Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 04:57 AM

941 posts, read 1,806,354 times

Advertisements

Just looking for a calm slow pace, not a place where people fly off the handle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 05:52 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,461,379 times
LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!

I was born & raised in Manhattan, loved it, & wouldn't have wanted to have been raised anywhere else!! But to this day, when I tell someone I'm from NY, I always add "but I'm a nice one"!!!

As Michael J. said, the bad apples always ruin it for the whole bunch...

And I just HAVE to add that it must be OK to bash all "Mid-Westerners" though....no double-standards here!!

To the OP: NEPA is like anywhere else on the planet. It's got it's good, it's bad, it's glories & it's failures. Do your own independent research & if you can, take a coupla weeks & drive around & EXPERIENCE each place (along w/it's residents) 'cause opinions are like a$$holes...everyone's got one!!

Old 08-09-2012, 07:06 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,567,314 times
I think we all know what the OP is referring to - the stereotypical New York City person. This quote sums it up pretty well:
Only in the Apple – A New York City Blog » New York Stereotypes: We don’t like you either…most of the time.
Quote:
Before I moved to New York I often heard the stereotypes of the inhabitants: they’re rude, pushy, snobby, and always in a rush. Last year I talked of New Yorker’s as “them” compared to “me.”Now, a year later, them = me. And you know why? It has little to do with one’s personality and everything to do with the pace of the city. Although I was never a slow-paced, exactly easy-going person, I’ve found that my traits have only been enhanced by my surroundings.
Please posters, don't take it personally. The OP is NOT talking about YOU. She's talking about a vibe. Everyone, including the OP knows people that fit the stereotype and people that don't.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:06 AM

941 posts, read 1,806,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!

I was born & raised in Manhattan, loved it, & wouldn't have wanted to have been raised anywhere else!! But to this day, when I tell someone I'm from NY, I always add "but I'm a nice one"!!!

As Michael J. said, the bad apples always ruin it for the whole bunch...

And I just HAVE to add that it must be OK to bash all "Mid-Westerners" though....no double-standards here!!

To the OP: NEPA is like anywhere else on the planet. It's got it's good, it's bad, it's glories & it's failures. Do your own independent research & if you can, take a coupla weeks & drive around & EXPERIENCE each place (along w/it's residents) 'cause opinions are like a$$holes...everyone's got one!!
where was bashing of mid-westerners?

Old 08-09-2012, 11:09 AM

24,140 posts, read 32,557,987 times
We who are from NY originally, something that we can't help anymore than the color of our skin.

Perpetuating stereotypes is really never OK.

Yes TBT, I know all to well what traits you refer to - pushy, bossy loud and aggressive, with a harsh grating accent - the NY er Stereo type.
Last year a poster who enjoyed making fun of both NEPA, and NY - particularly LI. He was from the Lehigh Valley.

He once said that he did not want to go to a certain amusement park because of the "Long lines of people talking in that obnoxious Long Island accent." That sentence was deleted by you.

It hurts to be stereotyped. It's not a matter of being PC or anything. It's a matter of good manners and being kind.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:45 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,461,379 times
I saw nothing evil or "derogatory" in the OP's statements. She just stated fact, & the fact is that NY'ers are still perceived stereotypically...BECAUSE OF THE WAY SOME ACT!!!

And if you think I'm being cruel, heartless, etc., or don't think it's correct, just come on down to South Florida during snowbird season & see for yourself firsthand!! Also, we full-timers will be MORE than happy to enlighten y'all on just how rude, obnoxious, loud, pushy, etc. NY'ers STILL are!!!

Now back to our regular programming...

Old 08-09-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourageMom View Post
Are there any NEPA towns where the pace, the people, and courtesy are still in Pennsylvania mode, that have not had the overflow from the east?

Mod note - The thread title was changed to reflect the intent (I hope!) of the OP.
Can we please get back to the OP's request? Let's focus on the Pennsylvania positives that she is looking for.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:44 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,190,727 times
Actually, what the OP wants, is a tranquil life. Here is a link to what they want to escape: Megalopolis and its Rivals | Newgeography.com

Right now there is talk about building a 1200 room water park about two and a half miles from my house. Our major cities are slowly but surely spreading father west. My area is not the same area that I grew up in fifty and sixty years ago. If the housing market goes up; I would be inclined to sell and move farther west – away from the cities. I always like the area north of Williamsport, PA. Of course; there would be many from upstate New York in that area (no offense meant). Now we have to worry about the new gas fracking industry.

I hold nothing against city people – I just like solitude. I try to treat everybody as an individual. I also love upstate New York – I just like forest, hills and lakes. Everything is a tradeoff – as we get older we also want to be closer to emergency medical care and shopping.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:03 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,109,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourageMom View Post
Are there any NEPA towns where the pace, the people, and courtesy are still in Pennsylvania mode, that have not had the overflow from the east?
I'm thinking that you might be happier in upstate NY or Northern NJ. Sorry, but the people that move here from NY, NYC or NJ, the less and less our towns are going to stay in "Pennsylvania Mode"......

It's time we start to stem the overflow from the east and save what little of eastern PA is left from the grip of transplants and all the issues they bring with them....

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but your looking to flee to PA to get away from the brashness of the city, but you will inevitably bring it with you in some manner or another...We don't really need it or want it. We have enough as it is.

No offense to you oersonally, but it is what is and has been for decades....The steady decline of Eastern PA at the hands of those running from the issues in NJ & NY.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:40 PM

Couragemom, you may find this interactive map helpful: American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

Realtors, See This.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania