Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 07:31 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,980,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Sorry to jump in a little late to the conversation (working 70 hours per week will do that to you), but I don't see what Mr. Yuk said that caused you to become so offended, Magritte. His "heynabonics" was making fun of those who hail the mediocrity of the Wilkes-Barre Township sprawl as being "economic progress" instead of aspiring for better. You're forgetting I worked for Lowe's, Magritte, for numerous years, and while Lowe's actually compensates most of its employees fairly well I still knew that most of my co-workers were struggling. There's nothing wrong with working in retail. There IS something wrong with the economy of your area, though, when such jobs are viewed as being desirable career opportunities with people lining up around the block for $9/hr. starting wages with little or no benefits.

I currently work in financial services (suit-and-tie) by day while delivering food in a black polo shirt by night, so I know that people who work in "unskilled" professions like that (and retail) are often working harder for less pay than their white-collar peers. Nobody is trying to make fun of your friends, Magritte. At the same time, though, Wal-Mart of all places shouldn't be as revered in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre for its "excellent retail career opportunities" as it is.

thecoalman nailed it. Ideally the arena could have been and SHOULD have been built at the foot of Coal Street to help spur additional economic growth in the heart of the city. As far as impending traffic woes are concerned you could have added an extra lane in each direction on Wilkes-Barre Boulevard between East Market Street and the North Cross-Valley Expressway fairly easily, and Coal Street could have easily been widened (which I believe it has been, although it's been a very long time since I've been in Wilkes-Barre). There is PLENTY of room there for parking---assuming garages were built instead of surface lots. I realize what's done is done, but if Baltimore, Pittsburgh, DC, and many other cities are having amazing success with Downtown sports venues, then Wilkes-Barre and Scranton both REALLY dropped the ball on getting in on that action also.
Once again, yours is the only valid POV. The fact that you think the arena should have been built at the foot of Coal Street shows how forwardthinking you are NOT. It's done. It's built. Move on.

As far as spurring economic development in "the heart of the city", exactly how far away do you think the arena is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 08:33 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,853,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Once again, yours is the only valid POV. The fact that you think the arena should have been built at the foot of Coal Street shows how forwardthinking you are NOT. It's done. It's built. Move on.

As far as spurring economic development in "the heart of the city", exactly how far away do you think the arena is?
Not close enough to create foot traffic for downtown businesses. But it is in a location perfect for packing the tables at the Olive Garden for some mediocre frozen corporate food.....or to shop at the Wally World.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:58 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,465,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Its called humor, a joke....life is short, learn to laugh. Nobody ever said that everyone around here talks like that. But even though it is somewhat dying out, the NEPA dialect is still fairly common around here. So I tink I'll go wahk da dahg, getta a cuppa cahfee with some melk in it and a sangwich, den close da light and lay down on my pellow for a while. Hayna er no?
Actually, that lingo is near & dear to my heart!! All my relatives talked like that, & they were STELLAR people!! They worked their a$$e$ off to raise their "famlees", were honest, law-abiding REAL people...& their word was GOLD!!! I thank my lucky stars that I was raised by a buncha "backward", LESS THAN $9.00 an hour people!!! That's where I get my stellar work-ethic, my honesty & my faith & spirituality!!

I get the humor in it & love it!!!! And frankly, I'll take a whole city of "heynas" over the phony Pottery Barn shopping, "get-the-F-outta-my-way" SUV driving, mega-mansion owning, "I know what's best for you", "my $hit-don't-stink", holier-than-thou "educated" & "cutting-edge" crowd ANY day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(JG steps off soapbox....)

Old 06-14-2012, 09:08 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,853,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
phony Pottery Barn shopping, "get-the-F-outta-my-way" SUV driving, mega-mansion owning, "I know what's best for you", "my $hit-don't-stink", holier-than-thou "educated" & "cutting-edge" crowd
There's plenty of them around here too...its called the Abingtons, Back Mountain, and Mountain Top. And in other pockets around the valley too.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:16 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,465,681 times
Quote:
There's plenty of them around here too...its called the Abingtons, Back Mountain, and Mountain Top. And in other pockets around the valley too.
We get them mostly in the Winter when they flock down for our nice weather. They actually sicken me with their rude attitudes.

Now, on topic, maybe they should build a Heyna Museum where the Sterling was...

Old 06-14-2012, 10:52 AM

144 posts, read 223,691 times
Quote:
Its called humor, a joke....life is short, learn to laugh. Nobody ever said that everyone around here talks like that. But even though it is somewhat dying out, the NEPA dialect is still fairly common around here. So I tink I'll go wahk da dahg, getta a cuppa cahfee with some melk in it and a sangwich, den close da light and lay down on my pellow for a while. Hayna er no?
I seen you can get 3 hoddogs for fie dolluhs over one a dem stands. Pretty good deal, heyna? I seen some people dere, but idunnoium.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Yes, this post was offensive. But I was having a cardiac catherization done yesterday and wasn't able to respond. How can you expect to attract people of quality to this area when you perpetuate the myth that it's populated by a bunch of haynas?

Working a $9./hr job is preferable to sitting home and collecting welfare benefits because a low-paying job is "beneath" you.

There was a point in my life where I was working three part-time, no benefit, jobs to keep shoes on my kids' feet and food in their bellies. And for the record, I never said "dese, dose, dem and hayna", nor do most of the people with whom I associate. I find your use of the vernacular to be mean-spirited.

Funny how people with jobs are critical of those who are striving for one.
I think everyone took that post to heart WAY TOO MUCH! As Mr Yuk said, it's a joke. Yes, not everybody here talks like that, but it is the accent & speech pattern particular to this area. Not everyone in Virginia has a southern accent. Not everyone in New York talks like a mobster. That doesn't mean nobody does.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
We get them mostly in the Winter when they flock down for our nice weather. They actually sicken me with their rude attitudes.

Now, on topic, maybe they should build a Heyna Museum where the Sterling was...
Anthracite Museum! We are THE DIAMOND CITY! I say we build an anthracite museum at the site of the Fell House, where Anthracite was first burned & we can tear down those years vacant, non-historically relevant buildings across the street for a parking lot. As for the Sterling site, what ever goes there has to be both tall & pretty. It's the western gateway to our city & it marks the entrance to the downtown area. Don't get my words confused. It doesn't need to be 300 ft tall, but another four story brown cube that doesn't catch any eyes would be stupid.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:12 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,980,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCityTrash View Post
I think everyone took that post to heart WAY TOO MUCH! As Mr Yuk said, it's a joke. Yes, not everybody here talks like that, but it is the accent & speech pattern particular to this area. Not everyone in Virginia has a southern accent. Not everyone in New York talks like a mobster. That doesn't mean nobody does.
Everyone? As far as I can tell, there were only two of us, Magritte and YT. Yes, it is a speech pattern particular to this area. And having lived in other parts of the country, I have heard their local accents as well. (Matter of fact, I have had people tell me that my place of origin can be designated by my accent, and they're usually wrong, but I digress). The accent is not the problem. It is the mean-spirited way in which it was used, as if to indicate that the only people who would take a $9./hr job are the people who (allegedly) talk that way.

Funny, when a person is called out for something another found offensive, the standard answer is "It's just a joke." meh

Old 06-14-2012, 05:04 PM

Back on topic. There was some talk months ago that Mohegan Sun might have been interested in the Sterling property. Does anybody know if that offer is still on the table?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania