Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 07:03 AM

941 posts, read 1,805,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I'm thinking that you might be happier in upstate NY or Northern NJ. Sorry, but the people that move here from NY, NYC or NJ, the less and less our towns are going to stay in "Pennsylvania Mode"......

It's time we start to stem the overflow from the east and save what little of eastern PA is left from the grip of transplants and all the issues they bring with them....

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but your looking to flee to PA to get away from the brashness of the city, but you will inevitably bring it with you in some manner or another...We don't really need it or want it. We have enough as it is.

No offense to you oersonally, but it is what is and has been for decades....The steady decline of Eastern PA at the hands of those running from the issues in NJ & NY.

Weluvpa, not sure if you were asking me (OP) to [politely] move to NJ or upstate NY. = "but your looking to flee to PA
to get away from the brashness of the city, but you will inevitably bring it with you in some manner or another...
We don't really need it or want it.

Darlin', I live in a tiny town in Virginia that just recently made the statistic of having a population of 2,000 because Peggy Sue had twins,
a genetic gift from her maternal grandmother's side of the family ~ then her sister Marva decided to return home to take
up residence in her grandmothers house, (who had passed last Fall, God rest her sweet soul, and her kickin' chess pie recipe (which she took to her grave)*).

Now Marva & Hoyt have two sets of twins, three years apart, which had single handedly raised the population of our little town [your calling a city?] with our one Post Office,
a mini-mart gas station, and four churches.

We are 5 miles to the nearest city of 6,000.. we leave our door unlocked, keys in our cars and we help
our neighbors in times of need. We have a trust from untarnished behaviors.
We show up to dig memorial gardens, and to prepare the elementary school's playground for another year of safety..
people in our town share and leave bags of garden harvest without a note on doorsteps of others.
It is an endearing Southern story, an everyday love-walk without even thinking it out or intentionally planning to.
We are all deeply fortunate to know life this way, without having to look over our shoulder at yesterday and not know we have done well with the hours and minutes.

I'm requesting a town, if there is any in PA?? a quiet simple request: one family wants to lead a gentle life amongst others with the same intent.

There is a pace to this.. it is being mindful to others from a lilted, softer point of view.

When someone spouts off their tongue, we cringeand forgive them,
but prefer to not get close to the flailing fish out of icy waters. Case in point.

--->>> Weluvpa I'm quite certain, we would not be bringing our city brashness with us,
but would hope to spread our civic contributions, forgiveness and pies and our sense of humor too.

Maybe you might not feel we are acceptable humans for your great state of PA.. I didn't come here to rant either.

*Now here's that recipe you may have been wondering about. Its awful darn good, so be careful!
Invite a friend over to share some with a tall sweet tea (now that's livin'). This in not the granny's actual recipe, but one akin to hers...
Chess Pie Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Last edited by CourageMom; 08-10-2012 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 09:38 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,827,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I'm thinking that you might be happier in upstate NY or Northern NJ. Sorry, but the people that move here from NY, NYC or NJ, the less and less our towns are going to stay in "Pennsylvania Mode"......

It's time we start to stem the overflow from the east and save what little of eastern PA is left from the grip of transplants and all the issues they bring with them....

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but your looking to flee to PA to get away from the brashness of the city, but you will inevitably bring it with you in some manner or another...We don't really need it or want it. We have enough as it is.

No offense to you oersonally, but it is what is and has been for decades....The steady decline of Eastern PA at the hands of those running from the issues in NJ & NY.
But didn't you move here from NJ?

Old 08-10-2012, 11:10 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,959,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourageMom View Post
Weluvpa, not sure if you were asking me (OP) to [politely] move to NJ or upstate NY. = "but your looking to flee to PA
to get away from the brashness of the city, but you will inevitably bring it with you in some manner or another...
We don't really need it or want it.

Darlin', I live in a tiny town in Virginia that just recently made the statistic of having a population of 2,000 because Peggy Sue had twins,
a genetic gift from her maternal grandmother's side of the family ~ then her sister Marva decided to return home to take
up residence in her grandmothers house, (who had passed last Fall, God rest her sweet soul, and her kickin' chess pie recipe (which she took to her grave)*).

Now Marva & Hoyt have two sets of twins, three years apart, which had single handedly raised the population of our little town [your calling a city?] with our one Post Office,
a mini-mart gas station, and four churches.

We are 5 miles to the nearest city of 6,000.. we leave our door unlocked, keys in our cars and we help
our neighbors in times of need. We have a trust from untarnished behaviors.
We show up to dig memorial gardens, and to prepare the elementary school's playground for another year of safety..
people in our town share and leave bags of garden harvest without a note on doorsteps of others.
It is an endearing Southern story, an everyday love-walk without even thinking it out or intentionally planning to.
We are all deeply fortunate to know life this way, without having to look over our shoulder at yesterday and not know we have done well with the hours and minutes.

I'm requesting a town, if there is any in PA?? a quiet simple request: one family wants to lead a gentle life amongst others with the same intent.

There is a pace to this.. it is being mindful to others from a lilted, softer point of view.

When someone spouts off their tongue, we cringeand forgive them,
but prefer to not get close to the flailing fish out of icy waters. Case in point.

--->>> Weluvpa I'm quite certain, we would not be bringing our city brashness with us,
but would hope to spread our civic contributions, forgiveness and pies and our sense of humor too.

Maybe you might not feel we are acceptable humans for your great state of PA.. I didn't come here to rant either.

*Now here's that recipe you may have been wondering about. Its awful darn good, so be careful!
Invite a friend over to share some with a tall sweet tea (now that's livin'). This in not the granny's actual recipe, but one akin to hers...
Chess Pie Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Why in he!! are you lookin' to move? Sounds like the very thing you're looking for in NEPA you already have in Old Virginny.

I'd trade places with you in a New York minute if my family would come with me.

On a side note: No matter how innocuous the post, it ends up in a pi$$ing match. It isn't fun anymore.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Why in he!! are you lookin' to move? Sounds like the very thing you're looking for in NEPA you already have in Old Virginny.

I'd trade places with you in a New York minute if my family would come with me.

On a side note: No matter how innocuous the post, it ends up in a pi$$ing match. It isn't fun anymore.
There are loved ones close to heart up north. We want to be nearer to them (but not live in NY or New England, minus the higher COL & taxes). We wanted to post a request looking for a town(s) that are low/no crime, good schools, a walkable, usable downtown, w/activities, a YMCA, a movie theater, etc..

We are not contentious people.. we were just asking for a comfortable place to call home where we might shelter ourselves from a certain influence.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:33 AM

I think Honesdale may be your best bet in NEPA.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I think Honesdale may be your best bet in NEPA.
Very kind of you to share as you have, and the others who have shared town names.
I get the sense those who know the area well are a good judge what fits best where.

Last edited by CourageMom; 08-10-2012 at 12:11 PM..

Old 08-10-2012, 11:43 AM

Honesdale does have some amount of NY transplants, but it still seems like a friendly place and has pretty much all of the things you're looking for.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:53 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,104,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Honesdale does have some amount of NY transplants, but it still seems like a friendly place and has pretty much all of the things you're looking for.
I used to work in Honesdale and really liked it. You could walk into the local cafe and see the Wayne County Commisssioners eating lunch alongside local business owners, farmers, blue collar workers, etc. Very salt of the earth place.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I used to work in Honesdale and really liked it. You could walk into the local cafe and see the Wayne County Commisssioners eating lunch alongside local business owners, farmers, blue collar workers, etc. Very salt of the earth place.
Sounds very sweet.. like a time gone by..

A great image MatildaLoo.. thank you!

Old 08-10-2012, 01:15 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
I'd recommend Honesdale, Montrose (a tad too small perhaps), Tunkhannock (also perhaps a bit small), Palmerton, and Jim Thorpe in NEPA. In North Central PA I'd recommend Bloomsburg, Lewisburg, Selinsgrove, Danville, and perhaps even Muncy or Montoursville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania