Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 02:10 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,124,406 times

Advertisements

$36 an hour in a factory? Hmmmmm Almost 80k a year in a factory in NEPA? maybe for an engineer with a degree, but otherwise I doubt that, sorry...

As far as PennDot, state job, unless you know someone then good luck getting it, the line starts around the county...I mean corner..

Construction? Really? $36 an hour? Masons? maybe a union mason with 20 years in, but good luck finding that one, you'll start out as mason laborer killing yourself for peanuts...

Construction at 436 an hour? Where for who? You'll start out as a site laborer for peanuts as well, those high paying positions are for those that have PUT THEIR TIME IN and worked up to it or earned....You will never walk into the construction industry and start at $36 an hour...

Do you just pull stuff out of the air?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 04:10 PM

144 posts, read 223,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
$36 an hour in a factory? Hmmmmm Almost 80k a year in a factory in NEPA? maybe for an engineer with a degree, but otherwise I doubt that, sorry...

As far as PennDot, state job, unless you know someone then good luck getting it, the line starts around the county...I mean corner..

Construction? Really? $36 an hour? Masons? maybe a union mason with 20 years in, but good luck finding that one, you'll start out as mason laborer killing yourself for peanuts...

Construction at 436 an hour? Where for who? You'll start out as a site laborer for peanuts as well, those high paying positions are for those that have PUT THEIR TIME IN and worked up to it or earned....You will never walk into the construction industry and start at $36 an hour...

Do you just pull stuff out of the air?
Oh, yeah. I forgot that you have worked at every place that offers employment in the valley & are endowed with the knowledge of all wages offered by each place.

I know where I get my facts, the question is the source of your disagreement.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:07 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,124,406 times
,I have been working in construction for a long time as a side job and winter employment when needed. My friends are full time masons(union) and mason laborers. I also have worked for large demo companies including an implosion project here in Scranton few years back. I work under many hats, have to if I want to continue to be a fishing guide and charter boat Captain in NJ. Two jobs that NO ONE does to get rich around here...You do it because you love it and fill in the gaps doing what you lnow...i.e. construction.

Like I said nobody starts out as a mason or construction worker making $36 an hour....

Sarcasim aside I worked and lived in many countries and jobs, I was a very fortunate youngman blessed with a very successful father who encouraged me to see the world, learn many trades and follow my heart whereever it took me and he helped me achieve many goals around the world....So yes I have been there and done that many times...I speak from experience not youthful wishful thinking...I have packed a lifetime into the last 25 years....

Old 06-12-2012, 05:41 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,400,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
No there is nothing wrong with it, but if the majority of jobs available in this area are retail jobs, then be prepared for this area to never be prosperous again.
Damn right there is nothing wrong with it. I'll add making fun of people in those jobs is pretty damned low. Just because someone works a low paying job does not make them stupid.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCityTrash View Post
I don't believe Mr Yuk was trying to demean the people who work in retail. I think he was just commenting on the dire straights of their situation. I'm pretty sure he was showing sympathy, not resent.
That's charitable. In my world, making fun of people is pretty far down the road from sympathy.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Like it was ever going to be prosperous again to begin with...... I guess its just me and my slighted view of the world, but this region/area is done and has been done for close to 60 years, maybe more.

Whether its retail or industrial its all $9 to $11 an hour jobs...Its the baseline for salaries in this area, there are few good jobs and they are taken, so unless you work in the medical field or at a law firm it is what it is. There are more qualified, educated people then there are good jobs for them in this area..

Before steelcity pipes in about SUV's and BMW's spare me because most of those people are buried in debt to keep up with the Jone's..TRUST ME I know more then a few people, even state employees that are in foreclosure or running from the Repo man because they wanted an Escalade, BMW or Hummer and really couldn't afford it on top of their mortgage..

Just because they are shopping and driving fancy cars doesn't mean crap, they are charging the shopping and starving to afford the car...Hell my former business partner had 50k in credit card debt and was barely making 25k a year, but hey he was fancy and had to go to the shore all the time and buy the latest and greatest fishing equipment on top of his rent, car payment and bills...Last I heard he was living in RI semi-homeless shoveling mulch and dirt just to survive....

Old 06-12-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCityTrash View Post
There are a lot of factories, and I mean A LOT around here that offer between $16-$36 an hour. Many construction/masonry jobs offer about the same. PENDOT will even pay you $15 an hour to hold a sign.
Which factories?

Old 06-12-2012, 06:05 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,868,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Damn right there is nothing wrong with it. I'll add making fun of people in those jobs is pretty damned low. Just because someone works a low paying job does not make them stupid.
Who made fun of people in those jobs? I just said we would be better off with some good jobs that pay a living wage rather the tons of low-paying retail, call center, and warehouse jobs this area is overrun with...

Old 06-12-2012, 06:57 PM

Is that what this post was saying Mr Yuk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Hey, 9 bucks an hour? dats good money dere. Dee only ting better would be fer Cuzzin Stosh to get ya a job wit "da kowny." You kin buy lotsa beer wit dat money. Hayna er no?

Old 06-12-2012, 08:52 PM

32,629 posts, read 77,826,207 times
Sorry to jump in a little late to the conversation (working 70 hours per week will do that to you), but I don't see what Mr. Yuk said that caused you to become so offended, Magritte. His "heynabonics" was making fun of those who hail the mediocrity of the Wilkes-Barre Township sprawl as being "economic progress" instead of aspiring for better. You're forgetting I worked for Lowe's, Magritte, for numerous years, and while Lowe's actually compensates most of its employees fairly well I still knew that most of my co-workers were struggling. There's nothing wrong with working in retail. There IS something wrong with the economy of your area, though, when such jobs are viewed as being desirable career opportunities with people lining up around the block for $9/hr. starting wages with little or no benefits.

I currently work in financial services (suit-and-tie) by day while delivering food in a black polo shirt by night, so I know that people who work in "unskilled" professions like that (and retail) are often working harder for less pay than their white-collar peers. Nobody is trying to make fun of your friends, Magritte. At the same time, though, Wal-Mart of all places shouldn't be as revered in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre for its "excellent retail career opportunities" as it is.

thecoalman nailed it. Ideally the arena could have been and SHOULD have been built at the foot of Coal Street to help spur additional economic growth in the heart of the city. As far as impending traffic woes are concerned you could have added an extra lane in each direction on Wilkes-Barre Boulevard between East Market Street and the North Cross-Valley Expressway fairly easily, and Coal Street could have easily been widened (which I believe it has been, although it's been a very long time since I've been in Wilkes-Barre). There is PLENTY of room there for parking---assuming garages were built instead of surface lots. I realize what's done is done, but if Baltimore, Pittsburgh, DC, and many other cities are having amazing success with Downtown sports venues, then Wilkes-Barre and Scranton both REALLY dropped the ball on getting in on that action also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania