times
I attended Pocono Mountain High School before it divided to East & West. Of the two, I would rather send my children to PM East, but I'm moving to Lackawanna County because I don't want to send my kids to PM at all. Of course, at ages 5 & 6 they have a long time before they get into high school, so there's always a possibility that PM wouldn't even be the high school they attended anyway. The elementary schools are excellent within the PM district.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:50 AM

4 posts, read 25,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Hi Folks!
A good friend of mine is thinking about leasing with option to buy in a community called Stillwater Lakes in the Poconos. It is served by Pocono Mtn West School District. She has two little kids 6 and 5.
She currently lives in Boston and is paying very high rent.
Can anyone say anything about this community - good bad or indifferent?
She and her DH are very sold on this particular house.
Thanks!!
Oh I looked a bit into the school district and ummm... I am not going to say anything just yet until I pose this question to the Experts!
Stillwater Lakes Assoc is a nice community - for the most part, good neighbors. Reasonable HOA dues. I've had vacation home there for 20 years. Schools - would suggest a private one - school ratings when compared to PA as a whole on the low side. But, then again, it depends on the child - if they want to learn, they will.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:14 AM

177 posts, read 466,708 times
Are you talking about SL Civic Association or SL Estates...two different places. If you are talking about SL Civic Association, it is serviced by both PM West and East. I drive a bus for PM. Out of all ther kids I have ever driven on a school bus, I found the SL Civic Association kids to be some of the rudest, disrespectful, undisciplined kids I have ever had to deal with on a bus. If the kids are like that, I can just imagine the parents. I'd never consider moving there.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 7,570 times
Kids are kids. I have several -now my friends who I sold to in both Stillwater Lake Estates and Stillwater Lakes Civic Association. Both areas are nice however Estates is going through the problems with their lake being drained. Either way both areas are tranquil, security patrolled and are close to major Pocono attractions.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-07-2011 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: removed personal info

Old 04-08-2011, 01:43 PM

120 posts, read 225,720 times
Well...the community may be nice...but I would not want to send my kids to Pocono Mountain SD. They should look for a community served by the Delaware Valley SD or Wallenpaupack SD if they want to be in the Poconos and get a top quality education for their kids.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:08 AM

6 posts, read 17,856 times
I am moving to SLCA and I like the house I've seen. Can anyone can tell me the cheapest way I can van pool to the George Washington bridge and how much?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-11-2011 at 02:51 PM..

Old 11-11-2011, 06:39 PM

734 posts, read 1,635,751 times
When my son was in high school, they built Pocono West. They also built the police building next door to it. I felt that the new school was segregation for the most part because Poc West had all of PCP and Pocono Farms (not talking about the nice one). He never rode the bus. It was a horror show. I drove him back and forth until he had his license. If your friend wants a school that is a police state, filled with wanna be gang members, rowdy, disrespectful, arrogant, drugs, guns, etc., then tell them to move there. Of course, as one poster responded, the kids are young yet but they will grow and I don't see any way the area that uses that school is gonna get better. I can't tell you how the schools are for the younger set but I would guess many of them are gangsters in training.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:40 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new pocono cummuter View Post
I am moving to SLCA and I like the house I've seen. Can anyone can tell me the cheapest way I can van pool to the George Washington bridge and how much?
You might want to open up a thread based on your question so you'll get more quicker responses to your question...burying your inquiry inside of another will take you longer to get the information your looking for...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania